Rick Wakeman Deluxe Editions (Feb 2015)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Dec 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. dachada

dachada Senior Member

Also will be available on Vinyl. Wakeman, in his Aug 2014 GORR, described the remastering of these two: "I have heard the new digital mastering for both the Six Wives and King Arthur which have been done by Universal and they are truly outstanding. Far and away the best re-mastering I have ever heard from 1970s albums."

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  3. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, but what will be on it. ;)

4. dachada

dachada Senior Member

My guess is the DVD could have the Quad MIX :help:

scobb, Larry Geller and Driver 8 like this.
  5. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Like these 2 albums a lot so I'm probably in for both.

6. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

An A&M Years box set is on its way too !

7. Witney Devil

Witney Devil Well-Known Member

I had an e-mail from a shop this morning confirming this

8. Witney Devil

Witney Devil Well-Known Member

"My guess is the DVD could have the Quad MIX"

I had an e-mail from a shop this morning confirming this

9. downer

downer Senior Member

10. Maurice Bursztynski

Maurice Bursztynski Drummer, Singer, Podcaster.

Would love to see Criminal Record and White Rock also get the treatment. Great music and great sounding records.

11. italianprog

italianprog Forum Resident

12. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

The Super Deluxe Editions website says the sets are going to include the original quad mixes.
    Also, Neil Wilkes confirms on the same site that the DVDs are DVD-A so they will include both the quad and stereo mixes in lossless 24/96. For those who have no DVD-A playback capability, there are DTS and AC3 alternatives too.

Great news indeed.

reapers likes this.
  13. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

I've dreamed of these for several years now ! Love Criminal Record that was already released.
    I will definitely get these. But I'll still have to wait for the original Journey to the Center of the Earth.
    That not only would be nice as remaster with the quad, but it could use a remix. Perhaps with digital
    editing, we can get reparations done to the original full verses of 'The Battle'. I can dream, right ?

simon-wagstaff likes this.
  14. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I preordered these on spec. Looks as though they might prove a worthwhile purchase.

I agree, though, that Criminal Record would be the real prize.

15. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Why? The quad mix could be the best quad mix ever released. Why the hell are they not releasing Journey (Rick's best LP, by far) anyway? Because it's not a "studio album"?

ponkine likes this.
  16. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

The remastering for these has been done by Andrew Walter at the Abbey Road. I really hope they sound good.

17. boggs

To clarify, JOURNEY is fantastic. I will take it anyway I can get it remastered.
    I may have misspoke about the 'remix', although a remix may help to bring forward
    some of the orchestral parts that seem lost when comparing other live JOURNEY recordings. My original point was to be that
    perhaps now with digital editing, there may be a way to repair the chorus on 'The Battle' that couldn't be
    salvaged upon original release.

18. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

There must be even more than that. Wasn't it originally supposed to be a 2-LP set, only reduced to a single record due to the vinyl shortage?

19. boggs

Interesting. Never heard that, but WOW. Would love to hear more! It would be great if more could be included on the release.

20. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

So does this mean there is no Quad or stereo mix on the DVD besides DTS and AC3? I had hoped there would either be a DD Quad mix that would play on a standard DVD Video player(which of course the DVD player would downmix to stereo). I don't have DTS or AC3 options and don't want to get the 2 disc versions if I can't play the DVD on my DVD video player. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Scott B

21. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Quad mixes ??!! What do you play that with ?! A vintage quad amp ?! Gimme a break !!

22. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

The extra music was recorded for the re-recorded version that came out last year. As the original record was a live recording and there are several shows in circulation (official and otherwise) that only include (at least as far as Journey goes) what was on the album it seems unlikely the extra music made it past the writing and rehearsal stage at the time.

23. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

AC3 surround means DD surround, so you will be able to decode the quad mix using your DVD video player. The lossless high-resolusion stereo files will probably be LPCM like on other similar releases so if your player or AVR is capable of playing 24 bit 96 kHz audio files, you will be able to play the lossless high-res stereo files too.
    Have you got any of the recent YES 2-disc re-releases? It seems that the Wakeman re-releases will be very similar in format.

24. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

That's great news. Yes I have the 3 SW YES titles and can player the 24/96 files. So I understand correctly I should be able to play the quad mix which my DVD player will down mix to 2 channel and I should be able to play the lossless Hi-Rez stereo as well?
    Do you know if there will be a discrete stereo mix in Hi-rez on the DVD. I thought for some reason that the DVD would just contain the Quad mix.

Thanks again for your help as I don't want to get these and then not be able to play the DVD since they are about double the price of the stand alone CD only release.

Scott B

25. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

Why would you want to play the quad mix if you downmix it to 2 channel?
    Yes, there will be a high-res stereo mix of the albums on the dvds respectively.
    Read Neil Wilkes' comment on this page.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.