Richard Hell & The Voidoids: Blank Generation Deluxe Edition (2CD & 2LP)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Oct 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm definitely going to burn my own Disc 2 that includes the rest of the Ork single and the CD bonus tracks. Just saying.

pobbard and Hep Alien like this.
  2. DeeThomaz

I'm going to nitpick this set until it gets released, but hard to overstate how excited I am for it. I guess that's how I show my love.

art, SteveFff and TheLoveDrags like this.
  3. DeeThomaz

Is there a Richard Hell sessionography out there? I suspect not, but would be delighted to learn otherwise.

SteveFff and Hep Alien like this.
  4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Thanks very much for that! Somehow I missed that thread last year! I will be ordering these FLACS tonight and throwing that CD into the trash!

I see that ORK compilation is also available on 7digital for a reasonable price. Of course I would be missing out on the liner notes and book, but since I don't have the space for CDs anymore I rip everything to an external drive anyway.

Perhaps there were licensing issues with RADAR with putting Replaceable Head and I'm Your Man on this new re-issue?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    Hep Alien likes this.
  5. stereoptic

Looking at the 7digital page, I see these copyrights:
    Also, give a listen to the sample on the 7digital page for The Kid with the Replaceable Head. It sounds like a needledrop. There is a slight click a few seconds in; I just checked my CD and that click is not there. The other samples sound decent. I did a quick comparison and the FLACS samples do sound less compressed.

Heh, I just noticed that it was my review (Donald J.) in amazon that labeled the original release as BRICKWALLED. :hide: I'm a little embarrassed as using that term was a bit of anti-hyperbole.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  6. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

The Ork Records book is amazing, though. Hardcover, detailed, etc. Just sayin'.

SteveFff, Michael D, ralphb and 3 others like this.
  7. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

So true. This was a great opportunity to gather everything released/recorded around this time period and put it all in one package. That said, I'll still get it of course; Hell had a small recorded output but an extraordinarily high quality level (imo) that even the scraps are good to have.

Hep Alien and DeeThomaz like this.
  8. DeeThomaz

Ok, this is my first draft at a document to make sense of the album. Mostly derived from Clinton Heylin's book. I welcome corrections, please provide them.

Electric Lady Studios: March 1977

Plaza Sound Studio sessions: June 1977

Blank Generation: Original LP

1 Love Comes In Spurts [Plaza Sound Studios]

2 Liars Beware [Electric Lady Studios]

3 New Pleasure [Electric Lady Studios]

4 Betrayal Takes Two [Plaza Sound Studios]

5 Down At The Rock And Roll Club [Electric Lady Studios]

6 Who Says? [Plaza Sound Studios]

7 Blank Generation [Plaza Sound Studios]

8 Walking On The Water [Plaza Sound Studios]

9 The Plan [Plaza Sound Studios]

10 Another World [Electric Lady Studios]

Known Electric Lady outtakes:

I’m Your Man [1990 CD bonus track]

All The Way [1990 CD bonus track]

Love Comes In Spurts [New Wave; 1977 Sire sampler LP; 2017 Deluxe Edition]

You Gotta Lose [The Sire Machine Turns You On; 1978 Sire sampler LP; 2017 Deluxe Edition]

Blank Generation [2017 Deluxe Edition]

The Plan

Known Plaza Sound outtakes:

Down At The Rock And Roll Club [1990 CD substitution]

Who Says? [2017 Deluxe Edition]

Richard Hell: “My heart wasn’t really in the record’s re-recording and I didn't really sing as well as at Electric Lady, but we’re using most of it because the arrangements are so much better."

9. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Get a physical copy of the ORK comp, worth it for the book alone. The photos and annotation are perfect, it's a history of NYC rock'n'roll circa the seventies.

SteveFff, sberger, Hep Alien and 4 others like this.
  10. DeeThomaz

You might have been the guy who egged him into the right direction.

TheLoveDrags likes this.
  11. stereoptic

Heh, I guess that means that someone has finally listened to me! :)
    I'll download the remaster this weekend and update my 'review'.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  12. stereoptic

Thanks, I was looking for someone to twist my arm. :winkgrin: I found a slightly used copy on the amazonie.

DeeThomaz and ralphb like this.
  13. reese III

reese III New Member

Disappointed to see the exclusion of All the Way, I'm Your Man, & other version of Down at the Rock and Roll club.
    Zen Mango wondered what would have happened if Verlaine and Hell remained together. I have a tape of Televison with Hell in the band recorded @ cbgb in 1975. I offered it to Richard around 2008. At that time he basically said, " he was still too bitter about how he was edged out of the band", and declined the offer.

ramdom, Hep Alien and DeeThomaz like this.
  14. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I honestly think that if Hell and Verlaine had continued to play with each other they would've killed each other. In a scene full of ego maniacs, these two were at the top of the heap.

15. DeeThomaz

Glad that didn't happen.

16. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

The rehearsals in Terry Ork's loft circa 1974 are priceless.

zphage, Dudley Morris, TeddyB and 2 others like this.
  17. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Disappointed by the track list. I'll wait and hear how the mastering is before deciding to buy.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  18. DeeThomaz

Still not clear why this is advertised as a "limited edition," except for cynical reasons. Given the production costs, I can understand this with vinyl. But it doesn't make sense for the CD set, does it?

Maybe it does. I mean, I'll be lining up very early at my local record store (though, as I said, I would have been there otherwise to nab the Tori Amos set for my wife). But I think they could present this set in a more fan-friendly way and still succeed with it. Who knows?

19. DeeThomaz

I don't KNOW this. But I mostly put that down on Richard. It seems to me that he is very miserly with his archival material.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    rnranimal likes this.
  20. DeeThomaz

Did you get around to this?

21. DeeThomaz

I don't know from the announcements for this set WHICH version of "Down at the Rock and Roll Club" we'll be getting. I THINK it'll be the original LP take, but absolutely not confident

Wish he took you up on that offer. Would love to hear that tape someday. I gave him a CD once, too (the Elvis Costello Live Stiffs tape where EC played "Love Comes In Spurts"). He seemed baffled. But I'm pretty sure he was in the audience for that particular show. Then again, when strangers hand you things, it's not always clear how you should react.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  22. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I know this wasn't directed at me but here's what I posted in another thread:

Has anyone checked these out yet - lossy or lossless?

I just loaded Generation and Spurts from the official youtube channel, which has these labeled as the 2013 remasters and I really hope the downloads aren't like this. Tons of actual clipping. Blank Generation is even a little louder than the CD. Spurts is an improvement, but still quite loud with plenty of compression and limiting and even actual clipping. I'm hoping this is just how these youtube uploads are.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  23. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

I first tried downloading the lossy files from Amazon they listed as the 2013 remaster. Loud and compressed. I actually requested a refund and informed them that the artist was under the impression that newer files had been provided. Then I ordered the press on demand CD-R. It’s louder and more compressed than the original issue! Very disappointing.

rnranimal likes this.
  24. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Anyone know where to order the 40th cd and vinyl from? Only Spin list it in the UK and I really don't want to deal with them ever again.

25. stereoptic

Heh, yeah I did download them. Although I didn't do a full A/B for each tune, overall the new download is less harsh. A few tunes sound louder than the CD but not as compressed. Replaceable Head sounds like a needledrop IIRC. IOW, not much of an improvement overall compared to the original CD of Spurts.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.