Rhino "Rocktober" releases coming soon...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vinyl Addict, Aug 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

The I & S initials in the deadwax are for Ian Sefchick who also mastered a bunch of the Rhino Summer of Love releases and the consensus seems to be that he did a very nice job on them. I just picked up a copy of "Love it to Death" (original thumb cover and on Straight label) for $2. It plays better than it looks condition-wise so I probably won't bother with the new release. I'm thinking about "Pretties For You".

John Bliss and GentleSenator like this.
  2. slayer13

slayer13 Active Member

Hello,i am new to the forum.I want to ask if anybody purchased the reissue of Testament-The legacy and tell me about sound quality vs original vinyl.

Thanks

3. slayer13

slayer13 Active Member

4. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

It's a new cut, Mastered At Capitol in the deadwax.

hi_watt likes this.
  5. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

Listening to the new T.Rex Electric Warrior and gotta say it sounds better than any of the 10 diff pressings I've has in the past. Nice glossy cover as well

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Still wondering, no Discogs submission either.

John Bliss likes this.
  7. Douglas Souders

Douglas Souders Forum Resident

Ian Sefchick.

John Bliss likes this.
  8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Much obliged. :tiphat:

9. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Was this one cut by Ian Sefchick? Any notes on the mastering?

10. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

Pure analog cut by Kevin Gray from the original master tape. That glitch you hear at around 2:39 on "Get It On" is in the master.
    The previous Rhino vinyl was cut from a "fixed" digital master.

DeRosa, lightbulb, John Bliss and 4 others like this.
  11. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

How are any of you able to get a hold of the T.Rex release for Rocktober? Rhino's website and Barnes and Noble doesn't say it has been released yet. Or am I mistaken? Did you guys get pre-release copies or something?

I'm glad for the reports of Kevin Gray analog cutting. I've been wanting to add this one to the collection for a while, but I heard the last digital Rhino cut was terrible so I skipped it, until now.

btltez and MagneticSouth1966 like this.
  12. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Sounds promising, I have been looking for a decent copy of this classic. :righton:

sully12 and jimhb like this.
  13. MagneticSouth1966

MagneticSouth1966 Forum Resident

Yeah, this KG AAA cut of Electric Warrior is music to my ears! Searching it out this weekend...

14. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I just purchased it from Bull Moose. This makes me happy!

btltez and MagneticSouth1966 like this.
  15. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

Just gave it a quick spin - sounds incredible! I'm not terribly familiar with this album; but it sure sounds good to me.

jimhb likes this.
  16. sully12

sully12 Forum Resident

T.Rex is fantastic! I like how they put the original poster as the inside gatefold photo. 180g RTI, KG cut AAA with glossy Tip On Gatefold...so glad I waited picking this album up!

jimhb likes this.
  17. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

awesome news on the T. Rex release. i can't wait.

18. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Picked up a copy today- red vinyl. Have not listened to it yet but has " carl-jam" in the dead wax. Who is "carl" ?

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  19. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

Carl Rowatti maybe?

20. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Ordered a trex pretty pumped for that one. Got the zz top first album and testament the legacy also.

21. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

ZZ Top's first album arrived today from BM. CB in deadwax (his initials are in everything lately !) Looks like RTI pressing.. I never even seen an original london in the wild, very happy to have this. First 3 ZZ top albums forever !!

22. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Thin Lizzy update... Cleaned and listen to first LP... not impressed. Bass is muddled, vocals are veiled, poor dynamics. I have a first press Japanese copy that I will have to throw on to compare but from memory it is miles better than this one. I would pass and look for an original. This one goes in the "for sale" box for me. Bummer..I was hoping for a good remaster.
    ATB,
    Mark

Musiko, Opeth and spaulding like this.
  23. slayer13

slayer13 Active Member

Hello,can you tell me opinion about Testament-the legacy,sound quality?

24. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Hmmm...Discogs has this as a Ron McMaster cut. That would be a RM in the deadwax....anyone see that?

• Remastered By, Lacquer Cut By – RM*
    • Remastered By, Producer [Reissue], Liner Notes [Backsleeve] – Joe Reagoso

Thin Lizzy - Live And Dangerous

25. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

My only basis for comparison is the original US cd mastering, as I'm sure you know this album is not known for it's sound quality. It was always kind of a muddled mess no lows or crispness in the highs kind of a midrange barrage of guitars. Right after I finished side2 I played apocalyptic city off the cd to compare real quick.. The new rocktober sounds a bit better than the cd but it is no revelation and the album still sounds like it always has lol. Mastered by capital stamped and there's a sideways "|S|" etched but I do not know who that is. From the other info in the deadwax it looks like an optimal press.. Plays nicely slight groove noise but flat and centered. Pretty happy with it but it's no sonic marvel same as always.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.