RIP Chuck McCann

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by FredV, Apr 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

RIP. Far Out Space Nuts was basically "Gilligan and Skipper in Space" and in fact as a little kid I thought Chuck McCann was the same guy who'd played Skipper.

"I said lunch, not launch!"

2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Rest in Peace. Sorry to hear this. Chuck was my best friend's neighbor and I had dinner with him several times. He was great fun and already ready to perform at parties. He knew his Obi Wan Kenobi thrilled me, so he always greeting me as Alec Guiness!

swedwards1960 and FredV like this.
  3. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

From what I understand, Chuck McCann was an authority on Laurel & Hardy.

4. FredV

FredV Senior Member Thread Starter

5. FredV

From the 2012 meet and greet Chuck McCann book signing. You can spot me and my wife Linda in the background early in the video, as well as Scott Gordon and Looney Skip Rooney from the Uncle Floyd Show.

6. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Wow, just saw the obit in the Times. A childhood idol. He also was in one of my favorite episodes of Columbo, coincidentally playing a projectionist in "Double Exposure." RIP.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    troggy likes this.
  7. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

The Mt. Rushmore of 1960's Tri-State area childrens' TV (apologies to Soupy Sales and Sandy Becker):
    [​IMG]
    Chuck McCann (center, left) appeared with Bozo the Clown, ("Captain") Jack McCarthy (top) and
    ("Officer") Joe Bolton in a show for children on the New York station WPIX in 1960.

vinnie and FredV like this.
  8. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

RIP Chuck!
    [​IMG]

9. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

So long Chuck, thanks for the great distractions from my afternoon homework!
    [​IMG]

ted321, Jerry and FredV like this.
  10. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

Grew up watching him. RIP Chuck.

11. Dirkwkirk

Dirkwkirk Forum Resident

Didn't know the name, but know the face.

12. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

13. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

I understand that he once recorded a talking soundtrack to the silent Laurel and Hardy film, Double Whoopie, doing the voices for both Stan and Ollie, as he was a excellent mimic of both. I would love to see and hear this film with Chuck's dubbing. Can anyone point me to it? Thanks in advance.

14. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

One of the greats of 1960s NY children's television along with Sandy Becker, Soupy Sales, Paul Winchell, Officer Joe Bolton and the only one still alive, Sonny Fox.

jawilshere likes this.
  15. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Wow - I just saw him in an Andy Sidaris movie called Guns. He is an agency agent who poses as a magician as part of Cynthia Brimhall's awful Vegas show. It's memorable because there is a very uncharacteristic scene where he bluffs his way into a police examination room making jokes and doing schtick and then blows a couple guys away with a shotgun. Of course he gets blown up eventually, as people do but it looked like easy duty. I'm guessing he must have been one of Andy's drinking buddies. Anyway, RIP.

16. FredV

Miss our pal, Chuck McCann.

beccabear67 likes this.
  17. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

He was a great entertainer. Very memorable (though a bit of Ollie and a bit of Zero to him, no?). I didn't know he started at WPIX... we get the channel now but didn't then.

Just realized I still like Tony's frozen pizza best! :laugh:

18. I'm surprised no one mentioned his role in The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter. I enjoyed him in that sad movie.

beccabear67 likes this.
  19. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

20. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Oh yeah, I saw that for the first time recently on TCM channel and was blown away by how good he was! I was like, "is that Chuck McCann? Nah, it can't be... holy... it is Chuck McCann... (watching credits at end) yep, that was him, wow!" :righton:

Butterfly Blue likes this.
  21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I love it when a guy who everybody remembers (but many barely remember, they remember him)...gets remembered. I hope all the opportunities he had to make people happy, made for a satisfying life. A life pursuing fame, can suck. But a life pursuing happiness for others, deserves every blessing that comes their way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.