Richard Hell & The Voidoids: Blank Generation Deluxe Edition (2CD & 2LP)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Oct 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

I have an original press on vinyl with the "You make me ____" cover. What's the difference between this new pressing and the one I have (other than the second disc)?

2. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Both the CD and LP are listed under the category 'RSD FIRST' RELEASE as opposed to RSD EXCLUSIVE RELEASE.
    BLACK FRIDAY 2017

I think this means this will get a general release later on (sometime in 2018). That's how I'm going to chance it anyway as I can't wait in line Black Friday.

Hep Alien likes this.
  3. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

That Spurts CD is one of the most compressed sounding messes in my collection. It's a shame, I think it is the only place for a digital copy of the original single version of The Kid with the Replaceable Head.
    The original Stiff single of (I Belong to the) Blank Generation (although it is a needledrop, which still sounds very good anyway) is on the Stiff Boxset.

Please correct me if I am wrong because I am going on memory, but I think the ORK version of You Gotta Lose is on Hits Greatest Stiffs (great title) which does not have a digital release.

Also, my memory may be failing me again, but I thought that there was an edition of the cover with his shirt closed. I can't find an example!

[​IMG]

BTW - I always skip over "The Plan" - it is too creepy!

DeeThomaz likes this.
  4. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

[​IMG]

driverdrummer and DeeThomaz like this.
  5. stereoptic

@sberger - Thanks! I forgot about the cassettes!

DeeThomaz likes this.
  6. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

I bought the '90 CD issue around 2006 and love it. Matter of fact, it's a perfect companion to Television's Marquee Moon and still makes me wonder how much greater the band could've been had Hell and Verlaine not have fallen out with each other. All the same though, I'm looking forward to this deluxe edition and appreciate the heads up on this, thanks!

Veni Vidi Vici and art like this.
  7. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Forum Resident

The Ork single was released way back when on CD:
    Richard Hell - Another World

It's also on this compilation CD from 2015:
    Various - Ork Records: New York, New York

The Kid with the Replaceable head is only on "Spurts" and it's B-Side, I'm a Man has still not made it to CD.
    The version released as a bonus track on the CD version of "Blank Generation" is an earlier version.

Hep Alien, DeeThomaz and stereoptic like this.
  8. stereoptic

Thanks!

9. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

Richard Hell is definitely one of those artists with a small but somehow very convoluted discography.

10. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Dope release. Gonna grab this one.

This has me thinking that an LP (or extra loaded Double LP) edition of the cassette mix of the Heartbreakers L.A.M.F. would make for a fantastic RSD release.

sberger likes this.
  11. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Just to add to this: The Ork single sounds amazing on the Ork Records: New York, New York compilation. It does not sound nearly as good on the older Overground UK CD release. Both of these release are, I believe, needledrops, but it's very hard to tell (or be certain) for the Ork Records set. (I had been told 15 years ago that the tapes for the "Another World" EP had long since gone missing, but the Numero Group set has me wondering).

Both sides of "The Kid with the Replaceable Head" single is great, and it's a shame that version of "I'm Your Man" hasn't made it to CD yet. Both of these tracks were produced by Nick Lowe, BTW. If only they'd made an entire LP!

Hep Alien, TheLoveDrags and DeeThomaz like this.
  12. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I have the original US market release on CD, which is pretty good. Proper, modern mastering of original source should be great. Fingers crossed.

13. DeeThomaz

Let me second both the praise for the SQ of the Ork box (well worth buying just for the RH tracks, but includes lots of other fantastic material too, plus great notes) and the regret the "I'm Your Man" b-side (which I actually haven't heard, but have always wanted to) has been orphaned. In fact, this set would have been a great place to include both sides of the Lowe single, particularly since the inclusion of "Oh" undermines any argument that it's not "chronologically correct." I definitely love the a-side (in my opinion, the best reason to buy Spurts).

pobbard and Hep Alien like this.
  14. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

The band was better once they nabbed Fred Smith from Blondie. He was(is) a much better bass player then Hell, and he and Ficca made up a rhythm section that was really the secret weapon of that band, especially live.

Maggie, Hep Alien, Michael D and 2 others like this.
  15. DeeThomaz

Based on how this is phrased in the press release, I'm unclear WHICH version of "Down At The Rock And Roll Club" is included on the upcoming set: "Produced for release by Richard Hell, the album has been expertly remastered—by Greg Calbi of Sterling Sound, who mastered the original LP—as well as restored to its original 1977 track listing and sleeve imagery."

After all, simply dropping the bonus tracks "I'm Your Man" and "All The Way" could be said to be "restored to its original track listing." The song titles are all the same and in the same order. But I think the spirit of the comment implies the original LP version of the song. And I'm going to be very annoyed if it turns out not to be the case.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  16. DeeThomaz

I'll be waiting in line. I was already going to do it anyways to nab a Tori Amos set as a X-mas gift for my wife. But I am comforted it's not being marked as an RSD exclusive, in case things don't work out.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    Hep Alien likes this.
  17. DeeThomaz

Exactly. I can understand the logic of presenting the original album in it's vintage form on disc 1. But why not just move the CD bonus tracks onto disc 2? Especially when the disc is clearly not approaching full capacity (assuming we're not getting unexpectedly long jam versions of the songs!).

pobbard likes this.
  18. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Weren't they first known as The Neon Boys or something around '72 or '73 and then became Television?

19. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Yup. Before Richard Lloyd.

20. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

There is allegedly a 2013 remaster of Spurts.
    New 2013 remaster of Richard Hell's SPURTS compilation - no compression!

I'm not sure if the CD mentioned in that thread ever surfaced, but it can be purchased in FLAC if you're feeling adventurous.
    Spurts: The Richard Hell Story (... | Richard Hell | MP3 Downloads | 7digital United States

Hep Alien and DeeThomaz like this.
  21. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

That's what I thought. Cool. I do have a book on them called Sonic Transmissions, I was just checking the memory bank. Lloyd I think has quit or retired since, but they haven't been that active. According to google/wiki, the last time they did anything was in 2011 and supposedly a new album was in the works, but seems like Verlaine and co. have dropped off the radar. I'd love to see a documentary done on them, I think it'd be really great.

22. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

One of the better exits in rock 'n' roll. I love Hell and have my own Blank Generation original pressing, but musically, the band wouldn't have come close to its heights with him on bass.

(Then again, I'm a Richard Lloyd fan, and Lloyd and Hell seem to have similarly low opinions of each other.)

art likes this.
  23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

If I can get this in the UK on vinyl, count me in! I don't have this album and have intended to get it for a long time. I only have the Stiff 3 track 45 of Another World, Blank Generation & You Gotta Lose by Richard Hell, which I like a lot. A scarce single with a numbered picture sleeve.

24. DeeThomaz

25. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Completely different personalities. Lloyd has always given Hell credit for his songwriting abilities, at least when he was writing with Verlaine. He just didn't like the whole nasty, put down attitudes that Hell and Verlaine embraced. But of course, those guys had a long history together and that might've had something to do with it, too.

Eric Weinraub and Hep Alien like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.