RIP Harry Dean Stanton (No Harry Dean Stanton? He left for the great desert in the sky...)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by daglesj, Sep 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

Here's the trailer for HDS's upcoming film, 'Lucky,' due out on Sept. 29. David Lynch puts in an appearance in this one too:

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Peter Fonda on Facebook :

" RIP Harry Dean Stanton. Jack Nicholson, Dennis, and I painted his initials on the jail cell wall in Jacks opening scene in Easy Rider!!! It read HD Stanton..."

3. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

He was in quite a few Monte Hellman films.

4. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I'll add my RIP b/c I admired him, and have even been known to quote him in my law school classes. :)
    Great character actor, Paris Texas was powerful, but he just killed it in Repo Man.
    Even Jack Nicholson, who apparently was his roommate in the early days, thought he was an intense guy.

fr in sc likes this.
  5. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I love this man's work. Literally in tears hearing of this.

6. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I realized recently that Harry Dean Stanton was in many of my all time favorite films. Alien, Repo Man, Fire Walk With Me to name a few.

"I'd rather live on my feet than die on my knees."

black sheriff and Brian Lux like this.
  7. IronWaffle

IronWaffle It’s all over now, baby blue

Sad news but a good, long run for that existential cowboy.
    I love that and seem to recall it in Partly Fiction, the documentary about him. That's where I pulled these, at least...

I'm not one for screen shots but I couldn't help myself. This needed to be a "photo comic." SH.tv only allows five photos so it's trimmed. I've uploaded all seven or so shots in the sequence here.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can hear all the songs he sang in that film here. My favorites would be "Help Me Make It Through the Night," "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain," and "Hands on the Wheel." My own first memory of him is this (at 1:45):

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  8. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Oops. Age was already said. :p

9. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

I've just been reading about HDS in a bio of another Kentucky boy, Warren Oates. HDS like to party a bit himself in the good ole days but he managed to be a little more moderate than his fellow Kentuck. He would outlive WO by 35 years.

RIP Harry Dean

10. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Harry Dean Stanton: Crossing Mulholland < KET

“Harry Dean Stanton: Crossing Mulholland,” a Kentucky Muse production produced by Tom Thurman, examines the life of one of Hollywood’s more eccentric and intriguing personalities. Tracking the actor’s path from humble beginnings in West Irvine, Ky., through a prolific and storied film career, “Crossing Mulholland” paints a striking portrait of this one-of-a-kind Kentuckian.

Interviews with family and friends reveal that by the time Stanton left home to pursue acting in California, he had already acquired the raw look and intense presence that would become his on-screen signature. After attending Lafayette High School in Lexington, Stanton served in the Navy. He later attended the University of Kentucky on the G.I. Bill, studying everything from journalism and radio arts to acting and music. From there, he drifted west, finding a home at the Pasadena Playhouse, where he began honing his craft and making a name for himself.

“Crossing Muholland” viewers discover that in the 1950s, whenever television called, Stanton was there to play the loner, tramp, killer, thief, or whatever was required. More than half a century ago, he had already acquired that face: wolf-like, lonely, dangerous, and friendly at the same time.

Such notable Hollywood figures as actors Billy Bob Thornton and Richard Dreyfuss; musicians Kris Kristofferson and Michelle Phillips; critic Leonard Maltin; and directors John Carpenter and Wim Wenders discuss Stanton’s talents. Producers and directors have turned to Stanton again and again in films like “Paris, Texas,” “Repo Man,” “The Green Mile,” HBO’s acclaimed series “Big Love,” and the 2011 animated feature “Rango.”

“Crossing Mulholland” also takes time to look at Stanton’s other passion — music, featuring several intimate, living room jam sessions with friends Michelle Phillips and Jamie James. Stanton expresses his love for singing and playing music, while his unique voice brings a sense of mystery to each song.

A favorite of directors, critics, colleagues, and audiences, Kentuckian Harry Dean Stanton has carved his name into the cultural consciousness of cinematic arts. “Harry Dean Stanton: Crossing Mulholland” offers an insightful look at this versatile and talented actor while giving viewers a chance to hang out with a pretty interesting fellow.​

Ginger Ale, fr in sc and IronWaffle like this.
  11. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

Repo Man! Mrs. Marmot recognizes him as Gideon.

12. He's heading north at 110 per.

starfieldroad and Leviethan like this.
  13. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Ain't a Repo man he knows who don't take speed.

14. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

All the flags in Paris, Texas and Hollywood should be at half staff.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  15. Aardvark23

Aardvark23 Forum Resident

RIP Mr Stanton. I enjoyed him in every movie I saw him in. I am SO glad David Lynch gave him something to do in the Twin Peaks return.

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

loved him in Dillinger!

17. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

RIP. Great actor. I love his part as "Brain" in Escape From New York.

ex_mixer, aussievinyl, Graham and 2 others like this.
  18. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

I just watched Kelly's Heroes today. I know Harry (Dean) wasn't a leading actor, but played a great part!

HominyRhodes likes this.
  19. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

RIP. Thank you.

20. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Oh no! Very sad news. Such a classic guy. Loved him in everything, especially Escape from New York. RIP, Harry.

"Working for the man now, Plissken?"

[​IMG]

21. Joey The Lemur

Joey The Lemur Forum Resident

Man, what a resume! RIP

22. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

He was so cool in that movie

Holy Diver likes this.
  23. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

24. bekayne