Revolver vs. Sgt. Pepper

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hole Got Fixed, May 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

Revolver by a long shot. It is the last album where the Fabs' enthusiasm level is uniformly high. From Sgt Pepper onward, they sound weary in varying degrees and I find that unattractive.

2. darbelob

darbelob Senior Member

Both good albums, but Pepper was a ground breaker for the Beatles and all of us who were saying "our" music was worthy of serious consideration. These days, both albums can be seen as part of the Beatles progression from pop to sophistication, but in those days, it was a giant step for them and us!

3. Om

Om Make Your Own Kind Of Music

I would definitely say Sgt. Pepper flows better it being a concept album. I however feel Revolver contains more songs that can stand on their own as being some of their "best" work. Sort of revolving hits. Of coarse best meaning my favorite. I'll say in my opinion Sgt. Pepper is a better overall album, Revolver contains better songs. Can't stress this enought better being subjective to my own liking. :)

4. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

Beatles fan since 1980... I never understood the hype around Sgt. Pepper. I always have liked Revolver and Rubber Soul more. I would put also Abbey Road and Help before SGt. Pepper. But, well, I love all the albums.

5. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

I tend to agree.

Although he always brought in great songs going forward, and these songs galvanized "the band" into great performances, he let go of the leadership rope after Revolver.

Om and quakerparrot67 like this.
  6. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

Revolver may be my favorite album of all time.
    Sgt. Pepper likely not in my top 100.

7. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

These are my two all-time favorite albums.
    REVOLVER is my top choice!

8. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I have to go with Sgt. Pepper, if only for A Day in the Life.

B_big! likes this.
  9. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

I have nothing of worth to add to this discussion; however, this description of Revolver delighted me, mixed metaphor included. It's quite beautiful.

10. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

This isn't even a question!

Revolver > Sgt Pepper

Revolver > any other album

11. The Seeker

The Seeker Forum Resident

I voted for "Revolver". I wish "Rain" and "Paperback Writer" had been on the album in place of "Yellow Submarine" and "Got To Get You Into My Life".

quakerparrot67 likes this.
  12. SecondHandNews

SecondHandNews Forum Resident

Revolver. Also my favorite album by the Beatles.

13. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Revolver is a good record in its own rite. However, it is completely different from the Pepper album. It's an apples and oranges comparison. I prefer Pepper over Revolver but they are very close in my opinion.

14. Almost. John made a heroic last stand on the White Album - which had a ton of great Lennon tracks.

15. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

When I want to hear the album yet really concentrate on the tracks....it's Revolver hands down. When I want to listen to an album's worth of great sound that fits together so well, Pepper does the trick. Revolver sort of demands you sit up and listen while Pepper melts into the backdrop as perfectly as any album can. I've always like Revolver just a little better.

B_big! likes this.
  16. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I think it's fair to say that Here, There and Everywhere and Good Day Sunshine are syrupy. H, T and E is my least favorite track, but Good Day Sunshine is a great, different feel tune from that era.
    I'd consider When I'm Sixty-four to be hokey, but She's Leaving Home, Getting Better, Fixing a Hole, and Lovely Rita to be top-notch. I think Revolver is John's best and Pepper is Paul's best. Revolver (UK) wins out by strength of the entirety.

17. John54

John54 Senior Member

Pepper. I don't even own Revolver, never have, although I know most of the songs (I'd have to listen to a couple to refresh my memory); there's a handful I can do without. There's not much on Pepper I'd say that about.

My favourites are Eleanor Rigby and I'm Only Sleeping versus With a Little Help From My Friends and Getting Better, which is pretty much a toss-up.

18. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Well-Known Member

In 1976, my vote would have been Sgt.Pepper, as I would have been comparing the US Capitol albums on vinyl. When the British version of Revolver came my way via import vinyl in the late 70s, I then realized what Revolver "really" was with the three missing Lennon tracks restored. Time has been kind to Revolver, and the songs seem to hold up better. Pepper seems more dated and a bit too much Paul.

Mark E. Moon likes this.
  19. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Revolver

20. vinylphile

vinylphile Forum Resident

Pepper for me. It is trendy to bash Pepper these days and Revolver has become the sweetheart over the past few decades. But to me, Revolver remains merely a great album while Pepper is perhaps the most important and influential rock album of all time.

21. Raider4life

Raider4life Forum Resident

Abbey Road is better than both of them

streetlegal likes this.
  22. helter

helter Forum Resident

I can't vote both are too great !
    However for those that think Revolver is the bomb ....I disagree

Weak tracks

Love you too
    I want to tell you

The greatest album shouldn't have 2 weak tracks IMO