REVIEW: Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Seeker, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Hooznwif

Hooznwif Active Member

I'm new to this site, just signed up. I got hooked on audio equipment during the classic 60's. Started out with a pioneer receiver, dual turntable and KLH speakers. Working in NYC, I had access to scrutinize every manufacturer's "latest" equipment. Talk about addiction! I probably could buy a Rolls Royce today with how much I've spent over the past 50 years. You're always looking for audio nirvana, but sadly never finding satisfaction. Now that I have reached my so called "golden years", I find that disposable income is hard to come by. Over the past few years, I have sold off numerous pieces of equipment to help pay the rent, but alas, the bug still bites hard. I received an email from Amazon advertising the 80th Anniversary Dentons, and of course, I had to immediately investigate them. Unfortunately to my dismay, I became enraptured with the positively glowing acclaim they were receiving and ultimately, would have to audition them, especially after reading that they compared favorably to Harbeth 30's. You see, a previous system of mine consisted of McIntosh/Conrad Johnson/Harbeth, a rig that helped pay off my mortgage. The current system consisted of a Rotel RC1090 running two Hafler amps (9180 & 9130) which Bi-amp Monitor Audio Silver 3s. So I purchased the ridiculously priced Wharfdales and replaced the Silver 3s. I have had them now for about 11 months and it is my perception that they are fully broken in. Are they competitive with the 30s? I really can not say, however, I do know that the current auditory quality of my current system has grown immensely with their introduction, and I am totally satisfied and content in this being my final Harrah. Or is it? Something tells me that the Rotel is in danger, or is the danger really mine?

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Comparing $399/pr of Dentons to the $4000/pr Harbeths is like comparing a Sanyo amp to a Mac IMHO ...

3. rxonmymind

rxonmymind Forum Resident

Remember original list price of Denton's were $1000. So let's up the Sanyo-Mac comparison shall we. Truly what price point do you think a Harbreth speakers cost. I can assure you it's not $4k. If they were honest it would be may $1500.

"The other basic difference between these two speakers is that whereas both speakers use the same 8-inch (200 mm) RADIAL midrange/woofer, the 30 uses the SEAS 1-inch (25 mm) soft-dome Excell tweeter used in the Monitor 40, whereas the 7 uses a SEAS magnesium-alloy dome tweeter of the same dimension.

The Monitor 30 is 8 ohms/85 dB, the Compact 7 is 8 ohms/88db. The Monitor 30 retails in the United States for $3,189"

So comparing $1000 retail to $3000 possible. To use a fire sale price to full list price of another gear is disingenuous.

Jeffreylee and dmckean like this.
  4. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

I actually owned a Sanyo amp years ago that sounded better than an Mac I've owned. It was the Sanyo Plus P55 power amplifier. Jfet input, mosfet voltage amp and mosfet output stage, dual mono, giant overbuilt transformers, liquid cooled, weighed about 30 lbs. I loved that amp but and used it for almost a decade but it eventually became unreliable and I moved it on. I wish I would have kept it and restored it.

timind likes this.
  5. Helom

Helom Forum member

I highly doubt anyone ever paid $1K for a pair of Dentons. The Monitor 30s retail for close to $6k. I have no horse in this race, just stating the obvious.

bruce2 likes this.
  6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I have no idea if anyone bought them at that price, but that was the advertised price in 2012 when they hit the market. I remember seeing them listed for $1000 in the Music Direct print catalog. The price was cut maybe a year later.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  7. rxonmymind

rxonmymind Forum Resident

8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

$6000 for harbeth 30.1 in US. Only £2800 in UK. The Denton 80th can be had for £500 (half original cost ?). The Harbeth would need to be far better to justify their price even if Dentons were £1K.

9. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

As much as I love the Denton speakers, I have heard better - like, to name just a few, Quad ESLs, or custom Altec systems, or even my departed UREI speakers. But for the price, the Dentons don't actively annoy me with any major shortcomings (well except for deep sustained bass and macro dynamics). Their strength is listenability, making my oh-so budget system sound better than it has any right to. Given their price, I wouldn't expect the Denton speakers to beat out the Harbeths. But it would still be an interesting comparison.

bluemooze likes this.
  10. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

I'm thinking of ordering some BJC speaker wire for my Dentons. Should I get 45 degree, 25 degree or straight spades for the terminations? Not enough space for banana plugs.

11. Helom

Helom Forum member

That's just the thing about audio, a component doesn't need to be far better to justify its price and "far better" is completely subjective.

