Review: Thorens TD203 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rattlin' Bones, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrabsJarrard

CrabsJarrard Well-Known Member

This thread pushed me over the edge. After shopping for a used Sl-1200 and never finding a deal I liked, I grabbed this table from Rutherford with the 2M Blue and a LCR MKIII preamp to replace my Audio Technica LP120. Hopefully all goes well. I'll try to have it all setup by tomorrow.

Manimal, brendans and Dan Steele like this.
  2. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Please report back, it seems like a pretty good price for that TT while it lasts

3. brendans

brendans Forum Resident

Should be a great setup. Looking forward to your impressions.

Manimal likes this.
  4. clercqie

clercqie Forum Resident

Also give some impressions with and without the Lounge, please! My next upgrade should be my phono pre-amp, and the Lounge seems the best of the entry-level bunch. :)
    (Although it's more costly here in Europe than in the States).

5. CrabsJarrard

I've spent the entire day trying to get this table set up and I'm tired of dealing with it. Either I'm a ***** (most likely) or I'm in over my head. I'm not used to this type of tonearm and the whole thing feels like it's gonna fall apart. The cartridge end fo the tonearm is diving down towards the platter even with the weights on or off the arm. I am unable to balance the tonearm (or even get close) and after 4-5 hours of frustration, I just let the thing fall onto a junk record to test and I'm 70% sure that the azimuth needs adjusting. As the record spins, the output jumps between the left and right channel (though the left channel is always playing louder). Additionally, when the needle is in the groove, I'm getting audio at a fairly audible volume out of the left channel, even when my passive preamp's volume knob (Schiit SYS) is set to zero (my previous setup did not do this).

I have no idea where to go from here and I'm tired of dealing with it. I will note that I had no issue looping on the bias weight, but the loop pulls off the rod every time the tonearm is moved back into the clamp. Having to get out the tweezers and reset the bias weight every time I move the arm is ridiculous.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Manimal and HiFi Guy like this.
  7. Doc Diego

Doc Diego Forum Resident

Search for one of the turntable setup videos on YouTube. Figure out a way to make the anti skate loop smaller or just leave it off. Breath...

Manimal and patient_ot like this.
  8. clercqie

clercqie Forum Resident

Yes, the unipivot is the biggest strength of the TT, but it's also far more wobbly in use than a typical gimballed arm in other TTs. Just make sure you hold the base of the arm when you are working on it and there should be no problems.

This is not normal. Where do you position the weights? If you set them all the way back at first, the cartridge should lift up. Then, gently push the weight closer to the pivot point until you reach equilibrium. Then push it still further to set the tracking weight. If you do this systematically, this should take you 30min max.

I can't help you with the above issues, as I don't have them. Maybe try setting up the arm again (calmly :) ), and see if that resolves things? Ok, I'm with you on the resetting of the bias weight, but it's not the end of the world. Also, that, combined with the character of a unipivot and the non-functional dust cover..: this is not a CONVENIENT turntable. :p It sound pretty great though. :)

9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

@CrabsJarrard, I still think you should return it if you are unhappy. However, and this may be an obvious suggestion, but instead of trying to balance a finicky unipivot arm, you can simply buy a $10 digital scale and set the VTF that way. Should be a lot easier for you.

Manimal likes this.
  10. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

I’m on the fence about this TT. Wondering if the extra cost of the 206 is worth it (heavier table, better anti skating) ?

11. CrabsJarrard

OK. I started over again this morning and attempted the setup again for the 5th time. I got the arm to the point where it isn't diving, but I cannot get VTF set to my liking. I just can't understand why moving the weights up and down the threads on the rear of the arm doesn't seem to affect the arm like every other TT I've ever used. Additionally, when the unit is plugged in, any contact made with the tonearm causes terrible crackling and distortion, even when it is in the clamp. All the tonearm wiring pouring out the rear makes an awful racket as the arm gets moved in any way. Once the stylus hits this record, I'm still getting weird issues. Sometimes, I'm getting real stereo output, but as the record spins the volume goes up and down suddenly. Any moments on the few records I tried with mid-range vocals were causing distortion and everything still sounds horrible.

I swapped the cables coming from the TT into the LCR MKIII to test if the channel issues were from the table or the pre-amp. The problems did not swap sides, leading me to believe that the pre-amp may also be goofed?

It sucks that I never had time to mess with this stuff until the rest of the world went on vacation. I just hope I'll be able to return or exchange this stuff if I can't get any support from the dealer. I used to have a SL-1200 that was stolen and I wish so badly I had just bought another one instead of getting the Audio Technica and now this trashheap. Everything on the Technics deck just worked.

12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Makes me wonder if the tonearm wiring is frayed inside or just very poorly shielded.

Not the first time I've heard that...

