RIP Boston Acoustics

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by soundboy, Aug 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

I have fond memories of my beloved CR-8 bookshelf speakers; still don't know why I sold them. Boston also made some fine sounding component car speakers too.

Should've pick up some BA Lynnfield monitors when they were being cleared out by Audio Adviser.

"As of June 2018, Sound United had discontinued Boston shipments to its dealers without notice, effectively bringing an end to the brand."

Boston Acoustics - Wikipedia

I used to get the Boston "Up Close" magazines in the mail....at least I still have these Boston demo CDs....

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Watch out, Polk Audio!! You may be next :rolleyes:

Edit: I just remember a letter of mine was published in the old Audio magazine, the issue with the Boston CR-7 on the cover.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Tuco, longdist01 and dolsey01 like this.
  2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Their website is still around, because I'm on it now.

2trackmind likes this.
  3. soundboy

No new product for a while. The well-reviewed A-series are being cleared out on accessories4less.com at 50% off.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Too many choices now, not enough real brick and mortar dealers, and nobody much is buying large speakers. All of that means less income for a speaker brand. Rock your earbuds and shop ePay, kill-em-all...
    -Bill

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I think we may see a turn around in this area. Eventually, people will once again like speakers that can move more air,

6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That's too bad! I bought Boston Acoustics speakers for years. I had a friend that worked at Tweeter and got great discounts on their speakers. I still have a BA A7200 amp that's a clone of the Sherwood Newcastle A-965.

longdist01, matthewp and SteelyTom like this.
  7. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Their crowning achievement is when they brought out their M-Series, the finest speakers they ever made.

I have an entire 5-channel HT system of their M-Series. Currently their flagship M-350's are serving as my rear speakers.

But, in an normal 5-channel set up. I would have the pair of M-350's as the front mains. I have an unopened pair of M-340's that would serve as excellent rears, better than the bookshelf size speakers they have as rear's or surround's.

Later, I was fortunate enough to acquire a new "open-box" M-Center, completing the system.

Tim 2 and Manimal like this.
  8. I have a “Dots Will Echo” disc that was a freebie from BA. Excellent power pop and a spectacular sounding disc.

longdist01 likes this.
  9. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

In my previous house I used a pair of Boston Acoustics VRi580 in-wall speakers as rear surrounds. I really liked them! First heard them at Tweeter, another defunct company.

SteelyTom and mrdon like this.
  10. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

The Boston Acoustic speaker I coveted back in the 80’s was a model with a wide shallow enclosure, can’t begin to remember the model number

Edit: Google is my friend....it was the A200’s

11. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

This is sad. So few of the audio manufacturers that I grew up with are around anymore.

The Ipod culture is taking a huge toll on good audio. I can hardly even get my own kids to listen to real speakers when I set up stereos inside of their rooms. <sigh>

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

I use the A25 as my computer speakers. Very nice and non fatiguing.

Rayvano likes this.
  13. soundboy

Home speakers nowadays mean smart speakers....we're back to mono.

14. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

:(

My Boston CR9s are still going strong (bought back in '98) as my front mains. Always wanted to find a pair of A150s and restore them.....or a set of Lynnfield Series 500Ls (as long as I had a quality amp to drive them!).

15. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

16. lowendmidfi

lowendmidfi Active Member

I have a pair of excellent condition CR7's that's been unused since the early 2000's. I've been saving them for a secondary system that I never got around to putting together.

SteelyNJ likes this.
  17. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I have the speakers from an Avidea 6.1 surround system in my bedroom. They had these on special at Audio Advisor about 12 years ago. Very nice sounding system.

18. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

The UK favourite the A40. Good little speaker.

19. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

Once Tweeter (and all the mid-fi companies it swallowed up) went under, that was pretty much the end off BA's run.

20. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I'm still using a pair of refoamed A60s for TV viewing.

Rickchick and mr. scratchy esq like this.
  21. I sold Boston Acoustics throughout the 90's. Home and car. The car components were the best, both Rally and Pro series and I loved those Lynnfield series, as well as the older A series and CR's. As a Canadian retailer, we enjoyed the BEST relationship with that company and they knew how to treat us as a unique market. That was one fine company with great product and class. As someone who was in audio retail for over 20 years, 20 years ago, I don't even remember any reps names anymore but I remember my Boston rep's name. Shout out to Jay O'Brien, wherever you are!

22. Bummer - I liked these speakers, they were my introduction to Hi-Fi. My son is using my old A-60s and my ex still has my A-100s. :)

23. GroovyVinylDood

GroovyVinylDood Forum Resident

Truly a shame :(. I've owned a few pair of BA home speakers and in the 90's I used their auto speakers exclusively in an expensive car audio system I installed in my car.

mikedifr0923 and longdist01 like this.
  24. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Forum Resident

BA A150's, A200's, and A400's were all great speakers, with the wide shallow enclosure. Punchy, quick bass, with a slightly laid back, warm mid and treble balance. Very musical speakers. Well worth finding.

25. 200 Balloons

200 Balloons Forum Resident

I think the growth in the headphone side of the market is a better indicator of what younger audiophiles prioritize, particularly given economic realities and how many of them reside in city apartments instead of suburban houses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.