Rhino Records Summer of Love issues, July 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob J, May 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

Help me understand what you are suggesting, please. First, we're talking Dusty in Memphis, right? When you write, "... they're not eager to bring that in at a decent price ...", who is the "they," please? Rhino? Individual Discog sellers or other retailers?

I do see that there is a Mercury label release in January 2017.
    Buy Dusty Springfield - Dusty In Memphis (Vinyl) at Discogs Marketplace

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Interestingly, neither Soundstage D or Music D seem to have the Rhino Dusty for sale as yet.

3. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

They may not get Dusty at all. These are supposed to be for brick & mortar stores only. Any place that has them online also has a physical store, like Barnes and Noble and Bullmoose, etc. In June, I saw some of these on Amazon UK, but I dont know which ones and if it ever was a go.

4. chacha

Wow, I had no idea. Seems odd since it's not an RSD type thing but maybe it is in summer!

5. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I'm sure he meant Universal, the rights holder in Europe. Dusty in Memphis with the UK cover was just officially released in Europe earlier this year.

The reality is - many reissues are not one global release, but rather seperate USA and EU versions that are licenced differently for each region.

That's why the sellers list "IMPORT" on the EU/UK ones they bring in, or the reverse in the EU, and they're more expensive. Some titles get only released in one region.
    Others get a simultaneous release, sometimes one region gets the title later. It's a remnant from
    before people googled stuff globally and could easily see every country with a few clicks.

As someone else mentioned, Rhino's "Summer of Love" project was created by Warner Brothers for B&M stores,
    to promote instore sales. They did a similar program early in 2017, called "Start your Ear off right".

Rhino’s “Start Your Ear Off Right” Returns In 2017 With Limited Edition Releases | Rhino Media

Dusty Springfield - Dusty In Memphis

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    chacha and MisterBritt like this.
  6. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

They did Start Your Ear Off Right in January 2016. Then, October 2016 was "Rocktober". January 2017 saw Start Your Ear Off Right again. Same deal.. special releases... some colored vinyl.. brick and mortar only.

DeRosa likes this.
  7. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

[​IMG]
    a rare one...

GerryO likes this.
  8. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

Warner Brothers?
    No folks. Rhino created the Summer Of Love campaign as well as October and SYEOR.

9. chacha

Doesn't Warner own Rhino - or something along those lines?

10. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

MisterBritt and chacha like this.
  11. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

I just ordered the Aretha Arrives and Young Rascals Groovin', seeing as how you think the Aretha was cut by Kevin Gray. Some of the others, Arlo Guthrie, Vanilla Fudge and Van Morrison, I already have great copies of. I'll come back, hopefully as early as end of next week ,with my report on Aretha Arrives and Young Rascals Groovin'. Meanwhile if anyone else cares to review them, let's see what you think!

Christopher B and chacha like this.
  12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Monkees.
    Cover could have been better.

13. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

Does someone know if the EU version of Aretha arrives is also with KG in the deadwax ?

14. Alofter

Alofter Nowhere Man

The Young Rascals sounds really good on my system. I like it a lot.
    The Association was cleaned last night and will be played today. I have a mint mono pressing already, so it will be interesting to hear this new pressing. Wanted to start with fresh ears.
    The Peter Paul Mary is a really nice package and the coolest looking vinyl out of the campaign imo. It sounds good but some tracks sound better than others, source issues I suppose.
    The Monkees comp is neat and the perfect introduction to my daughter. It's her official first Monkees album. I must be the odd one because I think the covers for The Monkees and The Dead are fun and eye catching, I'm good with them. She ended up with The Dead too.
    I haven't seen the Van Morrison yet in the wild, when I find one I will probably nab it along with the Dusty.

MisterBritt and Christopher B like this.
  15. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Let's be clear.. the US copy of Aretha Arrives is most definitely cut by Kevin Gray. I have the record. It has his distinct KPG@CA in both sides of the deadwax.

@0476pearljam, I have no idea if KG cut the Euro version. I've only got the US.

The only record I'm going by second hand info in my post is that Judy Collins was also cut by Kevin Gray, since I don't own it yet. Another member verified it as such and I may go out today and get it.

Here's the odd thing. The first week's wave (Love, Beau Brummels, Young Rascals, Association) that I got were all pressed at Record Industry. Their tell-tale coding is in the deadwax. All the other releases I have purchased (except Dusty which touts RTI on a sticker) have the Record Industry coding AND the GZ Vinyl coding. Its very strange. You obviously can't press a record at two plants. I would assume one did the plating and one did the pressing.

Why? I don't know. I would assume both could plate as well as press. I've never seen this happen on any recent releases from Record Industry and/or GZ Vinyl. I'm not good enough with pressing rings to be able to tell which did the pressing.

16. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Can you tell who cut the Peter Paul & Mary? Does it have a little sideways "IS" that kind of looks like a weird roman numeral? Or is it an intertwined 'CB' or a script KPG@CA? Those are the three engineers so far that have been associated with this program of regular releases.

17. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Distributors? Universal / Mercury just put the Dusty album out for the EU market in January, and it's likely there's still plenty of stock available on that.

MisterBritt likes this.
  18. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

Ian Sefchick at Capitol cut the PP&M.

Alofter and MickAvory like this.
  19. Just picked up the Goodbye and Hello and I have to say..it sounds amazing

20. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

So what is the consensus on Cosmic Sounds? Without hearing it in mono, I would have assumed that an album like this was made for stereo. Am I wrong?

21. The mono sound good but they should have gone stereo for this one . I have an original stereo .

22. Mr. Bob Dobalena

Mr. Bob Dobalena Forum Resident

That "Getting Together" comp is a fun listen--like tuning in to top 40 radio for an hour.

And I look at this collection as a sort of homage to the K-Tel compilations back in the day, hence the rather cheesy cover artwork.

Christopher B, Chellovek and Bob J like this.
  23. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I was afraid that would be the case.

24. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

I might go for Aretha Arrives.

25. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

How does the Dusty album sound? I'm playing my original Atlantic right now and, yikes, what a thin and anemic sounding record! I should add it's a Columbia pressing on Atlantic, from 1969.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.