REVIEW: Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Seeker, Oct 18, 2015.

1. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

I have my bookshelves on 24inch tall 4-poles super-heavy stands. They are standing on a plate of oak to give it an additional 2" of height.

2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I did the exact same thing, using the same Kimber 4TC that is running to my amp. It cleaned the sound up a lot, as I recall.

JoeSmo likes this.
  3. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

Thanks! I ordered the 28" version, my listening seat/position is a bit elevated. Do you fasten them to the stands with Blu-tack or something like that?

4. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

That’s what I’ve got my Dentons on as well. Excellent stands for sure. Filled mine with aquarium sand. The speakers really opened up afterward.

Now I’m gonna get some Morrow SP4 bi-wire for ‘em! :D

action pact likes this.
  5. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Uh huh, that's exactly what I've done.

Yessir, they deserve some decent stands.

EricCuda likes this.
  6. rxonmymind

rxonmymind Forum Resident

Depends on your seating arrangement no? See cause my butt is BIG and the second floor sags a bit.
    There I hope I helped you out.:laugh:

7. wim1983

wim1983 Well-Known Member

I'm curious which model of ProAc and Dynaudio did you refer to? As I always very tempting to try other "higher-end" speakers include Harbeth M30.1, Dynaudio Focus 160, and ProAc Response D2

8. JoeSmo

JoeSmo SL1200 lover....

Wim, I’ve only owned one set of Dynaudios; the 52se’s. Not very high up the Dynaudio pecking order.

The ProAcs easily outperformed the Dynaudios and I got through 3 pairs. ProAc Response 1sc were my favourites, followed by the Tablet Reference Signatures which were diminutive and a small special addition with a plate on the back with the designers signature engraved on the plate. The Response D2’s were my least favourite of the 3.
    All were blown away by the Wharfedale Denton 80’s. And considering the price difference, that’s amazing.

I haven’t tried the Harbeths but I long to. Also, the Denton’s have been in my system the longest.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    bluemooze likes this.
  9. JoeSmo

JoeSmo SL1200 lover....

Ah. Just remembered; ProAc Tablette Reference Eight Signatures, circa 10 years ago......

10. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

11. wim1983

That's really help a lot, I've read quite some not so great impressions for Proac D2, it seem it is not to be easily treated and even for such high price speakers, your opinions stop me from looking higher end speakers hehe

12. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

Good lord.. and what amplification do you have?

13. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Look at his profile. ;)

14. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

Luxman 590ax... wow that's very cool.

15. JoeSmo

JoeSmo SL1200 lover....

I ‘think’ the Harbeth M30.1’s will most likely out-gun my Dentons and should be the match my Luxman deserves but until someone lets me demo, I won’t take the risk. Lol

16. wim1983

There is a gorgeous silver eucalyptus veneer for M30.2, go for it lol

JoeSmo likes this.
  17. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I replaced those brass jumpers with a small piece of regular speaker wire and they immediately sounded better. Better highs.

bluemooze and JoeSmo like this.
  18. JoeSmo

JoeSmo SL1200 lover....

The ProAc D2 was not a good speaker, sadly. It was good-looking though, but that’s irrelevant to sound. I believe it’s been through a revamp since the original, but I haven’t heard the upgraded version. For me ProAcs finest standmount was Response 1Sc, now there was a speaker and they still go for huge cash on auction sites.

19. zenarrow

zenarrow Forum Resident

20. EricCuda

EricCuda Forum Resident

Just realized that I haven't updated the group about my Dentons. I, like, action pact user, love this speaker at this price point particularly. I'm amazed at how they've opened up over the months and right when I think they may be showing a problem, it's actually the source material and the speaker itself showing me the issue (i.e. sibilance or some RSD vinyl or inner groove distortion on some used vinyl) that wasn't apparent on my older Polks. I have to say that these speakers are the real deal...and when I compared them A/B to speakers I had available in the house...Optimus Pro LX5 (Linaeum tweeter), ELAC B6 and my old Polk R30's...they definitely shined the most.

They're voicing is very unique and they are not rolled off to me, at all....break in probably helped that many months ago. Anyway...just wanted to update the group.

