Rhino - Back To The 80's Vinyl - July 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ron Mexico, May 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Excellent. Ian Sefchick did most of the others, which were pretty good as well.

2. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I enjoy Chris Bellman's work

3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

You should hear him whistle Dixie

tinnox likes this.
  4. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

On the repress of Killer has IS and not CB my fault

5. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Yes it makes me buy albums. I just wish they would tell us!

tinnox likes this.
  6. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

On my Back To The 80s Alice Cooper reissues colored vinyl have CB (Chris Bellman) in deadwax I just doubled checked.
    Zipper Catches Skin
    Flush The Fashion
    DaDa

The new reissues/repress color vinyl of Killer and Easy Action have IS in deadwax

Cloudburst likes this.
  7. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

500Homeruns and jimhb like this.
  8. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Anyone have any comments on the new DaDa pressing? I have one of the first '83 runs and... the pressing definitely had room for improvement. It'd do my heart good to know that the album got the mastering/pressing attention that it's always deserved...

tinnox likes this.
  9. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

The DaDa reissue sounds great, dead quite flat and sounds full warm and full of life IMO if that’s the right way to put it, have nothing to compare to since I had the cassette back in the day and is long gone but if you’re looking to getting it I recommend picking up the reissue on orange swirl vinyl that is what I’m listening to it looks and sounds great IMO.

Dan likes this.
  10. Dan

Dan Senior Member

I had DaDa on at low volume but I liked it. IMHO, these are good reissues and are priced fairly. I'll continue to support them!

marc with a c, Eigenvector and tinnox like this.
  11. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Just finished playing Ice Cream Castles and am halfway through Gang of Four...both sound fantastic so far.

jimhb likes this.
  12. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Ok, I got both of the Madonna titles. For those interested to know....

Like A Virgin - standard 150g pressing on white vinyl. This uses the same mastering as the 180g releases mastered by Chris Parmenidis (CHRIS P@UNITY in deadwax) and sounds great. The usual Sire labels are used and not the special labels from the 1984 white vinyl promo release.

Who's That Girl Soundtrack - standard 150g pressing on black vinyl. This release has "Mastered By Capitol" stamped in the deadwax. My original 1987 LP was mastered by Future Disk. This release has been remastered and sounds better than even the CD, imo. There's more beef with improved bass and better balance. The original releases were filled with the 80's bright sound but this sounds much more even.

Christopher B, hi_watt, jimhb and 2 others like this.
  13. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

In case this concerns anyone else: the information on the back of the Punk Nuggets compilation indicates that it is the single version of “Lexicon Devil” by the Germs. It is, in fact, the standard version on (GI). Glad I didn’t waste my money.

patient_ot likes this.
  14. JackDVD78

JackDVD78 Forum Resident

In bold

That has me worried... is it a LOUDER remaster? I’m not interested if they killed the dymanic range.

15. I'd love to take a shot at the B52 yellow ST album. IIRC, Mofi was unable to locate masters for this and released it on the silver series. I went through 2 mofi copies and gave up on the non-fill type noises on both copies. I have never had that kind of issue with any mofi, including the silver series. Both copies were in the numbered 600 range. It did sound really good though. So the CB mastering on this one should be great too, even if not AAA.

GentleSenator likes this.
  16. ascot

ascot Senior Member

No, it's not louder. I just like that it's EQ'd better than the overbright sound that was used at the time.

JackDVD78 likes this.
  17. Mssisem

Mssisem Forum Resident

Would be in for any of these with cb In the deadwax

18. SteveCooks

SteveCooks Senior Member

19. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Heavily dislike that album but.... this looks very nice! :righton:

Somebody should do "Abacab" like that!:righton:

tinnox likes this.
  20. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I have No Thanks (CD box by Rhino) and I am going to see if this double vinyl is available at my local record store.

21. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Did anyone get the Punk compliation? If so, do we know who mastered it and how it sounds?

500Homeruns likes this.
  22. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Bought a few more today; both B-52's, Alice Cooper-Zipper, Los Lobos, and yes, Rod Stewart on pink vinyl!

23. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Any 'CB' in the deadwax outside of Los Lobos - I'm interested in the Rod Stewart.

24. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

It has "MASTERED BY CAPITAL" in the deadwax and "Lacquers cut by Ian Sefchick at Capital Mastering" on the back cover.

jimhb likes this.
  25. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Saw this in a store today. How does it sound? Compared to an original copy? This looks damned tempting even though I never cared much for the album. Victim of colours!:biglaugh:

I checked and it didn't have "CB" in the deadwax. Don't ask why I even expected to find these initials there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.