Revolution 9: Then and Now

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by If I Can Dream_23, Jul 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Interesting thread. Must be running low on Beatles stuff.

2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

It still scares me. :eek:

HarvG, Hall Cat and daveidmarx like this.
  3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I have this on a boot Cd that came in a book-like encasement. It was a double disc set...one had Take 20 and the other, among a couple of other things, about 20 takes of Badfinger's Come And Get It.

LSP2003 likes this.
  4. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

There is nothing good about the track... I think it was just the Beatles messing around on sounds in the studio.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    Jennifer Tomkins likes this.
  5. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

I did have a higher appreciation level of the songs after I heard that early take. I do remember being a little weirded out when my friends and I first heard Rev. 9 late at night when we were kids. It is not a track I play on its own, but I do not skip it when playing the whole album.

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  6. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

It was just sitting in the recycling bin and couldn't be ignored.

We are probably due for another "Is Sgt. Pepper overrated?" thread soon.

drasil and ssmith3046 like this.
  7. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Experimental nonsense, never liked it.

8. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, so far, the poll seems to bear out what I stated - people either "hear" it's critical-ness to the White Album, or they simply despise it as noise. Very few votes for the other two categories (thus far).

9. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Blew/blows. I doesn't bother me, I just skip it when I listen to the album.

10. ssmith3046

The white album has been one of my favorites since 68 but that "song" is a waste of record groove.

11. If I Can Dream_23

That's interesting because it's hard for me to imagine the double having the same quirky character without it. If I were to take it away, I wouldn't feel it was the "White Album" anymore. Much in the same way that I could never remove While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Helter Skelter or Mother Nature's Son or, well, most any of them. It would be like a puzzle with one missing piece.

Yet I know we certainly all have some tracks that we simply enjoy more than others.

12. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

I have a CD burned and it's the only song on it. I've listen to it on repeat more than once. More than 10 times, actually. There's my answer.

Dodoz, alamo54us, gramfan and 2 others like this.
  13. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I was bitter against it for many years because I felt it took the space of Hey Jude and the single version of Revolution.
    Looking at it today, I wish they filled the entire side 4 with experimental tracks like Revolution 9. As is, even though now I can appreciate it, it's still an awkward mix of two different styles that don't sound comfortable together.

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  14. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I used to pick up the needle after Cry Baby Cry and that was the end of the album for me. I was familiar with the track but didn't think it was worth the extra 10 minutes to play the last two tracks of the album. Now, I just let the album play all the way through and I've come to appreciate all the work that went into Revolution 9. It's nowhere my favorite track, and I still think it's a partially-failed experiment, but it is ambitious, original and avant-garde.

15. ssmith3046

I agree. It's part of the fabric of the album. But I have skipped it for the most part.

If I Can Dream_23 and sadchel like this.
  16. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Meh then, meh now. If it wasn't by The Beatles no one would give it a second thought, IMHO. There's better avant garde sound collage musique concrete before and after.

--Geoff

gja586 likes this.
  17. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I think we all know/suspect COL is not a masterpiece. We all simply want to hear it once out of curiosity and the satisfaction in finally hearing it before we die.

18. If I Can Dream_23

I think you hit on a good point. The album as a whole seems full of awkward shifts and moods. On one hand, they seem to make the album dis-jointed from a track list standpoint. On the other hand, you actually play it and it somehow "works". Then you play it again, and again, and again. Before you know it, you realize you still don't get the album yet you've played it 20 times! :)

As mentioned, perhaps only 1968 could have given us an album like this.

Pizza, LSP2003 and ssmith3046 like this.
  19. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

I hated it as a kid and just fast-forwarded the cassette to the end before Revolution 9 came on. These days I find it interesting, but mostly for the funny bits (Eldorado! kills me every time).

Does Revolution 9 actually succeed at its supposed goal? Is it really "the sound of revolution" as John later claimed (in the Playboy interviews maybe?)? I think not, but it's great that it's still making people get into heated discussions about it decades later.

20. If I Can Dream_23

Yes. I love the "Eldorado" bit too.

I personally think it succeeds. It is bizarre, puzzling and intentionally placed and crafted, on an album that is bizarre, puzzling and intentionally placed and crafted. I'm not sure myself if it is the "sound of revolution" per se but it sure is...interesting. As you said, if it didn't succeed, then it sure draws a lot of study, attention and discussion (probably prompted by fools like me). :uhhuh:

21. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Said it before (here) and I'll say it again, if there was some way to somewhat seamlessly edit the final minute-or-so of the ending onto the first four minutes-or-so of the beginning, it would be a very good, interesting experimental track. :agree:

22. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

It shows how short John fell of who he was trying to be.

23. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I like the mama dada part...

ive always enjoyed it, especially having goodnight follow it. if I was going to skip anything it would be ob la di, or wild honey pie (sorry paul)

Dodoz likes this.
  24. DirkMcQ

DirkMcQ Forum Resident

I had so much respect for Lennon I figured I must be missing something. I didn't get it, it seemed like a waste of time and vinyl.
    Nope, I wasn't missing anything. All these years later I still have the world of respect for Lennon but Revolution #9 is a pretentious, self indulgent test of my patience.

25. If I Can Dream_23

Only somewhat related but I got to researching the events of 1968 and was reminded why the months of Sept-Dec of that year are arguably the greatest in the history of popular music. I know many might cite the early months of 1964 or some other time frame, but, for me, late 1968 is just...wow!

Just look at some of this stuff...

SEPT
    Led Zeppelin plays for the first time billed initially as the "New Yardbirds".
    The Who take to work on the eventual epic, "Tommy".
    On the singles chart, the likes of "Hey Jude" dominate racks and airwaves, eventually becoming the most successful record of the decade.

OCT
    Jimi Hendrix releases the stirring "Electric Ladyland", complete with its controversial cover.

NOV
    The Beatles release a double album named aptly "The Beatles" with, gulp, nothing on the cover! It doesn't matter. It ships a quarter million units before even coming out of the shipping boxes. In time this famous, and infamous, album will earn the nickname "The White Album" and go on to earn honors as arguably the greatest double album ever made.

DEC
    The Rolling Stones release "Beggar's Banquet". No shabby album in its own right.
    Elvis Presley's NBC TV Special airs and would come to be known as his "Comeback Special". It is a rejuvenating milestone in the King's career, launches a new career for him, and will go down as one of the most landmark events in the history of popular music.

And I didn't even mention some of the other notable albums and events during this 3-4 month window!

This kinda stuff is always subjective, but based on the above, no 3-4 month period in the history of pop music was as fruitful and volatile as this window in late 1968. Just my humble opinion of course.

Now back to Revolution 9... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.