Rhino/Warner ~ Original Album Series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Good collection but Uncle Tupelo is hardly grunge.

2. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The Prince and the Tom Waits one are near impossible to get here now. I don't know if they're deleted or just super fast sellers.

3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I grabbed the Prince before it was halted, nice set
    An Australian forum member told me a few months ago Ebay had warned him about selling it, funny maybe why they are being sold individually now

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  4. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  5. Jackie P

Jackie P Music Addict Thread Starter

Three albums from the early 1960's, and two from the early 1970's.

[​IMG]

(Disc 1 - Recorded Live 1961) Herbie Mann at the Village Gate (Atlantic)

(Disc 2 - Recorded 1962) Do The Bossa Nova With Herbie Mann (Atlantic)

(Disc 3 - Recorded 1961/2) Nirvana - Herbie Mann and The Bill Evans Trio (Atlantic)

(Disc 4 - Recorded 1970) Muscle Shoals Nitty Gritty (Embryo)

(Disc 5 - Recorded Live 1972) Hold On, I'm Comin' (Atlantic)

I've been thoroughly enjoying hearing the mixed bag of instrumental styles presented here.

There's a good sound on the CDs, and if tasty Soul, Jazz and Bossa Nova music appeals to you then this bargain box is a must.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
    Say likes this.
  6. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

I have these 2 also and they are truly excellent. The sound is much improved over
    previous releases, especially In the Right Place. Also have the Coltrane, ZZ Top
    (can't get enough of "Francine"), Aretha, Otis, Wilson Pickett etc.

Tip: If you have a Barnes & Noble near you check their CD section.
    I picked up the Dr. John & Coltrane sets for $7.99 there.

7. popscene

popscene Senior Member

Sorry if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but every Barnes & Noble in my area also has the Bobby Darin, Rickie Lee Jones, Simply Red and Donny Hathaway sets for $7.99. A fantastic deal...I wish there were others!

Edit: Glancing through the last few pages of the thread, I see there are other references to this....and a link that makes me wish I had more money. :)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
    Dave S likes this.
  8. Mx5468

Mx5468 Well-Known Member

Here's the dynamic range for anyone that wants to know:

CD1 - White Feathers
    http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/66215

CD2 - Islands
    http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/66214

CD3 - Crazy People's Right To Speak
    http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/66213

CD4 - Don't Suppose
    http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/66212

CD5 - Colour All My Days
    http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/66211

It would've been a nice CD set to buy but what happened on the 5th album.

9. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Anybody seen any CDs like this? It's a single-disc "best of" in a jewel case, but the cover is clearly designed like the Original Album Series boxes. This one is on Word/Curb, and therefore tied in with WEA. I looked around on amazon.com but I couldn't find anything else like this.

[​IMG]

10. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

That's how I did it. :pineapple:

11. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

That's pretty cheesy. I'd be pretty pissed if I bought that thinking I was getting 6 CDs.

12. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Ha! Me too. But like I said, it's in a single-CD jewel case, not a box. For a minute I thought they might have actually put all the albums on one disc in mp3 format. But no, it's just a 15-song best of. After seeing this I fully expected to unearth some others like it on amazon, but so far I haven't seen anything.

13. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Way late but it's worth mentioning for others - these all have the same mastering as the original Warner releases - ie, great and dynamic (these albums were never actually remastered). It would make an excellent starter set (though get Party Mix / Mesopotamia too, they should have included that instead of Cosmic Thing to have all the Ricky era albums, but i get that the latter was included to boost sales).

This is a good way of guaranteeing getting a Warner CD of the first album if you are in territories with the Island release - as the Warner CD is the original mix and the Island CD uses alternate mixes of certain things. The other CDs are the same on both labels, though I seem to remember that there's slightly more low level hiss on one of the versions of Wild Planet, obvious if you turn up Party Out Of Bounds and compare the intros.

Anyone know what mastering the Peter Tosh set has? It seems like a ripoff since it's lacking the remaster bonus tracks but if it was original masterings it might be worth it.

jupiter8 and c-eling like this.
  14. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I'm that "other" thanks for the info, a few of my old discs are pretty chewed up :)

onionmaster likes this.
  15. rzahl

rzahl Forum Resident

Wish I knew about the Patti Smith and Steve Harley collections before, pleasantly surprised by the latter's inclusion.

16. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I've purchased a few of these. Had no idea how extensive the catalog was but I have just ordered more on Amazon. An excellent deal, especially when compared to the bloated prices of itunes. Been pleased with the ones I already have. All I have to do is rip em.

17. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Picked up the America and Young Rascals sets at B&N for US $8.99.

18. Pigalle

Pigalle Forum Resident

Some forthcoming releases

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and one that has just been released for those of you wanting to explore the genius that is Roy Wood

[​IMG]

Mik likes this.
  19. Jackie P

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    sjaca and PhantomStranger like this.
  20. cordobaman

cordobaman Rich Corinthian Leather

Since Bad Co. Is in the news with their first two being released in "Deluxe", does anyone have comment on the source/quality of their OAS set?

21. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

They would likely be the same as what's available individually, if consistent with other sets

22. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

The Only Ones set also has bonus tracks, using the latest remasters (from 2009). I bought the set just for a version of "Oh No" that I didn't have elsewhere. (Sadly, the lack of liner notes in these types of sets means I have no idea where that version of "Oh No" comes from).

http://www.discogs.com/Only-Ones-Original-Album-Classics/release/4728078

[​IMG]

Mylene likes this.
  23. Jackie P

Clarification is required here as it is easy to confuse these box sets.

Some titles in Sony's Original Album Classics do have 'bonus' tracks.

Most titles in Rhino's Original Album Series do not.

Dino, stem and hurple like this.
  24. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

That Greenwich Village set is a steal, I already have the individual CDs, I never thought they'd come out in a boxed set.
    Has anyone listened to the Brinsley Schwarz set? I've never had any of their albums so this would be a good introduction.

25. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

Wot no Brinsley's fans here? If you don't have the Original Album Series set perhaps you have the original CD s this set is based on and can comment on the sound quality?