Richard Harris' MacArthur Park question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by badfingerjoe, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

BTW, Marshall loved my idea on an AF SACD of "A Tramp Shining"

Batears52 and bhazen like this.
  2. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

Same here!

3. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

That was a great skit.

4. BradOlson

This of course has not been confirmed, it is only an idea.

5. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Who won American Idol doing this song? She did a great version (imo), and I knew she was going to win after I heard her performance too.

6. Reader

Reader Senior Member

I'd buy an AF SACD of "A Tramp Shining" in a second. That's the type of release I'd like to see them do more often, something not as mainstream as many of their releases.

bhazen, CliffL and BradOlson like this.
  7. BradOlson

We all know that the mainstream rock releases pay the bills, but still, this kind of release is for something different once in a while. Kind of like when AF released Harry Belafonte's Calypso.

8. Reader

Reader Senior Member

I try to support them. I got the Harry Belafonte's "Calypso" and enjoy it. Brad, thanks for suggesting the Harris LP. You should get a mention in the booklet if they do it. I'll thank you anyway. I really hope this will see the light of day even though you said it was just an idea.

9. AJH

AJH Senior Member

If memory serves, I don't think "A Tramp Shining" promotional copies were in mono (at least not in the U.S.) when they were originally distributed to radio stations. Even the MacArthur Park promotional single was sent to radio stations on a seven inch stereo 33 1/3 RPM record. I don't remember if the regular release of the album was available in mono.

AJH

10. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I have all of Richard Harris' albums. It mystifies me that so many people say he couldn't sing. His voice was clear and expressive. At times, he would break into a spoken line (He was an actor, after all), but so do lots of other singers. He actually had incredible range. A Tramp Shining is a masterpiece and one of the finest moments in the careers of both Harris and Jimmy Webb. My favorite Richard Harris album is the sadly underappreciated concept album, Slides, with a superb set of thematically linked songs written by the late Tony Romeo and ending with an "encore": Richard Harris reciting his own poem, "There Are Too Many Saviors On My Cross."

Siegmund likes this.
  11. henryjg

henryjg Forum Resident

Any chance you could repost the mono version of MacArthur Park? I would love to hear it!

12. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Webb says it doesn't.

13. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

MMM had heard it and deemed it a fold down...I can manage this over the weekend if still interested. while not convinced it is a folddown myself, I have no doubt in Martin's ears!

14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

"Jimmy Webb wrote it", "Richard Harris dictated it" (LOL)

15. henryjg

henryjg Forum Resident

Is it thought that the 45 contains a dedicated mono mix, or is it a fold-down as well?

16. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

When I played William's transfer vs a US 45 that's up online, it sounded like a fold-down in comparison. I wouldn't bet part of my body on it though.

17. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

"MacArthur Park" was the first 7-minute hit single. It runs for 7:20. "Hey Jude" is 7:11.

CaptainOzone likes this.
  18. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

A Tramp Shining is a fantastic album, and the first of 7 fine concept albums by Richard Harris. IMO, it's second only to the brilliant but neglected Slides which is well worth searching for. Am I the only one who thinks he was a truly great singer?

Siegmund and bhazen like this.
  19. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

For the full Richard Harris experience, you also need his other great concept albums: The Yard Went On Forever, My Boy, Slides (my favorite), I in the Membership of My Days (singing a few songs, but mainly reading his own poetry, backed by Terry James' orchestral music), Jonothan Livingston Seagull (reading an abridgement of Richard Bach's book with orchestral backing), and The Prophet (reading excerpts from Kahlil Gibran's book with music composed and produced by Arif Mardin).

20. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

All killer, no filler!

21. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

It was the only record on which I remember the DJs actually announcing the timing. "That was 7 minutes and 20 seconds of Richard Harris!"

22. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Much as I love Harris' voice, I've often wondered what would have happened if the song had been pitched to Roy Orbison. It may have revived his career.

bhazen likes this.
  23. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Forum Resident

and then Roy could have skipped recording this little ditty...

24. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Forum Resident

This is kind of cool:

MMM likes this.
  25. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

And there was only ever one other, namely "American City Suite." ("Taxi" was close).

Folknik likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.