Ridley Scott's Alien (1979)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mj_patrick, Jun 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

So you dislike Cartwright because she reminds you too much of yourself, right? ;)

2. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

She may have been ok in this film,but no way could she have done the sequels Ripley.

barnaby likes this.
  3. Well it's what she was cast doing after "Alien" (not counting "The Birds") you need to check her out in "The X-Files" where she did a terrific job among other projects.

Plan9 likes this.
  4. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

She had a very short but quite funny appearance at the beginning of one of the Scary movies.

5. Hard to say. We didn't see her range as an actress in "Alien" or "Invasion of the Body Snatchers". She was exceptional in the TV show "Bosch", "Six Feet Under", "Tanner '88", and the movies "The Children's Hour" among others.

6. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Hey, I may be whimpering and helpless, but.... uh.... what was that 3rd thing you called me? :p

BZync and Solaris like this.
  7. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Yeah, I saw her performance in those X-Files episodes.... she wasn't as much of a whiny crybaby as usual, but there's still something about her that kind of annoys me. :p

8. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I'm just surprised Cartwright didn't vomit cherries over the Alien.

9. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Yes im glad you did..... I have alien on the first magnetic video release (1980) and I love it...

Alien 2 is good also........ (Alien 3 is OK I guess.... A nice ending to the movie)

10. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I never noticed til last night when watching it again of the Alien dangling above Brett on the chains just before lowering himself down.......and I must have seen it 20 times......But I was watching the extended version.
    Was that clip left out of the theatrical?

LEONPROFF likes this.
  11. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Yeah, that was added back in in the 2003 version.

LEONPROFF and Quadboy like this.
  12. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Right.............as Brett would say.

LEONPROFF, vyteniss and Leviethan like this.
  13. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Me too! It also opened in the U.S. exactly one year after Keith Moon's last gig with The Who.

14. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

That's probably because there are always real monsters among us and there's no telling when they might strike. I remember walking into the theater to see this with my siblings but strangely enough, I don't have a vivid memory of viewing it. Maybe I blocked it out back then.

EddieVanHalen likes this.
  15. Which version were you watching? As I recall in the theatrical cut that particular shot was t in the movie but was in the director's cut.

16. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Yes the director's cut.

17. It wasn't in the theatrical cut.

18. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Not a fan of Ridley Scott's work in general but this film is still brilliant. Proper suspenseful and nail-bitingly scary. Working my way through the quadrilogy box set this last week. Aliens and Alien 3 are weak in comparison.

Tokyo Ghost and Solaris like this.
  19. NightGoatToCairo

Oh, just finished Alien Resurrection... :laugh:

Alien 5/5
    Aliens 2/5
    Alien 3 2/5
    Alien Resurrection 1/5

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

:eek: :wtf:

Heavy Music likes this.
  21. As much as I love the original Alien, I got to disagree. Cameron was brilliant in taking the series in a different direction and, by doing so, created the only film in the series worthy of the original although the much maligned Prometheus and Alien Covenant tried, to varying degrees, to also go on different directions with 8nterrsting takes. They are flawed but have their moments. Scott has never been a great narrative storyteller but visually, he remains so interesting. I'd also note that I am a fan of Scott's work but also recognize his many flaws.

22. NightGoatToCairo

I'm less of a Cameron fan than of Ridley Scott. That said, Aliens is one of his lesser films, IMO. The characters and dialogue are so cheesy and cliché ridden, it's takes away from any drama or tension that may have been present. I think that's indicative of his style and the major reason I don't like his stuff.

23. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I agree that Alien is a masterpiece and by far the best of the series. I used to hold Aliens in higher esteem, but it has revealed itself as a weak film. The Alien Queen is very cool, and the fight at the end against the Alien Queen is great, but it can be a chore to get to that point. Prometheus is my second favorite of the series, and Alien Covenant would have been much better if they had continued where Prometheus left off. Oh well.

24. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Aliens felt fresh and exciting at the time, but I don't think it's aging as well as the original Alien.

The Hud likes this.
  25. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

The Alien series is my favorite series. Alien is a great horror movie. Aliens is a great action movie. Alien 3 is more akin to the original but feels new with using the aliens perspective and great performances all around and good dialogue. Resurrection doesn’t feel like any of the others, is more humor based and gives Sigourney a bit of a different character. Didn’t really care for Prometheus on the initial viewing but it has really grown on me since.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.