Rian Johnson creating a new Star Wars Trilogy!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JWew, Nov 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Let me be the first to say that giving control of this project over to the singer in AC/DC is a very risky move. Given his background, I think the movies will seem thematically very similar.

BNell, enro99, Plan9 and 3 others like this.
  2. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

And quite unexpected. :)

3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Bon Scott would have done it much better.

Grunge Master and Encuentro like this.
  4. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Don’t get me started. If they need to outline a prison escape that fact will stick out like a sore thumb.

JWew and Chris DeVoe like this.
  5. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Do yourself a favor and read the Marvel Star Wars: Darth Vader comic. The first volume of 25 issues by Kieron Gillen is fabulous. Great character work. It'll scratch that itch better than any movie ever could.

6. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

enro99 and Wounded Land like this.
  7. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Grunge Master and Encuentro like this.
  8. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

To many

Space/aliens = Star wars

9. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Yes, I excluded American Graffiti because I haven't seen it...as I said.

So even if AG is as great as you think, then he made 3 good movies and 3 garbage ones...not much of a record.

10. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

No he directed 6 movies...and 3 of them, definitely, suck.

11. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

In Lucas' defense, there is much more that goes into making a film than directing. Lucas created the Star Wars universe. He directed the first film, but he wrote the stories that became The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. He also created the Indiana Jones series. Spielberg directed the films, but the character and the stories were his brainchild. He created the character. He wrote the stories. The first 3 Indiana Jones films are very well-regarded. They're classics. Two of the most iconic trilogies in motion picture history were created by George Lucas. Whether or not some agree with some of his choices, the man deserves a great deal of credit. He is a creative genius.

12. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Yes, he wrote the stories and deserves credit for that. But when he also wrote the screenplay (Ep I, II, III, IV, VI), only was really good, one was good, and other three were wretched.

13. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I think of Star Wars as a single creative endeavor in Lucas' career. For instance, if you're only familiar with The Fifth Element and the Resident Evil franchise, you might not know that Milla Jojovich is a talented actress.

Simon A likes this.
  14. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Why? They're all distinct movies and the distinction between the original trilogy and the prequels couldn't be starker. Star Wars and Empire are great movies and ROTJ would've been great if Lucas didn't intentionally decide to make a kid's movie his son could watch and turn the Wookies into Ewoks.

The prequels, on the other hand have terrible screenplays, terrible direction, terrible CGI...they're an utter travesty AFAIC.

15. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Not much of a record. He only created Star Wars and Indiana Jones. No biggie...

Chris DeVoe and Encuentro like this.
  16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Star Wars X: Back In Black (Darth's Reincarnation And The Attack Of The Ball Breakers)

17. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Yeah, so let's ride those coattails for 40 years and do absolutely nothing of consequence in the interim.

And Steven Spielberg made Indiana Jones his own. That's like saying Gene Roddenberry can take credit for everything under the Star Trek name. Yes, he created the idea but beyond that, most thought that he sucked as a writer.

Vidiot likes this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm only talking about everything after October 2012, when he sold all of Lucasfilm. Everything before that was his decision (or his approval). But the thread title -- "Rian Johnson Creating a New Star Wars Trilogy" -- that's not something you can blame on Lucas.

It's always important to look at messages in the context of the thread on which they comment.

I know of people who worked on Next Generation who felt that Roddenberry was a pretty good manager but a terrible writer. And in many ways, the show succeeded in spite of Roddenberry, particularly after other people took over after Gene fell ill in 1989 and moved the story and characters in different directions. You can make a good argument that because other people stepped in as showrunners, this gave new life to Star Trek and helped it change and grow for another 10 years.

Maybe this can work with Star Wars as well. Certainly Disney thinks so.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    budwhite, RK2249, Simon A and 2 others like this.
  19. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

You're correct...I took it out of context... sorry about that.

I'd still rather watch TFA or RO over the prequels though.

I'd read the same about Roddenberry, hence my comment. I put him and Lucas in the same category...they came up with (ultimately) great ideas and stories but beyond that...a mixed bag at best.

Vidiot likes this.
  20. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

It's like saying Francis Ford Coppola overall is a bad filmmaker because he made Jack with Robin Williams, never mind the fact that he also gave us The Godfather, The Conversation, The Godfather Part II and Apocalypse Now. Jack does nothing to diminish those accomplishments. Similarly, I don't think the prequels at all diminish the reputation of anything Lucas did in the '70s.

And I think Lucas should get a pass as a filmmaker because of his not one but two major contributions to pop culture, both enjoying considerable cultural impact lasting far longer than most other movies released at that time. That's not nothing, and it's a hard act for anyone to follow. You're lucky if you can come up with one great idea for the ages, like Ian Fleming, Gene Roddenberry and J.K. Rowling. Lucas had two.

budwhite and Encuentro like this.
  21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The worst thing I can say about Lucas is I think his films got worse when he stopped relying on outside writers. I think he's fine as the producer and overseer, but terrible as a writer and so-so as a director. There's a lot of cases where he seemed to say, "since we can make this entire room in CGI, let's do it that way!" But there's a lot of cases where just because you can do something doesn't mean you should, and there's also a lot of examples in the first three Star Wars episodes where "more" was not better.

RK2249 and Simon A like this.
  22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I wonder if sometimes what made George Lucas so cool was also his undoing. Cutting edge risk taking and taking effects to another level worked with Star Wars (I also refuse to call it A New Hope). Did he think "I will now be the first to use all CGI to build a universe"? Only this time the cutting edge attitude wasnt such a good idea...

I mean I know thats not the complete picture of what went wrong with George Lucas' influence, but his ego had to have been huge after all those years.

budwhite likes this.
  23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The opinion of the author of The Secret History of Star Wars is basically by the late 1990s, there was nobody left among George's industry friends (Spielberg, Lucas, Scorcese, Coppola, DePalma, etc.) who could read Lucas' scripts and tell him "no" when something wasn't working. I think you can make a good argument that George worked best with a lot of collaborators who were his equal; when he was entirely in charge, things went south (as with Phantom Menace).

budwhite, Bhob, RK2249 and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.