RIP Chuck Berry, 1926-2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fourfeathers, Mar 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

2. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

At this point I bet it is the last thing people close to him are concerned with.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    Beaneydave likes this.
  3. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

No words is right.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  5. joejoe

joejoe Forum Resident

Three years ago (March 19, 2014) I made a point to go to St. Louis and catch him at Blueberry Hill. This is what I wrote that night after seeing him:
    "I finally had the chance to see one of my favorite guitar players of all time. When he took the stage I admit to being star struck for a moment. In a flash all those black and white 50's Duck Walk promo shots and the 60's and 70's groovy outfits then the 80's concert with Keith Richards. There he was. The first thing I noticed was that Gibson and those giant hands. At 87 he shows his age but Chuck is still there. Yes he forgot the chords, what key he was in, and the words. Confessing to the crowd "can you believe I wrote these?". But there were many more moments where he came shining through. Getting in that Chuck Berry groove on School Days, hitting the mark with a great line in Reelin and Rockin "We boogied in the kitchen We boogied in the hall I got some on my finger so I wiped it on the wall". In fact he remembered many of the "suggestive" lines for the live version not heard in the studio version. The old blues man came through for a short but sweet Wee Wee Hours. He was still the Chuck that does what he wants to do and no one is going to tell him otherwise. As the band tried playing Johnny B. Goode he sang the words to Promised Land. Each time they tried to restart he would sing "Left my home in Norfolk Virginia" with a smile. I'm pretty sure that was the same old Chuck messing with his band. He would wander off to hang with the drummer or sit with the pianist. His son (Charles Edward Berry Jr. Who plays guitar in the band) and daughter (Ingrid who sings and plays harmonica) rolled their eyes, shook their heads, and laughed with him too. When Chuck attempted to tune his guitar the son would tell him "No dad it's good". When he sang with his daughter (who kept him on track and helped him remember all those lines) the sweet harmonies were there just like on the records in the 60's. He had us all rockin', laughing, and loving him all night in that little club. So glad we went. If I'm still around at 87 I hope I can still play and have family and friends around when I do".

Texastoyz, Binni, Sean and 9 others like this.
  6. tezca

tezca Forum Resident

A couple of hours ago, while driving, I was remembering that Chuck's new album is going to be in sale in the next months. I tough that buying will close a circle that started with him and put on the middle all the rock in our lives: Presley, Buddy, Beatles, Janis, Jimmy H, Zep, Who, Yes, S Pistols, Ramones, Rush, thousands and thousands of names. A circle has been close with his death.

zphage likes this.
  7. FredV

FredV Senior Member

8. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

9. George C.

George C. Forum Resident

Rest in peace

10. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

11. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Rock and roll can never die. Especially not the kind with instantly lovable melodies, clever guitar playing and dryly comical yet insightful and pure fun lyrics. 90 years old. Thanks to Chuck Berry for everything he did for our idols and for us. Viva, viva rock 'n' roll! :righton:

This man took the blues and turned it into a party you'd never forget. Rest his soul.

12. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

Legend. RIP

13. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Thank you, Chuck. You just started this little thing called Rock'roll

14. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

A guitar pioneer at the root of everything. Layed down the foundations of rock music.

DJ LX likes this.
  15. FredV

FredV Senior Member

16. oh1

oh1 Forum Resident

Hail!, Hail! Rock n' Roll. Rest in peace .

17. Dr. Winston Ramone

Dr. Winston Ramone Shoveling smoke with a pitchfork in the wind

Johnny B. Goode was the first guitar solo that I learned to play. I'm going to put on his Rarities CD now and enjoy it!

RIP

Northwind and Lewisboogie like this.
  18. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

Legend

19. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

RIP you legend

20. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

He made all of our lives better. RIP.

Sean, John Bliss and Lonesurf like this.
  21. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

RIP, true legend. Let's celebrate his legacy.

22. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

That was the first time I saw Chuck Berry. Happy memories!
    I have been dreading this day for a while. I am glad he lived a long and full life. His contribution to music as we know it today has been seminal and immense. RIP.

John Bliss likes this.
  23. That's an understatement.

24. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Thank you for everything, dear dad.

25. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Long live Chuck Berry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.