Rhino "Rocktober" releases coming soon...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vinyl Addict, Aug 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I have that release and is a great LP on red vinyl, I will check out tonight to see if my copy has the same issue.

radiogod likes this.
  2. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Have you had a chance to listen to Eliminator more? I saw a copy the other day, debating if I should get it.

3. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Like to know as well my local has a copy and almost picked it up or should I have picked it up ? What do you think is it OOP

4. davidkeith

davidkeith Senior Member

I haven't dug out the CD to compare yet. But the Rocktober LP just sounds dead to my ears. It seems subdued and even muffled. I was disappointed the day I bought it, and listening again just now, I'm still disappointed.

I did find a nice copy of Afterburner a while ago, and while I know you can't really compare two different albums, but this original Afterburner pressing sounds more alive and exciting.

5. davidkeith

davidkeith Senior Member

I just pulled the CD out and tried it. It's a Made in USA by WEA Manufacturing copy (1 23774-2 RE-2 06). Bought it used several years ago when I couldn't find my original CD (Eliminator was one of the first two CDs bought in 1982 or 83 when I got my first player). It's LOUD and somewhat shrill, but it does sound more alive than the Rocktober LP. Neither are really satisfactory to my ears. I may have to search for an original pressing.

6. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Thanks for following up. I appreciate it!

bluejimbop likes this.
  7. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I did not hear a dropout on my copy. Just saying this reissue sounds very good to my ears underrated LP

8. radiogod

radiogod Forum Resident

Absolutely. It does sound fantastic, like a lot of Rhino reissues. That's weird. I definitely have what sounds like a drop out at around the 2:40 mark. I can also hear a little something on the Rhino web download but it has obviously been edited digitally. Only really noticeable when I'm listening with headphones.

9. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

Is it known when the two Alice Cooper albums with the problems will be issued properly?

10. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Electric Sydney likes this.
  11. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I will give another listen tomorrow with some headphones and let you know

radiogod likes this.
  12. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I doubled checked and I do have a drop out at 2:36 happens quick but it’s there

marcb likes this.
  13. radiogod

radiogod Forum Resident

Thanks for confirming that for me Tinnox! Good to know it's not a fault on my pressing. Otherwise, great record.

tinnox likes this.
  14. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

No problem that’s one of the reasons why I like the forum and it is a great LP sorry it took a little bit, hadn’t had time to spin some vinyl

marcb and radiogod like this.
  15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Thank you, thank you!

I just got the box set recently and was wondering the same thing a week or so ago after listening to Ooh La La for the first time.

I did search but didn’t find anything (here or elsewhere on the interweb) and was too lazy to ask the question. But I went back and listened to Silicone Grown on the Five Guys box (CD version) and it’s NOT there. So I thought for sure I’d gotten a bum copy - and since the box was purchased sealed and not returnable, I would have to buy the red vinyl version if I wanted a clean copy.

Anyway...yes, my box set copy (presumably the same cut as yours) has some sort of glitch/drop-out at the ~2:40 mark. So apparently neither of us got a bum copy - or perhaps everybody has a bum copy.

It doesn’t quite sound like a drop-out or skip to me - my first thought at the time is there might be something imbedded in the vinyl. I’m now thinking it might be worth an email to Rhino just to see what’s up on this.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    tinnox likes this.
  16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Didn’t see your post until after I posted. Thank you also...

Interesting that it’s apparently there, but fixed, on the download. As I said, I didn’t hear it on the Five Guys version - but maybe I need to listen to that again.

radiogod and tinnox like this.
  17. radiogod

radiogod Forum Resident

My theory is that there was something on the master that appeared on the vinyl because it was an analog cut. They were then able to fix it digitally for the download.

funknik and marcb like this.
  18. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Yep. That seems the most plausible reason.

“When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras...”

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    radiogod likes this.
  19. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

Exactly right.

ad180 likes this.
  20. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Finally got around to playing the gold vinyl Velvet Underground Loaded.

More detail than my original first pressing Cotillion, but at the cost of some painful ear-stabbing treble.

21. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

painful ear-stabbing treble, maybe due the color gold? I hope they re-release in black vinyl.

22. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

23. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Colored vinyl has virtually nothing to do with EQ (though some might argue a difference between vinyl compounds, it would be subtle and not “painful ear-stabbing treble”).

marcb likes this.
  24. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Don't bother. It is a dreadful mastering.

funknik likes this.
  25. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Nah. Same mastering as the trebly RSD pressing from a few years ago. It’d sound the same on black as it does on pink or gold.

funknik likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.