Ride - New album Summer 2017, first new song out now

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dudley Morris, Feb 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dudley Morris

Dudley Morris Resident Thread Starter

This just in from those hipsters at Pitchfork: "As promised, shoegaze pioneers Ride will release a new album this year. Today, they’ve revealed that it is due out this summer via Wichita Recordings. The record is mixed by Alan Moulder (who mixed Nowhere and produced Going Blank Again), and produced by DJ Erol Alkan. They have also shared the first offering from the LP—marking their first new song in over 20 years." More at the link:

Listen to Ride’s First New Song in 20 Years, “Charm Assault” | Pitchfork

The new track isn't blowing me away, but it's good and sounds like it could be a grower...

2. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

Oh man, I'm dying to hear this. I'll check it out tonight.

3. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Forum Resident

I like it! Thanks!

The Pitchfork article (which includes European tour dates) includes a link to a 2011 interview with Andy Bell in their 5-10-15-20 series, where artists talk about the landmark albums in their lives at 5-year intervals. There's a lot of fun stuff, going back to him falling in love with A Hard Day's Night as a 5 year old (he says that "Tell Me Why" made him feel like a superhero), and some nifty insights on the 90s in particular, where he became part of the scene he's commenting on. Good stuff!

AJK74 likes this.
  4. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Very under-whelmed on first listen. Sounds very light-weight. Maybe will need a few listens.

Pity when, by comparison, the new Slowdive song is such as monster.

5. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I like the song. The guitars are instantly catchy.

Paully likes this.
  6. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

It doesn't have the teeth of Creation-era Ride, let alone those first two blazing albums. Of course, Andy did spend years in the depleted form of Oasis, and that may well have smothered his desire to turn it up and let loose.

7. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Not bad, better than anything on Tarantula.

Is that setting the bar too low???

8. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

I'm interested in hearing more of it.
    Once it drops into the verse from the intro, it almost sounds like Diiv. The chorus doesn't, just the general vibe of the guitars and drums during the verses.

Paully and BadJack like this.
  9. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this - doesn't hit me like the first two albums, but once it gets past the intro, reminds me a bit of The Chameleons.

10. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I got the Diiv vibe, too.

I like the song.

11. AJK74

AJK74 Forum Resident

I quite like it, very indie (what else?)

12. Dudley Morris

...and another new song drops. Can't listen to it properly or fully right now, but it sounds a bit spacey and mellow. Like they're getting their Floyd on or something...

13. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I like the new one too. I'm beginning to think that this may be a pretty good album.

Dudley Morris and AJK74 like this.
  14. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

Lush, Slowdive and Ride all releasing new material. Its like 1991 and im in the Camden Underworld all over again :)

15. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Not bad. It's definitely a grower and way better than I was expecting. If only they'd gone this route after Going Blank Again....better late than never.

I seriously hope they come down here at one point..unlikely, but I can dream!

16. debased

debased Senior Member

I'm hearing Donovan's Atlantis.

17. Dudley Morris

If Chapterhouse decide to get in on this and MBV finally put out something new, I'm quitting my job and heading back to uni. :)

Rupe33, jamesc and BeardedSteven like this.
  18. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

RIDE - small east coast tour......on sale Friday 10:00AM

7/17 - Massey Hall - Toronto, ON
    7/19 - Royale - Boston, MA
    7/20 - Terminal 5 - New York, NY :hurl:
    7/22 - Theater of Living Arts - Philadelphia, PA
    7/23 - Sixth & I - Washington, DC

Jet Age Eric, Rupe33, BadJack and 2 others like this.
  19. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Massey Hall - not sure I'll even try for tickets. I like the venue's acoustics and it's great for a Tori Amos show or Bela Fleck and the Flecktones...but I've seen bands like Jane's Addiction there (twice actually) that make me want to dance and the seating is so constrictive.

Saw Ride at Danforth Music Hall last year, much better venue for an act like this (and caught Slowdive there recently too).

Hmm, may consider it if the front couple rows are priced the same as the 20th row as then you can get right up to the stage. Harder to do outisde of the first couple rows.

20. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I'm dumbfounded as to why Ride and Slowdive have teased us with singles and are holding back on album announcements. The buzz from the Slowdive single has already faded.

Paully and BeardedSteven like this.
  21. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I still want the live Slowdive album that was teased...

22. It may be lightweight for old fans like myself, but I wouldn't mind if they get new fans.

23. BawBag

BawBag Forum Resident

That first song is making me think of 'Chant of the Ever Circling Skeletal Family'

24. Dudley Morris

I'm cheesed that they're only going to frigging TO again. Why not a gig in Montréal at some place like Metropolis or Olympia? I could make that trip, but TO is too much of a PITA for me here in the nation's capital.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  25. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

For DC, Sixth and I is an... unusual venue for a LOUD show like this. It's seated, and home to more book events and quiet shows. Rodriguez played there and - by example - Kronos Quartet is booked coming up. Not sure RIDE's lighting rig would even fit in said venue.
    #puzzled

Jet Age Eric likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.