Richard Hell & The Voidoids: Blank Generation Deluxe Edition (2CD & 2LP)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Oct 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. DeeThomaz

I snagged my copy this morning (the CD set). I won't be able to listen to it until late tonight at the earliest, but I thought I'd let folks know that the notes confirm that "Down at the Rock 'n' Roll Club" is the original LP version, not the later CD substitution. It seemed likely that would be the case, but stranger things have happened.

In my quick glance thru the notes, I didn't see anything to indicate whether "Love Comes In Spurts" and/or "You Gotta Lose" alternates on the bonus disc are the same takes heard on the two Sire sampler LPs. As I've never heard those recordings, I won't be able to confirm it when I finally get to listen to this set. Hopefully a more knowledgeable fan will chime in on that point.

3. DeeThomaz

My record store included a couple bonus items with purchase of the Richard Hell set: a small "we belong to the blank generation" button and a fold-out poster promoting the deluxe edition.

4. sluggobeast

sluggobeast Forum Resident

Listening to the remastered original album on vinyl and sounds pretty damn good. Perhaps a bit bright (?) but fantastic clarity. And I’ve listened to my original pressing countless times. Saw the band a whole bunch of times way back when. Should note that I picked up a vinyl reissue some 10-12 years ago and had to unload it, sounded like crap.

panasoffkee and DeeThomaz like this.
  5. mretrain

mretrain Forum Resident

You Gotta Lose is the same one according to the notes; suggests a different take for Love... but isn't entirely clear - I haven't listened to it yet either...

Great booklet though!

Hep Alien and DeeThomaz like this.
  6. DeeThomaz

Great catch! And yeah, the booklet seems fantastic. Can't wait to get a chance to read it more carefully.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  7. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

What's the title of the LP with an alternate Spurts?

8. DeeThomaz

Apparently it's just called New Wave. Not terribly distinct. Beyond that, all I know it's a Sire LP released in 1977.

EDIT: Is this it? Many of the artists are from the Sire label, but it's a Vertigo release. Were they related labels? Exposing my ignorance here.

Various - New Wave

rnranimal likes this.
  9. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

I hope that the CD reissue of Blank Generation is still on track for a "normal" release. I have to work today, and of all the stores I called, only Lou's Records got a single copy in. They had 30 customers in line waiting to purchase Black Friday items, so I don't really like the chances of its remaining in stock by the time I get there.

La vie, c'est la vie, but really...

art likes this.
  10. DeeThomaz

Richard is doing a signing at Rough Trade in Brooklyn tomorrow. If you can't snag a copy today, maybe you can order a copy from them (I'd suggest calling, it may not go onto their site)? I have to imagine they'll receive a healthy stock to support the event. The record store I visited only received 3 of the CD version.

brianvargo likes this.
  11. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I'm really not sure. According to discogs, the only other comp with Spurts is on RCA. Was it definitely Spurts that was alternate? There was also a double 7" Sire sampler called New Wave, but no Spurts. Has Blank Generation and Betrayal.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  12. DeeThomaz

All I know is what I read in the Heylin book. He identifies the alternate "Love Comes In Spurts" there.

Edit: just rechecked to make sure my memory was accurate on this. Yep.

rnranimal likes this.
  13. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Awesome one of my fave LPs. I couldn't understand why Hell changed the cover an substituted tracks on the CD. Maybe he realised he looked too drugged on the sleeve.

14. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Me neither, it's a classic album cover.

15. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

This is a thread dedicated to appreciation/questions/reviews/criticisms of the reissue of Blank Generation released today, 11/24/2017 as part of RSD.

For my part, I am very happy. The remastered reissue of the original is a serious improvement on the original. The bonus material is better sounding than I expected. The wailing by Robert Quine is always appreciated :)

pobbard, baconbadge and art like this.
  16. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Rough Trade's website says you can start ordering this tomorrow (Saturday) at 8 a.m. But be warned they started selling this in-store today, and they said whatever was leftover would be the entire stock used for online sales. Since you have to get a ticket for the signing tomorrow, I'm guessing people who bought the album for that signing have already been accounted for.

Bummed I won't be around for any of the Richard Hell signings, but I snagged this at Newbury, and the store I went to had a 40% off sale on CD's. (Apparently just that store, not the entire chain.) So I got the two CD version for real cheap (I think $11 or 12 - I threw away the receipt already), much less than what it would've cost elsewhere.

fldveloce likes this.
  17. bad_penny

bad_penny Forum Resident

I thought that Rough Trade and Generation Records would receive the lion's share of this release but RT didn't have a ton of copies.

18. art

art Senior Member

I dig the reissue. Got the CDs. Best it has sounded.

NOS300B and baconbadge like this.
  19. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

There's an existing thread that is not derailed....it's not like this is a "Beatles" topic....no real need need for multiple threads on this one.

20. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

agreed. GORT please close this thread.

21. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Not so, not so....Sgt. Pepper only had nine concurrent threads and so can this one!
    Topics we can discuss...
    Did Bernard Purdie re-do all of Marc Bell's drum tracks on 'Blank Generation'?
    Who is a better producer Richard Gotteher or George Martin?
    Who is a better musical influence Stockhausen or Rimbuad?
    What if Richard Hell and Tom Verlaine made up?
    Did Paul McCartney play all of Robert Quines's guitar parts?
    Were Richard's safety pins more influential than The Beatles' epilats?
    Patti Smith? Tom Verlaine? Richard Hell? vs. Harry Nilsson? Mary Hopkin? Joan Baez?
    What's better- Paul's abstract paintings or Richard's poetry?
    DR values? Let's compare! MX values? Let's discuss!
    Which sounds better the mono or stereo 'Blank Generation'?
    I'm sure there's more....

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    Hep Alien, Echo, kellys and 1 other person like this.
  22. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

My friend went to Rough Trade and picked up a copy of the CD for me.

I wish I could've gone there tomorrow for the autograph session, but can't.

23. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

..What is YOUR optimal playing order of Blank Generation?
    ..Paul McCartney best songs inspired by Blank Generation?
    ..John Lennon early influences from Richard Hell?

Hep Alien and The Elephant Man like this.
  24. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Is Tom dead? Play "Another World" backwards....
    Did Richard really eat Tom's breakfast leftovers at that cafe in soho in 1975?
    Did Tom dub in that one flubbed bass note in the Eno sessions?

and no....it was Quine that played McCartney's parts - his addiction problems all stemmed from having to restrain his natural talents to simplify things down to Paul's level.

Yes, tongue very firmly in cheek lest anyone have doubts!

pobbard and The Elephant Man like this.
  25. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

..If Love Came In Waves, do you think that RH and Voidoids would've still had a hit with it?

The Elephant Man likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.