Richard Thompson New Album Sept 14 /13 Rivers

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerryb, Jul 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

I still remember the first time I saw him at Cropredy. 1990 I think. Halfway through his set my friend turned to me and asked,

"Where is the other guitarist??"

2. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

I would think so. 2014's Acoustic Classics is the only regular studio album I can think of that didn't get a vinyl release.

3. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

superstar19 likes this.
  4. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

That's what I thought first time I saw him (1990). I've been fortunate enough to see him a dozen times over the years, but wish it were more!

5. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I'd like to get some more information on the recording, if possible. If the album was recorded or mixed digitally, I don't see the point (personally) in spending $25 for a copy on vinyl instead of $10 for a CD. I did a side-by-side of the vinyl and CD for Acoustic Classics 2 and didn't hear any difference.

6. Arie

Arie Forum Resident

"you?me?us?" wasn't released on vinyl as well.
    Same goes for "Industry" the album he did with Danny Thompson.
    But that one might not be regular enough.......

7. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Did it not say in the first or second mail analogue recording?

8. thepigdog

thepigdog Music and beer

Oh boy!

9. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

He’s played some great shows in Portland hasn’t he? The last trio date at the Aladdin was off the hook.

10. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

Sweet Warrior, but Street Warrior is a cool name too (for a Bad Company album)

SquaRoots likes this.
  11. uzn007

You're right, it does say "Tracks were recorded analog..." Thanks. I missed that the first time. Not a guarantee of 100% analog signal processing/mixing/mastering etc but encouraging.

12. Carl Steward

Carl Steward Forum Resident

And try playing that vinyl record in your car. You'd have to make a cassette of it. Of course, you'd also have to buy a cassette recorder ... and find a blank cassette.

13. Arie

Arie Forum Resident

elsewhere it reads:
    "The 13-song set is the Grammy nominated artist's first self-produced album in over a decade and was recorded 100% analogue in just ten days"
    But it's not the 100% you're/we're looking for.....

uzn007 likes this.
  14. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

So true. But you could get You? Me? Us? on cassette.:)

15. twowwheels

twowwheels Forum Resident

It was crazy good. The revolution hall show was incredible as well.

Atmospheric likes this.
  16. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Excited for the new album!

But hate the fact that the 'content' is always blocked in Canada on copyright grounds so I can never hear the sample singles. Talk about teasing...

17. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I'm not aware of New West releasing anything all analog ever.

I'd like to be very wrong about this. And of course I'll buy the vinyl anyway because I have issues...

uzn007 likes this.
  18. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

A pity about the cover artwork. I do miss the art direction of previous albums like Mock Tudor and The Old Kit Bag. 13 Rivers just kind of screams out for, oh, I don't know...an image of thirteen rivers?

As for the two tracks, they sound pretty good and "Storms" has got some of most visceral guitar lead I've heard from RT in a while. It's a funny coincidence: I've been on a big RT bender lately and wondering when he'd serve up some new material. His last proper couple (Electric, Still) were ok, but I felt they really lacked a central theme, which I think brings out the best in his writing and broadens the familiar (and well-worn) scope of women doing the male protagonist wrong/male protagonist in turmoil. In this respect, both Electric and Still - in spite of some excellent playing - seem mostly aimless and RT for the sake of RT. Especially in the case of Electric, which I felt was a hugely wasted opportunity with one of my favourite producers at the helm (Buddy Miller). If only the material and arrangement had been a bit stronger. As much as I love Jeff Tweedy (huge Wilco fan) his hands-off approach to production is more miss than hit, and I've felt his work with RT and last year's s/t Joan Shelley production left things feeling a bit listless and dragging.

Whilst new RT is always worth checking out, I'd dearly love to hear a well-realised covers album or something with a strong theme holding everything together.

19. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

This certainly sounds more thematic as an album. And while RT covers are great...a proper album of covers would be a waste. While any creative juices remain, let the man write. A standard RT album is still better than most!

Then again, I thought Electric was a solid offering.

uzn007, mrjinks and Jerryb like this.
  20. uzn007

Pre-ordered mine at my local record store yesterday.

21. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

It worked out well since I wanted the CD and fellow member bill cormier wanted the vinyl. I preordered the CD vinyl hat bundle.

22. uzn007

WHO GETS THE HAT? DON'T LEAVE US HANGING BRO! :D

Graham, mrjinks, Subvet and 1 other person like this.
  23. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

That would be me. :wave:

uzn007 likes this.
  24. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I'm not sure there is a best, because that guitarist would have to be the best in virtually all styles. Yet, having seen him play acoustic and electric up close (and of course listening to recordings over the years, though few seem to really capture his playing because he seems more interested in songs than showing off) I can say he completely commands the fretboard, tonal effects, and his right hand is as agile as his left. Seemingly he can play whatever he wants and since he's an imaginative guy he often roars off into the realm of the incomprehensible.

I keep waiting for him to make that record....

25. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

uzn007 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.