RIP Bob Casale of DEVO

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimcdenco, Feb 18, 2014.

1. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Forum Resident

Terrible news RIP. Saw them in 1978. Love this video. Especially the end, a bit of give and take with the audience.. :D

Clanceman likes this.
  2. jsayers

jsayers Cosmic Member

All of us are getting closer, it's scary. :eek:
  3. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Forum Resident

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2014/02/bob_casale_of_new_wave_band_de.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Devo founding member and guitarist Bob Casale died of heart failure on Monday. He was 61. His brother Gerald, also a founding member of the band, reported Casale's death on a Devo Facebook page.
    "As an original member of Devo, Bob Casale was there in the trenches with me from the beginning," wrote Gerald. "He was my level-headed brother, a solid performer and talented audio engineer, always giving more than he got. He was excited about the possibility of Mark Mothersbaugh allowing Devo to play shows again. His sudden death from conditions that lead to heart failure came as a total shock to all of us."
    We reached Devo member Mark Mothersbaugh at his Mutato Muzika office in Los Angeles. He was still shaken by the news.
    "This is so sudden and tragic," said an emotional Mothersbaugh, whose brothers Bob and Jim were also founding members. "He was the nicest guy in the band. He had the best personality. He had the longest fuse. He was a problem solver."
    Mark Motherbaugh said the band had plans to tour this summer.
    "We were going to go out in June and July playing some music that was pre-first album. We called it science fiction blues. Captain Beefheart type stuff. But now I can't think of anything but Bob and his wife and two kids. His son Alex is 24, and his daughter Samantha is a couple years younger. We're all just thinking about them right now."

Mothersbaugh credited Casale, who played guitar and keyboards in the band, with helping him compose music for television and films.
    "Bob engineered my music for all the Wes Anderson films. After our third album, 'Freedom of Choice,' he became very involved in engineering our records."
    Casale was born in 1952. Two sets of brothers founded the band in 1972. The Casales were from Kent; the Mothersbaughs were from Akron. Drummer Alan Myers joined the group in 1976, replacing Jim Mothersbaugh.
    Galeans likes this.
  4. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Well-Known Member

Hasn't been a good few months for them. Sad news.
  5. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

6. jkauff

jkauff Forum Resident

7. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

8. Ash76

Ash76 Forum Resident

Heard this sad news when I got in the car this morning. RIP Bob
  9. harpo 63

harpo 63 Well-Known Member

10. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

11. csampson

csampson Forum Resident

:(

Sad news. A underrated guitarist in an underrated band. I was fortunate to see them a couple of times the past year or so and the whole band along with Bob 2 were great and energetic as ever. Their last album was awesome and right up there with the best efforts during their prime years. It was as if the band was getting a second wind and as such I was looking forward for news on a new album. We ain't getting younger. Enjoy life while you can. RIP Bob.
    Clanceman likes this.
  12. Raf

Raf Forum Resident

13. PhilBiker

PhilBiker Formerly Philip Hamm

Very sad news. I am fortunate to have seen DEVO live multiple times from the 80s through their tour for "Something for Everybody". I remember the two night stint at the 930 club in Washington DC fondly, first night "Q/A" plus great hits, second night "Freedom Of Choice". Bob 2 wasn't the melodic solosist that Bob 1 was (the solo in "Beautiful World" is one of my all time favorite guitar solos), but he played many of the distinctive guitar parts that made the songs drive. Remember the jangling guitar that starts out and finally grounds "Satisfaction" after the insane bass/drum intro? That's Bob2. The way the Bobs played against/with each other was really great; again "Satisfaction" is a great example of this interaction, with Bob2 playing the insane rhythm part and Bob1 playing the little note-riff against it. Bob 2 had a great sense of space and making the different instrumental parts work with each other. He will be missed by this DEVO fan for sure.

DarkAudit and SpudOz like this.
  14. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

15. jimhb

jimhb Well-Known Member

This. Really. Really. Really. Sucks.
  16. mayoski

mayoski Well-Known Member

:( Sad news.
  17. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Forum Resident

18. kippy

kippy Well-Known Member

One of the all-time great, truly original, groundbreaking bands.
  19. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates Forum Resident

Very very sad news :-(
  20. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

21. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Active Member

I had a bunch of people tell me this morning. Man, I am still trying to get over Alan's death last year. I'm glad I got to see Devo nine or ten times before Bob passed.

That makes this news suck even more.

I just can't imagine Jerry wanting to replace his brother in the band. I wonder if they'll decide to call it a day.
    Clanceman likes this.
  22. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Forum Resident

I like Devo. Classic band. RIP!
    Clanceman likes this.
  23. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Active Member

I thought of that, too. I really, really hope history is not repeating itself.
    Clanceman likes this.
  24. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Only A Northern Song

This is not good :cry:
  25. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Forum Resident

RRHOF 2015?