Rhino Records Summer of Love issues, July 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob J, May 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident Thread Starter

I had the same thought about this new mono reissue but then I realized that it was Sundazed that did the mono LP back in the early 2000's, not Rhino. You're right about the old Atco pressings being noisy. I've gone through MANY pressings and I finally found a quiet stereo copy. Look for this one.

[​IMG]

Not only is the vinyl nice and quiet, but it's a George Piros mastering (probably from the 70's) and it's the best I have ever heard this album sound on vinyl.

fortherecord likes this.
  2. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I didn't know this album until just the other day and now it is getting heavy rotation. A really nice pressing. I have the EU one so not the American style cover that seems desirable to many on here, but the green vinyl is lovely. Free of pops and ticks. Sounds really punchy and clear on my system.

3. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

How do tell a George Piros pressing?

4. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

GP scrawled in the deadwax

5. chacha

Isn't this a crappy sounding album in either mono or stereo? I have an original mono - been ages since I've listened to it.

6. Bob J

George Piros masterings will have "AT/GP" etched in the dead wax.

fortherecord and chacha like this.
  7. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Tim Buckley's Goodbye and Hello is an incredible album among a slew of incredible albums that Elektra released in 1967. But I'm not sure that this reissue is mono, though.

fortherecord likes this.
  8. Bob J

It isn't audiophile material but it's not that bad in my opinion. If you have an original Atco mono, that might be part of the problem because the old Atco pressings were on the noisy side. The Sundazed mono is a great improvement over the old Atcos. I haven't played the new Rhino mono yet.

fortherecord and chacha like this.
  9. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Agreed, the listing for it does not say it is mono, i'm assuming it's stereo until see otherwise.

Tim Buckley - Goodbye & Hello

10. chacha

Well it was released in mono in 67 but maybe it's a fold? Never heard it.

fortherecord likes this.
  11. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt Forum Resident

I was curious about this when it was mentioned up-thread that this was going to be mono as neither Rhino or Amazon describe it as such, but checking around, all the UK independent stores I looked at list it as mono.

Chellovek likes this.
  12. Chellovek

Chellovek Forum Resident

Yeah, that's why I assumed it was mono, but we're indeed lacking official confirmation. We'll know in a few days one way or another.

13. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I'm not sure if this was mixed to mono or just a fold. I know Buckley's first album had a true mono mix.

14. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I really think that that album should be in the mix when people talk about the great albums of 1967. I'm glad that this reissue may bring it some attention.

15. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

A couple of the other titles turned out to be mono that were not listed as such,
    Both the Beau Brummels and The Electric Prunes albums appear to be mono according to discogs,
    but Rhino made no mention of either being in mono. The Dusty Springfield LP and Van Mo are both
    in Stereo, so the whole series isn't mono. Like you say, we'll find out soon.

Chellovek likes this.
  16. chacha

Is Dusty being included in Summer of Love? It has nothing to do with that period.

17. Yes. The spirit of the series I guess. And it probably took two years for love to get to Memphis anyway. :tiphat:

markshan, DeRosa and chacha like this.
  18. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

It just doesn't make sense that the Summer of Love compilation has so many non-1967 songs. There are more from other years. "Hey Joe" doesn't fit the Summer of Love aesthetic at all.

I like the places and travel songs together on the second disc - San Francisco, Do You Know the Way to San Jose, Leaving on a Jet Plane, Chelsea Morning, Coming into Los Angeles but even these songs aren't Summer of Love-well one is Spring of Love. "Leaving on a Jet Plane" from the early sixties? I love Rhino but I don't understand.

fortherecord likes this.
  19. Like the time , The Summer of Love can be in your Mind. It can be within you and without you :tiphat:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    RobCos02330 and WilliamWes like this.
  20. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Is the Dusty album out today? Has anyone picked it up?

21. These are all weekly Tuesday releases. Today is Aretha Dusty and Judy Collins and Buckley. I think Zodiac Cosmic Sounds too or that might be next week.

fortherecord and e.s. like this.
  22. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Has anyone else noticed it says "Plangent" on the back of the Grateful Dead release? That's good news that I haven't read elsewhere. I've only heard "the process" on live releases.

23. And the Dead record sounds really great

24. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Awesome. Been looking forward to Dusty In Memphis. Have a beat original, plus the recent UK reissue, but hoping this is the one.

25. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

That's what I've read; it's getting spun in short order. This is a cool idea. The Dead never had a 60's best-of comp like this. I think it might be a sleeper. We'll see.

jamesmaya likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.