Ringo Starr "Give More Love"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abbeyrdsteve, Oct 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

We should almost have a sales-guessing contest here (although we might not hear sales numbers at all). I'd guess about 4k in the US for first week...

2. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

5k in sales, and #188 on the billboard 200. That is my guess.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  3. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

But he wants to troll now.

4. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

just listened to the album
    this is a really great album! I like it a lot, not more than Postcards From Paradise, but I think after a few listening, I'll dig it.

Wild Ram Speedway and jl151080 like this.
  5. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

It's been rumored that a confidant of Brian Epstein has been buying as many copies as he can so it charts well.

6. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Go outside and play with the traffic....

Marry a Carrot likes this.
  7. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I will guess just inside the top 40 for the UK. The no7 album this week sold 6500 copies so I can't imagine that you would have to sell many to get to say no 45.
    Given that most of his fan base will buy this in the first week of release I think this is achievable.
    Sparks landed their first top 10 album for 40 years this week in the UK so you never know....

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  8. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

There are aspects of most releases that I do not like. And when it comes to Ringo, there are several albums I don't particularly like. And as for "super fan" don't think I have ever described myself as such

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  9. I'm guess 723. :tiphat:

10. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Personally, I think the CD sounds great. I don't hold out any hope for a deluxe edition, though. That's only happened once - when Ringo was on the Koch label, and Ringorama was released as a deluxe edition in November 2003, 6 months after its original release.

MelodyFair likes this.
  11. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I picked up the CD yesterday and have listened in full 4 times so far.

I think it's great. There isn't a track I dislike, and the remakes are nice to have too. Always great to have a new Ringo album to listen to.

12. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

First listen left a good impression. 3 of the 4 "bonus" tracks were a treat as well. Amazing that guys in their 70's still sound this good. It's inspiring for those of us who are a few years behind them.

dylankicks and Bullis like this.
  13. Ringo needs to stop writing and singing about the olds days in Liverpool. I can read a book about that ****. :tiphat:

Lewisboogie, forthlin, helter and 3 others like this.
  14. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Got this today. Like it a lot. Some of the comments had me expecting something on the level of Bad Boy, but thankfully that is not the case.

15. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I've just listened to 'Postcards In Paradise' in full for the first time in quite a while. The material on 'Give More Love' is significantly stronger, IMO.

16. helter

helter Forum Resident

Are you telling me he has another song about Liverpool on this album that includes Beatle titles and phrases ?
    Please tell me your joking ?
    A 5 year old could be more creative and I love ❤️ Ringo

CrombyMouse likes this.
  17. Not Beatles titles but mentioning Rory Storm and the old days in Liverpool again.

CrombyMouse likes this.
  18. helter

helter Forum Resident

Maybe at his age he keeps forgetting he already wrote a song about that ?:rolleyes:

CrombyMouse and Lewisboogie like this.
  19. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Strange that he would return to the subject of his formative experiences.

crazywater likes this.
  20. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I haven't heard it (I quit buying Ringo releases about 30 years ago).
    But saying the new album is significantly stronger than Postcards in Paradise is like saying that one of these two "skilled fighters" is a significantly stronger brawler than the other. :D

[​IMG]

21. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

Ringo has stated that he is not going to write an autobiography. His preferred vehicle to express his feelings about his history is via his songs. Perhaps there will be a compilation someday called "My Story". I'm kind of joking, but it wouldn't surprise me either.

He always has a love song or two for Barbara on every album. I don't blame him. It's important to keep your wife happy!

22. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I can't agree, because Ringos albums over the past 25 years have been consistently good.

If you quit buying his albums 30 years ago, you've missed some truly great stuff, and one of the finest solo Beatles albums ever released.

23. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

It's a 'Liverpool song' about Johnny Guitar from Rory Storm & The Hurricanes. No Beatles titles used this time.

24. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I listened to the new album last night and was pleasantly surprised. There was not a single song I liked on Postcards, while Give More Love pretty much every track had something to like in it. I thought the production and arranging was particularly strong this time. The main weakness on this album is the lyrics. Ringo can, and has in the past along with his co-writers, come up with some clever song lyrics, particularly on Ringo Rama. Give More Love comes nowhere near the overall greatness of Ringo Rama (none of his later albums do), but it's probably the best of what he has done since then.

The remake songs are interesting. Kind of pointless since they don't top the originals, but they aren't ruined either. It would have been nice to just hear the original Back Off Boogaloo demo straight as it was on the found tape though.

Mumbojunk likes this.
  25. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Two songs in, both songs start out with some variation of "Woke up this morning..." Yikes. This isn't going well. At least track two is accurately titled. How far will I make it?

EDIT:
    Track 1 title: "We're on the Road Again.
    Track 4 begins: "I'm on the road..."

Try to have more than one idea if you're going to make an album.

I'm out for now. I'll come back to it. I swear.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.