Rhino Handmade Alert - Ray Charles In Concert

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RDK, Aug 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RDK

RDK Active Member Thread Starter

http://www.rhinohandmade.com/browse/ProductLink.lasso?Number=7826

I've got mixed feelings about this one. I've got several of the original LPs and there appears not be any new or unreleased material added to the set. The music's great, but I'm frankly shocked that a Ray Charles release would be limited to the Handmade label. It's also rather pricy at $40.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Sounds like they went to the trouble of licensing stuff from Atlantic as well as the usual suspect. :)

A nice compilation.

3. reechie

reechie Senior Member

But isn't Atlantic part of the Rhino umbrella now? Or more accurately, aren't Rhino and Atlantic a part of WEA? They already own the Atlantic tapes, don't they?

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Heh, yeah, you're right I forgot!

5. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

quote-Ray Charles In Concert is available in an individually numbered limited edition of 5,000 copies. Because this title is expected to be released internationally as an unlimited edition, this Rhino Handmade edition is available only in the U.S. and Canada.

BTW thanks for the heads up!

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Heh, since when was Rhino Handmade inexpensive?

Great lineup. Child's Garden Of Grass (Elektra) is also there. Comedy cult fave.

7. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Sad to admit that I have, blush, none of them. I know, mortal sin. So, I sent for the Rhino package. I like their stuff in the Handmade way.

8. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Has anyone heard the Rascals set and really like it?

9. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

On the Ray Charles set, why don't they just release the original cd's and NOT chop it up, into a compilation ?

It's not an attractive purchase this way. He deserves the release, like this, MORE, perhaps, than that of other subjects of the Rhino releases.

It's kind of dumb.

10. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

right on. if there is one date that demands audiophile treatment, it's his 1964 performance at shrine auditorium.

this bad boy was recorded by the legendary wally heider. the sound and performance are incredible.

steve, this currently unavailable LP (Ray Charles Live In Concert 1964 ABC) would make a killer SACD.

11. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

While I will concede that there has been some work refurbishing his earlier catalog, the pre-Atlantic material, and some of the live performances, are languishing in public domain/grey area-city.

Does ANYONE know the state of ownership of his recordings ? What, exactly, does Ray own and have control over ?

12. RDK

RDK Active Member Thread Starter

I hate to say it, but this set is even more disappointing than I first thought. When I first read the Rhino press release, I thought that the set contained all five albums in their entirety. But now that I look at the track listing more closely I realize that it's a compilation (yeah, I know - I'm slow that way). Still: :(

Oh well, just this morning I found a used copy of Berlin:1962, which contains the full 60+ minute show in its entirety. :)

13. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

Tell me something, in general, when they do compilations, like these, do they remaster the WHOLE album, anyway, or do they sit down and ONLY work on selected tracks ?

I'm aware, some of these releases are, already, available, on a catch-as-catch can basis as pricey imports, in questionable transfer condition, and in the form of the whole albums.

I just don't get it, I guess !

14. jdw

jdw Senior Member

According to what I've read (Ray's autobiography and the biography by Michael Lydon published about 5 years ago), Ray owns all his recordings from after he left Atlantic (late '59) to present day. There would be a few exceptions like the (possibly) the mid-seventies Porgy and Bess album and maybe some film soundtrack work...

Ray leased his back catalog to Rhino about 5 years ago, although I don't think they've reissued anything outside of his '60s recordings so far. The exception is the Rhino 5 disc box set, which covers Ray's first recordings up to the late '90s...

15. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

Thanks for the info !

Well, I guess he knows what he's doing, and we are being "done" by him !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.