Rhino/Warner ~ Original Album Series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Oct 28, 2011.

1. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

anyone get the B52's? How does it sound?

2. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident

3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

EMI's got into the act now with 5 CD Radiohead, Roxy Music, The Doves, Jethro Tull and Gary Moore first cabs off the rank.

[​IMG]

4. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Saw the ZZ Top at Walmart today.

5. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Grabbed the Fleetwood Mac one over the weekend...some good stuff amongst these albums...some not so good stuff too! Overall worth having for the bargain price!

6. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Yeah saw the FM one today here in Wellington. Very tempted given that it has most of the 'lost' period of the band's albums. Any info on SQ?

Also saw De La Soul in JB HI-Fi which was a new one to me...

7. I saw that. I'm curious if we get the original masterings, the Ludwig remasters (except Viva which was mastered by someone else) or the new remasters.

8. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

BTW - heads up - the Simple Minds one in this series is not the same as the UK 'X5' set. Similar titles match but there are differences.

9. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

Which are the best masterings?- I really don't mind the Ludwigs?

10. The latest are getting raves (including from me) they are minimally messed with, go back to the original master tapes, have great dynamics, etc. a couple of albums have 1 or 2 tracks where there are some minor drop outs.

If you're happy with your Ludwig's that's ok but the latest sounds less harsh to me, more analog like and sound great. Before you take the plunge I'd suggest to see if you can hear them for comparison's sake to see which is best for you.

11. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

How about the Judas Priest set?

12. moops

moops Senior Member

13. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

The Priest set uses the 2001 Jon Astley remasters. I wouldn't waste $20 for a set of terrible sounding remasters of albums you may already have as a 1st pressing CD or vinyl.

14. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

I picked this set up while Christmas shopping (for me of course), for the same reason you did, availability of the last 2 titles.

It took a while for me to zero in on the best level at which to play Living In The U.S.A., but eventually the disc sounded almost as good as the '70s LP I was familiar with. Next I tried Prisoner In Disguise. Leaving the volume level where it was for previous CD, I had to just sample Prisoner because the volume was up markedly.

None of the other CDs was incompatible with the level I had settled on for Living In The USA. I have to draw the conclusion that only Prisoner was a remaster. When I played it at an adjusted level today it sounded just fine, other than a little excessive in terms of bass (that could be my fault).

I'm wondering if this is just reality for Ronstadt's big selling albums on CD. I remember her catalog was supposed to be remastered ala Eric Clapton's and Rod Stewart's catalogs in the mid to late '90s. A few years later Prisoner was re-released, sounding different. People spoke of a "secret" (no promotion) remaster, but it never was confirmed for any other title.

Has the release of this 5 CD box confirmed the status of her catalog - one remaster, all others unchanged? I have almost all her gold CDs, and I'm not looking for a buying recommendation. It's just that all the old official/unoffcial scuttlebutt seems to have come together in a confirming reality with this box.

15. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

I also noticed that Prisoner In Disguise was a good deal louder than the other 4 discs.

16. JonnyMidnight

JonnyMidnight Member

I met Jerry Wexler a few times. Let's just say he underestimated everybody. Great guy though.

17. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Best Buy has many of the Warner, Sony, and Universal sets for $20.

Does anyone know if the Billy Joel set uses the '98 masters? I was hoping they would have used the masters from the complete Billy Joel box set from a couple of years ago, but I am not optimistic.

18. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

I agree that Living In The USA sounded great, Mad Love sounds fine too but the song selection is 'off'. What did you think of Simple Dreams? To me it was muffled and Linda's voice lacks the detail that I remember from the LP? Perhaps the MoFi is better? Can't find it at Amazon though.
    Now onto Prisoner In Disguise and Hasten Down The Wind.
    Regards, Trevor.

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The Simple Dreams MoFi is listed twice on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...-keywords=linda ronstadt simple dreams mobile

20. I have heard this set uses the HDCD remasters.

21. Could have been mastered at a latter time or could be me of those secret remasters.

22. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

I own the 4 MoFi Ronstadt CDs released in the last few years, so I just kind of hopped around Simple Dreams and Hasten Down The Wind. While the MoFis sound better, these 2 albums in particular suffer from vocal processing that can be easily identified (muffled as you said), regardless of the source disc.

Prisoner In Disguise isn't noticibly affected. For Living In The USA they seem to have stepped away from whatever they were using on many/most of the tracks. On Mad Love, they wanted her to wail on the New Wave songs she was singing. I have to think they knew the older alterations to her voice wouldn't work for wailing.

23. MrRobivan

MrRobivan Active Member

I would love to hear some comments on the Montrose set, if anyone has that.

24. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Just listened to Friday Music's reissue of Montrose. Simply outstanding in all areas. Smooth with kick-ass bass throughout. Highly recommended.

25. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

The Randy Newman original LPs sound great but really hard to find a quiet one. Tim Buckley on quiet vinyl would be well worth it. Nighthawks at the Diner is one of the best sounding and entertaining live recordings ever. If they got these done well I'm all in.