RIP Boston Acoustics

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by soundboy, Aug 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

It's not like my generation didn't have economic problems and didn't live in apartments. Headphones were also available. Most integrated amps and receivers had headphone outputs at that time. So, my generation didn't prioritize headphones, but full range speakers. Perhaps you are right about the younger people liking headphones, but I don't think it's economics and living space.

IMO, most people like small active blu-tooth speakers connected to phones.

2. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

longdist01 and SandAndGlass like this.
  3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

How can you pursue something that you have no concept of?

Manimal likes this.
  4. TarnishedEars

Exactly my point.

5. 200 Balloons

200 Balloons Forum Resident

My post was about "younger audiophiles", not "most people". I'm all ears for why they aren't buying larger speakers if economics and living space are not relevant factors.

6. TarnishedEars

I think that most are just so accustomed to headphone listing today, and it doesn't even occur to them that listening to speakers can be an even better experience. Budding audiophiles today usually buy things like Senheiser HD650s, and fancy headphone amps first, rather than going for larger components.

I'm always amazed at how many posts I read on this and other forums where the person only ever listens to through headphones, and how they have no interest-in listening-to or through anything bigger.

7. SandAndGlass

While I'm sure that economics and living space, different, more mobile lifestyles, etc... have an impact. A real world audio experience is something beyond most of their comprehension.

They have no point of reference in a high end audio system in the first place, so alternating their lifestyles to accommodate one, does not even begin to fit into the picture.

ZippyPippy likes this.
  8. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

Was BA "high end" audio?
    I had some A40's way back when I liked...
    I'm interested in hearing their A360.
    Now may be the time. :D
    I've always liked listening thru headphones from way back in the Koss days.
    I just can't do it for long.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  9. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Sounds like a Bob Lind song. :D

clhboa likes this.
  10. SandAndGlass

Headphones can provide a unique personal listening experience. It becomes like your toothbrush, it becomes personal. people will cling to their personal listening experiences.

I came back into audio because of the dreaded "digital" music, that I was listening to with IEM's. I was a member of Head-Fi.org, before I was a member here.

MichaelXX2 and Ntotrar like this.
  11. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

A couple of weeks ago, I had a couple of my daughters friends over. I played the big system for them with music they requested. They loved the system, they never asked about price. I know they would balk at spending thousands on a stereo. My son in law loves my system he was pointing out the soundstage and other aspects of the system. However, he wouldn't spend more than a few hundred on a stereo. His vinyl collection is growing and he has some rare items in there. He probably has close to $15,ooo. invested in vinyl. He bought an LP120, I gave him and my daughter an AT MLX 150. I would give them my Zephyr, except I told them they needed to upgrade the TT.:D

So, it is up to the likes of us to inform and plant the seed of good sound in the young.

12. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

No NOOOOO!
    I have the lowly but “man there’s something about em” CR6.
    I have a serious love for BA. In the right hands they could have been a contenda.
    Plenty of good stuff on the used market for those who know.

mikedifr0923 and SandAndGlass like this.
  13. TarnishedEars

FWIW, I have done much the same thing with a Millennial colleague of mine who I discovered was seriously into music. Intially he only had interest in headphones. But one day he was given an OK stereo by somebody, and he suddenly took interest in listening to his records through speakers.

Then I brought him over to my place, and he was so blown away that his reaction was to feel like he needed to take everything he owned and throw it into a dumpster immediately.

It's extremely rare when I encounter people who are ready to get into audio like this, but whenever I do, I try my best to introduce them to some really good sound.

mreeter and SandAndGlass like this.
  14. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Forum Resident

Sad. It was one of the speaker brands available in my country, so I was interested in trying a pair.

The only thing I didn't like was the size of their bookshelf speakers. Too small.

15. SandAndGlass

I so totally agree!

Last year and the year before, I watched four children from three single parent household's. They would spend time in my office / listening space, playing, creating, etc.

I always try to expose children to better music, movies and to be creative.

If children are exposed to "art" they will pick up on it by themselves (if they were meant to).

Manimal likes this.
  16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

With every opportunity to choose a pair for a new application, I would always start with Boston and Polk. So many times, I would be more than satisfied without branching out from there.

Half the speakers in this hoouse (and, that includes the car parked in the garage), are either Boston Acoustics or Polk.

I know I'm not in the majority of those looking for speakers right now, but there's just so few places to go near one's house, to just bring in a CD or to, and spend a morning auditioning options. And more earbuds walk out the door than anything...and most prospective customers don't even take the time to audition them! "Earbuds? Check-!", and that's all. Why stock speakers when with buds you just have to stock the boxes with the right names on them, and your job is done.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Man, I didn't realize they were still around. At some point, I had a pair of small ported bookshelf speakers from them-- can't remember when I bought them or why. Probably gave them away when I moved. (Got rid of a lot of stuff then). I think they sounded good when I last heard them, but that was quite a while ago.

18. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Had four Boston Acoustics speakers in my Saab 900 back in the late '80s with Soundstream head-end and power amp. Loudest and cleanest car system I ever owned!

c-eling, longdist01 and SteelyNJ like this.
  19. kevin

kevin Senior Member

I've got a pair of BA A40 Series II's as the rears in my 5.1 system[had em since 1992]and a BA center channel speaker from 92 as well.

rednedtugent likes this.
  20. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

The crossover in that little A40 is something. I should have kept mine...

21. VinylHI

VinylHI Well-Known Member

Agreed! My M350's I scored for $500 make me smile every time they play. Still can't believe the bass from those 5.25-inch woofers.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Make sure your daughter and son in law keep the system away from their kids, present or future. Silver discs came along at the right time when mine were young, so I did without vinyl for 15 years.

23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Most younger audio files that I know do indeed have large speakers

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

There are no kids yet. When my daughter was young I kept a close eye on her and reminded her not to touch the stereo equipment she was a really good girl never had a problem. When children do come to my house they are forbidden to enter my listening room.

25. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I don't let expense get in the way of a decent home speaker system. I buy cheap but good enough!

I love my Boston Acoustic BA635's 2.1 satellite computer speakers I bought at a Salvation Army thrift store for $6 around 15 years ago.

They're hooked to my Spectrum cable TV digital box analog RCA connects. I live in an apartment and anything bigger would be just too loud for my neighbors.

I hope to god Polks don't go the way of BA. It's the only speakers I put in my car.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.