RIP Bobby Palkovich (Merlin Music Systems)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Thermionic Dude, Aug 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident Thread Starter

Unfortunately, Mr. Palkovich passed August 20.

I had been browsing various speakers, and the announcement was on the Merlin web page. I do not have a connection to Mr. Palkovich or Merlin, but distinctly remember placing the VSM high on my list of "speakers I'd really like to own someday" after hearing them a few years ago. I also remember the exquisite craftsmanship, in the same league as some of the most desirable antique New York furniture. It's a real loss to the high-end audio community, as Merlin has been a fixture for a couple of decades.

Other than the announcement, the Merlin web site appears "business as usual", but it's anybody's guess as to the future of the company (not entirely sure how it can continue without Bobby). Peace to his family and to Merlin employees.

Blair G. likes this.
  2. DaveC113

DaveC113 Forum Resident

They always sounded great at RMAF. RIP Bobby...

3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Oh no. That is very sad. I met him a couple of times at CES, and he was a fine fellow who made a great pair of speakers that he refined over the years. RIP Bobby. Your legacy lives on.

4. dazzlingmd

dazzlingmd Forum Resident

Somehow I missed this news until today and I'm shocked and saddened. I bought a used pair of Merlin VSMs in 2012 and shortly thereafter started talking to Bobby on the phone about the right amp to drive them. He and I talked on the phone probably 30 times over the last 3 years until he finally convinced me to upgrade my Merlins to the black magic version this May.

But it turns out that my experience is not unique at all. Bobby was so passionate about his speakers, and so generous with his time, that everyone who owned the speakers was part of the Merlin "family" and he talked to so many of us and helped make sure his customers loved his speakers as much as he did with all kinds of advice and information.

Bobby worked relentlessly to make his speaker design better and better and wanted to share that with the world. I love my Merlins and am glad that I not only get to listen to them, but that I got the pleasure of knowing Bobby and feeling his passion for these speakers for a short time.

RIP Bobby and your legacy lives on.

5. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

Sad indeed. My first taste of what was possible from high(er) end audio was my purchase of a pair of Merlin Signature Two's from Audio Advisor in Grand Rapids. When I was looking to upgrade, I gave Merlin a call and talked, at length, to the brilliant and loquacious Mr. Palkovic himself. He convinced me to purchase from him his latest creation, the now well-regarded VSM, and offered an amazing deal to boot, as I was already a "loyal" customer. Well, the VSM was an exceptional speaker, but I didn't feel my rather modest (but still good) NAD gear was getting the most out of them, so I sold them on Audiogon to a nice gentleman from another state who was going to send them in for serious, and expensive, modifications. I'd like to think that he's still enjoying them to this day.

Metralla likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.