Rhino - Back To The 80's Vinyl - July 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ron Mexico, May 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Agree with those that say this list is uninspired. I have the Los Lobos LP on 80s vinyl, and it's great, but not very hard to find. There are many albums from the 80s that are a lot harder to find than anything on this list that would be much more deserving of a quality reissue. Rhino, please try harder.

Satrus, ODShowtime, hi_watt and 5 others like this.
  2. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I suspect the clearances aren’t as easy to resolve as we would like or think for many recordings.

3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Maybe not, but Rhino is a division of Warner and they own the rights to a ton of recordings. Not to mention the relationships they have with securing other recordings. It's a weak effort IMHO.

4. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Incorrect. The contracts are usually not that simple. Rhino isn’t going to have unencumbered rights to release what they want, when they want, in whatever format they choose.

It may be a weak effort. Or it may not.

5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I think you are taking what I said to the extreme. My point is there are other things they could release besides a bunch of relatively easy to find albums. Rhino has done way better before so I think the potential is there. It's a matter of opinion, one which you clearly disagree with. No one is suggesting they can do whatever they want when they want.

c-eling likes this.
  6. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I don't think we're the target market OT, neat for something like my nephew.

hi_watt and patient_ot like this.
  7. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I don’t disagree that it’s a weak batch. I disagree with that notion that Rhino just needs to “try harder”.

Do you think they looked at that release list and said “this is a home run list of releases”? Of course they know it’s not.

8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Agreed. I thought the Rocktober, Summer of Love, and other recent batches from Rhino were a lot more interesting.

ODShowtime, fortherecord and c-eling like this.
  9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

It might be a home run in sales if they are looking to appeal to generic LCD record buyers.

10. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

My yellow B-52s had some weird skips and drop outs. I did listen on my Cliffwood with headphones. Will try again on the main system with my Scout II.

GentleSenator likes this.
  11. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I might pick up wild planet. I have first press copies of the B-52's s/t...talk about a hot stamper!!!

12. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Did Easy Action and Killer ever get repressed by Rhino after the first tuns were messed up?

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

they get the most milking of the fan award...Rhino was a great label that screwed their fans quite often ...I own most of their stuff... always first on line to bend over and buy it again, and again, and again...opportunist to the extreme...

masterbucket likes this.
  14. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Electric Sydney likes this.
  15. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

As was the Rod Stewart hits comp. Nothing eighties about it.

16. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

So far the colored Yes lp sounds good. But I bet it doesn’t touch the original, which I wish I still had.

17. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

It is. Cut from the original 30 i.p.s. half-inch analog master.

Tullman and riverrat like this.
  18. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

The only picture I've been able to find looks like the disc is blue, yellow & red. I was thinking the tri-colors would match the original album cover which is blue, yellow and pink. What does your disc look like?

19. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Got the Zipper Catches Skin by Alice Cooper reissue today. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it sounds excellent. Glad I got it. By the way, cut by Chris Bellman.

wino14 likes this.
  20. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

Tough to beat sound quality of an RL original, which are still easy to find in great condition.

c-eling and jimhb like this.
  21. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

They are coming out this Tuesday, 7/17/2018.

22. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

In defense of Rhino, most of the better 80s titles they own have already been reissued in recent years: New Order, Prince, Tom Petty, The Cars, The Cure, The Smiths, and Depeche Mode among others.
    Although "Staring At The Sea" from The Cure would've been a solid pick, as I don't think that was part of the last reissue campaign. (Or NO's "Substance" for that matter...)

DHamilton and Ben Adams like this.
  23. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Staring At The Sea was reissued by Universal about 3-4 years ago.

Substance - that one is so conspicuous in its absence as a reissue that I wonder if there’s some kind of nonsense behind the scenes holding it up, like maybe New Order being dozy twits considering the more recent hits comps to have replaced it.

patient_ot, jimhb and MondoFanM like this.
  24. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

We need a 4 LP Substance. I have no doubt it will be an RSD release someday

patient_ot and jimhb like this.
  25. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Is the B-52's Wild Planet worth getting? I was thinking this or the Mofi. But not sure what to get.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.