Also....I had a ringing that drove me crazy from time to time about 5 months ago...turned out to be my Wharefedale stands. I ran a YouTube speaker test tone posting, and had a nasty buzz at 1k or 2k, I forget.....ran over to the speaker and pressed down on it....while on the stand...and it stopped. My Wharfedale screws had worked themselves loose...so I tighented them...and all was good. Then, last week....while evaluating some record store day vinyl...slight buzz again. A screw was loose again. I think I need to loctite or put some blu tac in there....which I also use to hold the speaker on the stand. Will look into kitty litter/sand to see if that is something I can do, as well with these stands. I also read earlier in this post that a forum member raised his stands with a 2 inch oak plate at the bottom.....I should probably look to do, as well, to have my ear at tweeter level.

I was curious about how many members here bi-wire the speaker. I am bi-wiring from my YAMAHA 701, with 2 dedicated runs from A (highs) and B (lows). I thought I heard a difference when I did it, but am so used to the sound now, I can't remember what the observed gains were.

21. wim1983

I've tried Yamaha A-S801 for a period of time, I really dun like the shrill sound quality of this model, the treble is too thin for my taste, I would suggest power amp with very little warm sound to pair with Denton, as I dun think Denton is warm itself, it can voice pretty detailed if pair with some electronic like TEAC AX-501, regarding bi-wiring I dun think there is much difference, between anybody can suggest a best budget tube preamp to use with a power amp?

EricCuda likes this.
  22. maglorine

maglorine Forum Resident

I’m running KEF Q100’s right now but I’m intrigued by these. Can anyone who’s heard both summarize the differences and pros/cons? My system is in my profile.

ChrisR2060 likes this.
  23. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

They are two radically different speakers. I have had the q100s for 3 weeks, the ls50s for 4 months, and the dentons for 1.5 year.
    I jave found the q100s very detailed, very revealing, analytical, dry, and on the bright side of neutral. Soundstage was well defined, imaging very precise. I like that kind of sound, but what made me move to the ls50s was the lack of bass and upper bass, and they required a sub crossed over way too high to be acceptable, like 120hz or above. Also, they were revealing without texture, delicacy, and transparency. They sounded too thin, too dry.
    In contrast, the dentons are much fuller, on the warm side of neutral, with a little emphasis in the upper-bass / lower midrange. Crossing over to a sub at 50-60hz is totally acceptable. They are very soft sounding, gentle on the ears. Never harsh, never bright. Now when it comes to transparency, detail, and pinpoint, precise imaging, i feel the dentons are not capable of that. At least not with my marantz integrated. I prefer my elac ub5 for critical listening and getting into a recording.
    I enjoy the dentons for how easy they are on the eardrums. A pleasure to listen too with all genres of music.

24. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I've had the Denton for two days and this reflects my initial impression of it (versus the LS50, which I've owned for two years). The LS50 is superb with well recorded, balanced material and especially film (the film industry has better audio standards than the music industry it would seem). However, if the material is tilted up towards the treble with little bass the LS50's >10 kHz rising gain and sharply declining low bass <50 Hz can make such material fatiguing to listen to, particularly over long listening sessions. This was my reasoning for deciding to seek out a smoother sounding speaker.

If all one listens to is jazz, classical, and classic rock then that's fine, but if one's collection contains a substantial amount of 1980s material in particular then the gradually rising nature of the LS50 can be problematic. By contrast, the Denton seems to start rolling off the treble at more or less the same point that the LS50 boosts it, it also has a stronger bass response (see graphs below from Stereophile and Hi-Fi World). This means that a recording that is tilted towards brightness is somewhat "reformulated" by the Denton, to fit its warmer character.

I watched the Chelsea/Huddersfield game with the Denton providing the sound last night and did think the Sky commentator's voice sounded softer than I'm used to with the LS50. It will be interesting to see how the Denton fares with BBC content, the sound signature of which I'm very used to.

The LS50 definitely wins when it comes to transparency, detail, and imaging. The Denton has a slightly fuzzy or congealed sound. I suppose one could call it more "analogue" sounding than the LS50, which is much more revealing. With the Denton, you can tell you're listening to a box speaker, whereas the LS50 gives you a greater impression of the recording itself (at a potential cost if the production isn't up to scratch). The Denton's soundstage is narrower than the LS50's, but it does seem to have greater depth.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  25. maglorine

maglorine Forum Resident

These match my impressions over the 3 months I’ve had them. A bit unforgiving with certain material to the point where even if I like the song I don’t want to hear it. Presentation of space on other material is simply great and highly entertaining. So I’m a bit torn about staying with them longer term. LS50 was also in mind as an eventual upgrade though I wonder if my associated equipment would be up to its revealing nature.

timind and ChrisR2060 like this.