Richmond Fontaine - The High Country - Superb New Americana .

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Doctorwu, Sep 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member Thread Starter

Surprised no one commented on the superb new album by Richmond Fontaine.

Set like a short novella with with some snatch dialog between songs (perhaps a little too much of it if i have to be honest..), the high country is a fascinating record.
    There are the usual introspective ballads but also some excellent hard rocking tunes and epic ennio morricone like cuts, check out the stunning "On a spree"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_gosgmBvZ4

2. Davey

Davey NP: Brian Eno ~ Ambient 4: On Land (1982 LP)

Yea, great record, might wind up my favorite of the year. You can order it through their bandcamp site and get a nice thank you email. I ordered the CD for $12 and got an immediate flac download. Comes in a nice quality digipak. I've made a couple comments on it but didn't bother to start a thread ...

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?p=6869569#post6869569

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?p=6937589#post6937589

BTW, if you haven't heard it, there's a very nice 2009 live recording out there from a little intimate UK show that sounds great. Highly recommended ...

[​IMG]

3. Doctorwu

Thanks for the comments davey, the more i listen to the record the more i like it, i'll definitely order the vinyl once it comes out preferably through their site :righton:

4. Davey

Supposedly the vinyl has been out for a couple weeks, but who knows. If you do get it post some comments. I thought about splurging for the vinyl too, but it's from Diverse in the UK and so is pretty expensive here in the US, over $32 at Amazon. Should be some better deals at the indies, though. Same deal with the last one, which was also very good if you like the style they've adopted on the last few records, kinda laid back and literate, with a couple rockers to mix it up. The CD is a bit loud, as was the MP3, but not too bad. Still sounds OK. Vinyl would probably sound nice. Great band and amazing record. John Askew produced this one and gives it some of that noir-esque sound he brought to that great Tracker record of his own, Polk. That Live Farndale, UK (11th Sept 2009) show I mentioned is some good stuff. Cool banter between Willy and the audience, and well miked so you are kind of up front in the audience. Still have "Two Alone" linked on my SotD page in signature.

5. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I must get this one, these guys helped me get through the Uncle Tupelo break-up.

6. eelkiller

I have never seen that one listed, do you have a link for us to purchase it?

7. Davey

8. Doctorwu

I Did wonder why the vinyl was so expensive and i thought it was only on pre order status, i'll have to check diverse site (ordered from there in the past), thanks for tip, actually it's better for me because shipping to israel from the UK is fast and relatively cheap, will post a comment on quality once i order it next month.
    I love the last couple of records but 13 cities is still my favorite and indeed kudos for jon askew for production, he nailed it, "on a spree" and "the escape" are my favorites and great examples of his production skills.
    I'll definitly check out the live CD, i saw them live once and they were great.
    Thanks! :thumbsup:

9. Doctorwu

You'll love it.

10. eelkiller

:laugh: C'mon I know you can do it.

I really want the CD version ;)

Physical product rules.

11. Davey

Check again

12. eelkiller

Merci

FWIW CD Bay still have the earlier Live at the Doug Fir Lounge CD. I think it is OOP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.