13. CrabsJarrard

Update after spending another couple of hours with the TD-203: The volume changes are occurring at intervals that coincide with the record making a full spin. The volume spiking happens at the same spot as the record comes around each time. When I set the table to 45RPM, the frequency of the volume spikes increases with the additional platter speed. This problem is happening on 4 different LPs that are known to be great players prior to my acquisition of this Thorens table.

Removing the secondary counterweight lets me balance the tonearm, though it pulls away from the spindle when free-hanging. Despite this, I can at least get pretty close to the VTF required. I'm hoping Rutherford, or someone can get back to me so I can get this worked out or make an attempt to return the unit.

patient_ot likes this.
  14. CrabsJarrard

Update with recording I made of the volume fluctuations and tonearm noise/crackling.

15. Rattlin' Bones

Rattlin' Bones Grumpy Old Deaf Drummer Thread Starter

LOL I did same thing. Looked for a nice used Sl-1200. Also a Dual or vintage Thorens. After not finding anything in mint or restored condition and in my price range, I decided to go new and that's how I ended up with the Thorens TD203. If I had looked 3 months ago when they were $1000+ I would not have bought the TD203. I got lucky my timing was just right. $699 what a steal!!!

Jimijam likes this.
  16. Rattlin' Bones

Rattlin' Bones Grumpy Old Deaf Drummer Thread Starter

I have no issues like any of this. It sounds like the arm might be severely whacked outta balance or azimuth or VTA or tracking weight or cart not aligned or something. I followed set up instructions thoroughly and also did a lot of research. The anti-skate is a pain, but my dental floss tied to close loop fixed that. With an acrylic mat and a vinyl dust cover now I have no complaints. Mine sounds and performs flawlessly. Other than loop on fishing line for anti-skate being too big, and a stupid dust cover, this is one excellent machine. The motor is on par with tables costing much more, and that uni-pivot arm you're having trouble with is one of the major features of this table compared to others. I'm guessing you got something really wrong when setting it up. This isn't exactly plug-and-play like competitor's products in sub$1grand market. The unipivot arm is scary. Rega was basically unbox plug it in and done. But motor was crap. It was very toy like. The Thorens is a bit more audiophile grade and thus a bit more to setting it up.

I do need to get a digital scale for tracking weight; mine could be way off I just used the plastic gizmo that comes with table. If I dial in weight more exactly I may get even better sound.

Jimijam likes this.
  17. clercqie

clercqie Forum Resident

So were you able to resolve your issues yet?

18. CrabsJarrard

I'm trying to return the table but the seller wants me to work out the issues with the NA Thorens distributor. The retailer said they couldn't hear/find any issue with the table in the videos I sent. Distro sent an email a couple of days ago saying the tonearm wiring is likely goofed and they would call me to arrange something. I'm still waiting to hear back.

patient_ot likes this.
  19. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

Two people (a turntable repair guy and a high end hifi salesman) have told me recently that modern Thorens are way overpriced for what they are. The cartridge holder is not functional, Pro-Ject’s carbon arm sounds better. I’m trying to figure out which sub-€1000 modern TT would be an improvement over my Technics SL 1700 or my Thorens TD 166 MKii.

20. Helom

Helom Forum member

Truth

HiFi Guy likes this.
  21. clercqie

clercqie Forum Resident

What makes the Thorens "way overpriced" and, for example, the Rega Planar 3 or entry-level Pro-Jects not? Also, have you heard and/or used them yourself, or do you just trust the salespeople who have other brands to push?

If your vintage TTs are working perfectly fine, you probably won't find a sub €1000 table that's outperforming them. That's generally well-understood knowledge. It's of little use to compare cost of newly-made tables, with that of (good working) vintage ones, costs and availability of which fluctuate very much with time and region.

patient_ot likes this.
  22. CrabsJarrard

If I'm lucky enough to get this Thorens returned, I'm just gonna bite the bullet and overpay for one of the refurbed SL-1200 units. There is no used market anywhere near me and I'd feel like driving 6+ hours to look at Craiglist offers would be a waste of time and energy. Worst case scenario is something will go wrong on the Technics and I'll have an ocean of easily available info and parts at my disposal. I have my doubts that any table in the $1000 range will sound much better (and none will offer the convenience or durability).

I do wonder how stupid it would be to consider one of the new production SL-1200 units (~$1600).

patient_ot likes this.
  23. Helom

Helom Forum member

It wouldn't be stupid at all if you want a new table in that price range.

Alternatively, you could go with a Pioneer PLX-1000 for the same cost of the Thorens. They've been known to come with loose tonearm bearings, however, fixing that issue would take less time and patience than what you've dealt with on the 203. Even with the loose bearings, it performs very well.

24. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Sounds like a plan. RE: those new 1200s, I've thought about one as well, though it will probably be well into the year before I could get one. If I did, it would be a "Buy For Life" item for me and I'd sell off my two current decks.

25. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

@CrabsJarrard, I hope you can get things sorted. I realize this is an extreme measure, but if I couldn't get someone to work with me on an item like that I would call my CC company or bank and initiate a chargeback.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.