From what I've heard of Harbeth speakers, and the descriptions of the Wharfedales, I have little doubt that these speakers sound nothing alike. They may look similar at first glance, but the Harbeth 30s are a much larger speaker, with different driver materials. They use the thin-walled BBC approach to cabinet construction, the Wharfedales are a typical, well-braced MDF box...apples to oranges.

antnee and Seafinch like this.
  12. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

That, and the Harbeth speakers are a cult product where their owners believe something about them is "special" and can't understand why anyone would pick another speaker over them much less a cheaper one.

beowulf likes this.
  13. Helom

Helom Forum member

I can agree with that to some extent. However, that can be said for a few brands.

bruce2 and dmckean like this.
  14. Hooznwif

Hooznwif Active Member

I want to thank everyone who liked my initial post. And please let me state unequivocally, that I did not intend to stir the pot regarding Harbeth 30s v. Wharfdale Dentons. That's totally on you guys. I merely wished to add that I owned Harbeths at one time as part of a mega buck system, and now listen to Dentons, that I believe improved the sound of a much more humble rig. Lets not forget that the quest for perfect sound reproduction is subjectively limited by everyone's personal taste in sound and music. In addition, I bet that we all have read reviews of equipment that sounded better when mated with this brand or that brand or if SS or valve. Although each of us certainly have specific objective likes and dislikes, the hobby itself appears to be purely subjective. But that is my humble opinion for whatever its worth. And BTW, I was right to be concerned about my Rotel RC1090's place in my system. I was up all night scouring used equipment on the internet and found an AVA Insight+SL and a Forte F44 for sale. I welcome any and all opinions regarding which of these two items would be a better match for my Haflers/Dentons or as an alternative, just keep the Rotel.

Jack Flannery likes this.
  15. wim1983

wim1983 Well-Known Member

My past experience tell me that a clean power amp need to be used to drive the Denton, not special treatment amp like Marantz or perhaps Rotel, I'm currently using Class D Audio SDS-470C power amp, 300 watts per channel at 8ohm, 600 watts per channel at 4 ohm, the sound is clean, engaging, and musical enough for this setup, for DAC/preamp I use a Fostex HP-A3. Only 2 tracks does not pass the test for me for this setup:
    Igor Stravinsky - The Firebird - Finale (from album Tutti!)
    Infected Mushroom - The Shen
    when the Fostex preamp volume button is around 85%+, the woofers not able to vibrate normally

16. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

How do I get a bubble out of the gold label on the back of the Denton's? I read that using a needle to put a hole in it will work but I don't really want to stick a needle into the speakers.

17. action pact

Can we see a pic? I'm not sure what you mean.

I'm not near my speakers now, but isn't the label aluminum?

18. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

It's an air bubble under the aluminum label.

19. Hooznwif

Hooznwif Active Member

"wim1983, post: 18227548, member: 53714"]My past experience tell me that a clean power amp need to be used to drive the Denton, not special treatment amp like Marantz or perhaps Rotel, I'm currently using Class D Audio SDS-470C power amp, 300 watts per channel at 8ohm, 600 watts per channel at 4 ohm, the sound is clean, engaging, and musical enough for this setup, for DAC/preamp I use a Fostex HP-A3. Only 2 tracks does not pass the test for me for this setup:
    Igor Stravinsky - The Firebird - Finale (from album Tutti!)
    Infected Mushroom - The Shen
    when the Fostex preamp volume button is around 85%+, the woofers not able to vibrate normally[/QUOTE]

20. Hooznwif

Hooznwif Active Member

It appears I screwed up. I wanted to respond to wim1983's post but somehow got bounced after inserting his quote. See previous post. I wanted to point out that I am using extremely clean amplification (Hafler) and that the Rotel RC1090 is my Preamp.

21. wim1983

wim1983 Well-Known Member

Let us know how you go in the end, it would be interesting to know.

22. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

Those who have these on stands - what stands are you using? I think I need a pair that are 26" to 28" tall.

23. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

I used the 24" Dayton Audio stands from Parts Express. I didn't want to almost as much on stands as the speakers themselves. I used some 3/4" MDF to increase the width of the base of the stands and to add a bit of height. There are others using these stands as well, I think I found the suggestion here or on AudioKarma.

24. JoeSmo

JoeSmo SL1200 lover....

The Denton’s are the best (and least expensive) set of speakers I’ve ever owned. Preferred them greatly to my Spendors, ProAcs and Dynaudios. I haven’t heard them bettered but do lust after Harbeth Monitor 30.1’s, even though I’ve never heard a pair...lol!
    The Denton’s are ridiculously easy on the ear, very detailed and have fabulous bass and a silky smooth treble. I can listen to them for hours, something I only ever managed with my Spendor s3/5se’s but with the added advantage of real ‘weight’ and projection to the sound.
    The only tweaks I gave them was a slight tightening of all screws and removed the links, replacing them with professionally made links using the same speaker cable feeding them from my amp.
    For me, it was a no-brainer purchase at £300 brand new in England. I don’t know what happened to the Uk dealers but they got cold-feet with the Denton’s very quickly and dumped them ( I think the original retail here was meant to be close to £800 ). Highly recommended if you are looking to tame a bright system to a neutral sound or add warmth to a neutral sounding system.

25. action pact

24" Pangea DS400's from Audio Advisor, filled with kitty litter.

[​IMG]