Rhino "Rocktober" releases coming soon...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vinyl Addict, Aug 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

A thing of beauty! + Chris Bellman cut + embossed cover + billion dollar bill + cards... may become my favorite reissue ever!

2. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

BTW, Rocktober Stooges is not quite gold and black as expected, but clear/smoke. Rhino's website description has been updated accordingly.

[​IMG]

Ambst95 and John Bliss like this.
  3. dusttones

dusttones Forum Resident

I like it! How's it sound? I'm going to try to track one down this weekend.

4. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

I've only played it once at low volume but I think it sounds nice. It's not the Ron McMaster cut as the latest Rhino. GI in deadwax with a symbol I can't identify. Tried to make some pictures but it's tricky because of the clear vinyl.

Edit: I think I got it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  5. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I grabbed the Alice Cooper the other day based on the verification that it is Chris Bellman cut. I opened it up and spun it last night. It is indeed a Chris Bellman cut and it sounds fantastic. Full bass and great sound overall. I've got a mid-70s Palm Tree pressing that I like, but I'm partial to the CB cut. My old copy has the cards, but not the bill. I was glad to get a complete package with nice looking colored vinyl and a good pressing. It does have the RTI plate numbers (probably from the older Rhino pressing), but I haven't analyzed the pressing ring molds to be sure it was pressed at RTI. It is definitely not 180g or 200g. I guess because of the translucent green.

6. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Yeah, it makes me wish I liked Alice Cooper :). Half-Price Books is stocking all of these if anyone has a HPB in their area. I'm planning on picking up the Faces and the Stooges. I'd kind of like to grab Machine Head too, but it's hard to justify another copy of that album just for the novelty of clear vinyl--if it was purple (why isn't it purple?!?!?!) I might cave ;)

7. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

Ian Sefchick!

John Brookbank and mick_sh like this.
  8. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Exactly! Thank you!

9. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

These are on Amazon US. Search for rocktober 2016 vinyl and pay attention to the descriptions by the third party sellers. Some note the colored vinyl, others don't. YMMV.

Also at Half Price Books and Barnes & Noble retail stores.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    John Bliss likes this.
  10. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

After seeing your post this morning of that Cooper LP, I checked and my local Barnes & Noble store actually claimed to have a copy, according to their website, so I drove there (1/2 hour each way) and I didn't see it. That is, until I was just about to ask the clerk who was helping another customer and there it was, right on the top of the huge stack of all of their LP releases, to be shelved for today. They had almost all of those "Rocktober" releases in that stack, but the only one that I really wanted is that super cool looking Cooper album! As a record/CD collector since the early '70's, I have to be honest and say that I'm absolutely not at all happy about this vinyl resurgence, just so record companies and stores like "Barnes & Noble", who were both suffering from past greed, can now charge full price, once again, especially when young fans of collecting can not possibly be able to afford these crazy priced reissues! I also think that "Barnes & Noble" and their "exclusive" colored vinyl campaign, is a bit of a joke. I mean, who the hell is buying a "clear vinyl exclusive" of the new Michael Buble album?

John Bliss and mick_sh like this.
  11. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Just ran out to my Barnes & Noble to grab that Cooper lp based on all the positive feedback I read here... my old copy is trashed. Was hoping to find that Flamin Groovies comp as well but none of the stores near me has it.

John Bliss and mick_sh like this.
  12. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I think Flamin Groovies is next Tuesday!

13. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

Anyone know who mastered the Deep Purple Machine Head LP? Curious if it's the same Kevin Gray cut from the earlier vinyl release.

Opeth likes this.
  14. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member

Maybe my local put it out early, but I have had the Flamin' Groovies for a couple weeks.

15. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

They must have. Rhino's website says its to be released on 10/25.

Is there any indication in the deadwax who mastered it? Or where it was pressed?

16. Ambst95

Ambst95 Member

Just played The Stooges for the first time. The album shines on my lower end rig. The smokey look is pretty sweet looking too.

John Bliss likes this.
  17. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Been wondering this myself I may just have to get one to find out.

18. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Yep...it is the same KG cut.

19. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Excellent !

20. I picked up the Groovies several days ago.

Also got the Cooper and played it once. I'll play it again this weekend since I thought it sounded dull this evening; very congested but I've never owned a copy of BDB. But does look very cool.

21. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

Thanks!

jon9091 likes this.
  22. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member

It has the odd sign pictured above which someone said is Ian Sefchick.

23. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Hopefully I can stop by bull moose today and pick up machine head. I can't wait for the heaven and hell 2lp also ! Yes even though I already have both :)

24. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Well don't get too excited. The KG cut of Machine Head only got mixed reviews around here as I recall. I haven't heard it myself. I guess you guys can report back how you like it--more data points :)

dkmonroe and hi_watt like this.
  25. pofonso

pofonso Forum Resident

Having compared the Rhino Machine Head vs the first UK press, well, there's really no comparison. The first UK edition is so much better in my system (Transrotor Zet1, with Jelco arm, Transfiguration Axia S cartridge).

hi_watt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.