Rhino/Warner ~ Original Album Series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Oct 28, 2011.

1. moops

moops Senior Member

If Warner are taking requests I'll take a Bee Gees set containing ........ Cucumber Castle / 2 Years On / Trafalgar / To Whom It May Concern / Mr. Natural .......... it would be a perfect way for them to at least get these albums back on the shelf again. :thumbsup:

apple-richard likes this.
  2. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

3. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Best Buy stores in the US just started carrying these sets. A store near me had a bunch of them on the new release display (Madonna, Alanis Morrissette, etc.) for 19.99 each earlier this week.

4. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

I saw them too. I came very close to picking up The Cars.

5. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

6. yogibear

yogibear Active Member

i have the Brecker Brothers original album series. good stuff good value.

7. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

Tom Paxton...

Has anyone bought the Tom Paxton set and can comment on sound quality etc?
    Thanks, Trevor.

8. This is going off a vague recollection, as I haven't really given the set my full attention. Okay sound but the masterings all sounded taken from older masters EQed for LP. Nothing particularly bad about them but expect a pretty dull listening experience, circa 1988.

9. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

John Fell likes this.
  10. michaelscrutchin

michaelscrutchin Forum Resident

Just a word of warning: The Cars set is a brickwalled mess with nonstop clipping. I was surprised because most of the other Original Album Series sets I got tend to use early CD masterings from the '80s or early '90s. I don't know where these masterings came from, but I know they're not from the original Cars CDs.

11. live evil

live evil Senior Member

Has anyone picked up the Bonnie Raitt set? Does this contain the older version s or the remasters?

12. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Charles Mingus set by Rhino/Warner.

It contains:
    Pithecanthropus Erectus
    The Clown
    Blues & Roots
    Oh Yeah
    Tonight At Noon

Some great albums there.
    Sounds pretty good too.

Attached Files:

Poison_Flour likes this.
  13. mesfen

mesfen Senior Member

waiting on the Fleetwood Mac set that has Then Play On, Kiln House, Future Games, Bare Trees and Mystery to Me

14. Jackie P

Jackie P Music Addict Thread Starter

I have always thought the sound on "Little Feat", the first CD
    in this set sounded better than how I remembered the vinyl.
    On the actual CD itself it states that this edition has been remixed
    by Bob Kovach.

15. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

That's because Rhino is using the latest remasters available for these US versions. Since they have already re-issued them that way as individual budget line CD's (starting last year through this Spring), it would only make sense for them to use the same versions in this set in it's US debut.

The bonus tracks were part of the mid 90's re-issues, which the UK set uses, and are now out of print. On the plus side, there were many reports of problems with skipping and dropouts on the UK version, too, which this new set should not have, as it uses newer remasters.

16. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

17. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

:thumbsup: Nice. Even better. Thank ye.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Album-Booker-T-MgS/dp/B008MMFBPM/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1347896414&sr=1-1

I'm guessing the sound is the same as the Atlantic & Atco Remasters
    series that came out in the early '90s.
    These were remastered by Bill Inglot and Dan Hersch at DigiPrep.

I have Soul Dressing from that series and it sounds very good.
    No volume pump-up and smooth.

18. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

Tom Paxton

Has anyone else got comments about the sound quality of the original CDs? The albums in question are:
    Illusions
    Snapshot
    Is Love Enough?
    After Hours
    Cool
    Thanks, Trevor.

19. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

I picked The Cars one up a few weeks ago and can confirm that the masterings for both Candy-O and Panorama are the HDCD remasters from the late 90s. Both Shake It Up and Heartbeat City appear to be the original masterings while the self-titled debut is a bit of a mystery because when I put it into my Oppo BDP-83SE it comes up with a HDCD flag but when you hit play, the intro two notes to Good Times Roll starts quite softly before the HDCD flag is removed and the volume increases. When played in my Denon DVD-3930 the HDCD flag is not detected even though it is HDCD compatible.

Thankfully I have the DCC The Cars, the MFSL Candy-O & Shake It Up and the AF Heartbeat City. Please someone do Panorama.

On the series in general, where the hell is Devo? WB must really hate them to have never released a set for them. Their first five albums would seem to fit right into this series.

20. The Curtis Mayfield set has somewhat mixed sounded. The debut sounds OK but it also sounds like it was pulled from several generations from the master or, perhaps, Dolby was used and it was played back incorrectly. "Superfly" sounds quite nice.

21. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

I got the Linda Ronstadt set today. Living in the USA and Mad Love are OOP, so fans who want those can get them here. Great collection.

zen likes this.
  22. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

This sounds like something I need to get. I notice Amazon UK has a release date of 25 Dec 2013...surely this is incorrect.

On checking WowHD it says 17 Sept 2012...same date the Alice Cooper one came out...but not in stock

Anyone got this or can clear up if its been released yet ??

23. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The Fleetwood Mac is out in Australia now as is the Booker T. I saw them both on the weekend.

24. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

I contacted Rhino about this, still no response.

25. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

I saw a few of these sets in Walmart recently. They're 19.99, the same price as Best Buy.