Revolver UK 2nd press question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by trip1, Sep 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trip1

trip1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Beatles Revolver LP UK 2nd press. Can anyone tell me about the sonics of this press in mono? Is it close in sound to the original 1st press? I'm thinking of buying this LP because i've never heard it in mono. Is the mono has good as people claim it to be?

2. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

The mono mix is great. I prefer it to the stereo, but only slightly. A 2nd pressing of "Revolver" will sound just fine. In fact, the 2nd mono pressing of the B-side actually began on the day of the very first pressing run of "Revolver". That extremely limited first run of the mono B-side contained the alternate take (take #11) of "Tomorrow Never Knows". Later that day, take #8 was substituted by order of George Martin. Do not hesitate to try a 2nd pressing. Each side will still be sourced from tube-cut lacquers. :)

3. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

What's the differences between take 11 and take 8?

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The mix in question is about 3 seconds longer, and has a few differences in the fading and different placement of the background effects. John's voice has a fuller sound.

5. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Take 11 has:

*Lennon's vocals more forward in the mix
    *different tape loops which fade down completely
    *a longer fade-out
    *a shorter guitar solo
    *a different tamborine

This alternate take is only on the UK mono "Revolver" sourcing the #1 lacquer for Side-b.

It's worth noting that later UK Parlophone pressings of the Beatles' catalog up to the early 1980s also sound quite good. Though not quite the equal of first and other early pressings, the later pressings are perfectly enjoyable. The differences are not proportional to the prices. Seek NM pressings that still sourced earlier tube-cut lacquers, such as the early 1970s "one EMI box" copies. Any forum member seeking quality Beatles pressings should search the archive for the words "Parlophone" and "lacquer". The odds of any original pressing in less than NM condition playing quietly, even after properly cleaned, are pretty slim...especially stereo copies. Even then, groove damage not visible to the naked eye isn't uncommon due to the styli and heavy tonearms of the time. Most of the well-preserved original Parlophone pressings have already been snatched up. When the occasional premium copy is offered for sale, expect to pay well over $100 for them...and much more for earlier titles and some of the later titles. I acquired all my original Parlophone pressings about ten years ago when squeaky clean, lightly played copies were not difficult to find for around $40 or $50. I bring this up because I see so many forum members scrambling to get the originals when later pressings are still quite nice. The prices in the market are geared for serious collectors...later pressings will more than serve the needs of "listeners". I would strongly advise anyone seeking vintage Parlophone pressings to familiarize themselves fully with the label variations that distinguish first pressings of each title...all covered several times on this forum. A search of "Gramophone" and "label" oughta bring up what you'll need.

6. Michael

You forgot to mention the extra 3 seconds...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

7. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

That's the "longer fade-out".:p

8. Michael

No. :laugh: you have to say it in seconds...:laugh:
    Why waste money on vinyl when it's avaiable on a boot CD?

9. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Because it's legal! :p

10. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Well, you would get the benefit of the stunning sound quality of a Parlophone LP....

... but for those who (like me) live a life of more modest means, you can find it on the Vigotone "Turn Me On, Dead Man" CD set. :)

-Kevin

11. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

It's too damn expensive, but the kid in me wanted it...couldn't resist! That's the only one I really shelled out for, though. Never found a super-clean copy until I saw this one a few years back. Had to nag the owner for several years until I guess he finally decided it was worth letting it go to shut me up! Hey Joel, glad you're happy with your stereo "Beatles For Sale"...it's a nice one. Too bad our posts are right next to each other! Just tryin' to keep some of these folks from having to declare bankruptcy! :)

12. Michael

Yea, Same stunning sound sourced from a stunning LP at a stunningly lower price...:)

13. Michael

PALEEZEE...

14. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Different courses for different horses, Michael! :) You do realize the legality claim was a joke...that's what the smiley with the tongue was supposed to convey. ;)

15. bob g.

bob g. Senior Member

dear trip1
    3 points/opinions:

the first pressing with alternate "tomorrow never..." is a fluke, it is the incorrect/worse/but interesting mix. but since you're not asking about it anyway .....

I think Revolver is the one Beatles album where mono and stereo are equally important/interesting/valid. but in the meantime the Uk is it. whereas the US is ....

exceptional for finally presenting great stereo on a Capitol Beatles LP (Here There and Eveywhere is in my mind a real 360 degree sound inside Paul's head) and for being shorter in length than the UK lp at John's expense but not adding extraneous singles tracks either.

UK 2nd mono is equal in sonics to 1st, and superior in mix (to answer your actual question IMO)

16. Michael

Of course I did...Just havin some fun. Is that allowed?:laugh: :eek:

17. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Nobody said it wasn't. :confused:

I wasn't sure what the tone was here.

18. Michael

No tone...lest not make something out of nothing...I'm moving on.
    :)

19. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

OK, Michael. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.