Ridley Scott's Prometheus (2012) - Alien prequel ... (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'd like to hear you encapsulate the big differences. I'm afraid I won't have time to read the script.

Vidiot and BeatleJWOL like this.
  2. Idler

Idler Active Member

Sorry don't have time.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  3. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

:laughup:

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  4. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I finally saw this for a second time. It did improve on repeated viewing as some things I thought didn't make sense are explained (like the point above), maybe not fully, but at least better to a small degree. The script is subtler in some ways than I think people give it credit for, but it also is incredibly lame in other ways that people are blasting it for. I don't think it would have taken that much work to improve it significantly.

John K.

5. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

Agreed...I love it too, it was a fun ride.

6. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Vidiot likes this.
  7. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Good news. As much as I enjoyed Prometheus, the lapses in writing are its major weaknesses and I'll be happy to see what a breath of fresh air will do for the sequel.

8. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Yeah I can imagine his great idea for the next movie would have been....green goo!

9. Vidiot likes this.
  10. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

I've seen this movie three times now - I enjoyed it.

Why?

* I've always been interested in the "alien astronaut" theory and I suspect Mr. Scott used the Alien storyline to present his own thoughts on the subject. I noticed that he is also one of the producers for the movie so it looks like he had the ability to do this despite any (possible) grumbling from Twentieth Century Fox.

* I do like the first and second Alien movies (but after that.......meh) but am glad Scott decided to film this story - there are plenty of alien horror movies but imo few quality alternative origin-of-humanity stories.

* beautiful visuals

And it definitely has its faults...........

* as mentioned already, most characters are barely developed & rather 2 dimensional, but I suspect this may have been intentional: my theory concerning this is that Scott wanted the viewers to concentrate on the story of the Engineers rather than the people i.e. the actors telling the story.

* lots of unanswered questions! But again, I think Scott deliberately did that to encourage viewers to think more deeply about the main story of the movie, whether that was via online discussions, repeated viewings of the movie or just while driving home from the theater, or initially in my case, three buddies arguing about it in a living room. :)

* this is rather trivial, but I wish the soundtrack music had been more interesting. Such a grand subject being discussed and except for the repeated playing of a "hopeful" piece of music, I thought there was little to fully back up what was happening on-screen.

* the Alien portion of the story felt really tacked-on to me and repeatedly jarred me out of the Engineer story. So I wish this had been a standalone movie, separate from the Alien franchise.

Random observations........

* the front of the Engineer's U-shaped starship was not the two "prongs" of the ship! ---> when the ship is moving away from the viewer in one part of the movie, the prongs are clearly following as an intense burst of light appears between them, presumably its sublight drive exhaust and/or FTL drive system.

* near the beginning of the movie, I enjoyed that long shot (is that the correct term?) of the Prometheus traveling across space towards LV-223. I think it gives a sense of speed but also how small the ship is vs. the universe; same idea with the shot of the same ship when it enters orbit around LV-223.

* I had no problem with the c-section scene - this is after all a science FICTION story and who knows how far our medical technology will advance in 76 years?

* some of the deleted scenes (on the Blu-ray version?) I found on Youtube definitely clear up a few questions.

So if it wasn't obvious by now, I am really looking forward to the sequel (well, I am assuming there's going to be one based on the highly suggestive ending in Prometheus).

sound chaser and Pete Puma like this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Did we already watch this?

I really wanted to like this film, but jeezo peezo, do we need another movie with space people who have to act completely stupidly in order for the plot to work? "Hey, let's all split up and look for the escaped alien in the deepest, darkest places we can possibly find." "Hey, here's a strange-looking creature we've never seen before... let me lean over and examine it more closely." "Here's a billionaire who's 150 years old and rode on a spaceship just to have a five-minute conversation with an alien to get the meaning of life." Kill me now!

I did like the into of Prometheus with the idea that perhaps aliens tweaked life on earth a little bit to change our DNA, and I wouldn't be surprised if that might be what actually happened.

12. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

Hallmarks of a B movie.

Prometheus: The Best B Movie Ever Made.

13. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

The plot about the billionaire assembling the team was directly borrowed from Alien Vs. Predator.
    The terminally ill billionaire accompanying the team was also directly borrowed from Alien Vs. Predator.
    If you changed the alien structure they explore into a giant underground pyramid instead it would also be borrowed from AVP.

14. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

I saw Prometheus when it came out, and it bored the daylights out of me. All over the place visually but ultimately completely uninvolving and just plain dull. Being a fan of the original Alien and Aliens, I was utterly disappointed. I might revisit it at some point in the future, I guess - who knows maybe I'll warm up to it. :shrug:

15. Loved it despite its flaws.

musicalbeds and sound chaser like this.
  16. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Great movie! Looking forward to the next one.

bru87tr and musicalbeds like this.
  17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Required Predator in this film to kick sweet a....as this was a major snooze fest. Just saying.:)

18. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I can't be the only one who wishes that the Predator and Alien franchises had never come together on film. The comics were fine. But it should have been left there. Both AVP films are absolute garbage.

19. alexpop

For perversity reasons I decided to watch it again for the second time in 3D. And must admit I was more impressed with it than last January's viewing.

20. Both borrowed from Dan O'Bannon's earlier drafts of the script regarding the pyramid.

Vidiot likes this.
  21. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

How's this for high concept? "Alien vs. Godzilla vs Avengers", a Mexican standoff that efficiently resolves all those franchise sequels.

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Now there's a movie. (To hate.)

Ridley better hurry. He turns 77 this year.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

So wait. They're making a sequel to Prometheus? Well, at least the anticipation won't kill me this time.

rontoon likes this.
  24. Might kill Ridley Scott if he waits too LNG though. At 77 he has projects lined up to keep him busy until he's 90. I always enjoy the technical aspects of his films even when the film has major flaws. Having said that, I believe he's only made a handful of great movies because he often overlooks storytelling in favor of style.

geogaddi83 and rontoon like this.
  25. alexpop

Would prefer Kingdom Of Heaven 2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.