RIP Howie Epstein

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matt, Feb 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt

Matt New Member Thread Starter

Howie Epstein 1955 - 2003 - Sorry to bring bad news, but Cathy Buffington has reported that Howie Epstein died today. Howie was born July 21, 1955 in Milwaukee, WI. He was a kind KIND person who donated a lot to the fans and this site. Please click here to see the wonderful pictures Howie sent me to share with fans of the Heartbreakers. Sorry if this sounds stupid, but my favorite "Howie bit" is on "A Bunch of Videos and Some Other Stuff" when the cameraman is chasing Howie around to get him to introduce a video and the cameraman says introduce "A Woman In Love" and Howie yells... "I'm not on that one!" Always loved that. Great sense of humor! Howie, we'll miss you!  

http://www.gonegator.com/news_022003.asp

2. stever

stever Senior Member

Wow, I can't believe it! What a shame, and a waste of great talent. I hope someone can post here later what he died from. I'm afraid to know after hearing about all the trouble him and Carlene have been getting themselves into. :sigh:

3. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Sad, but I'm not surprised. I think I can guess what the cause of death is. Doesn't make it any less sad.

4. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

5. AKA

AKA Senior Member

From tompetty.com:

"We are deeply saddened at the news of Howie’s passing. It’s difficult to put into words how much we loved him and will miss him. The world has lost a great talent and a kind and gentle soul. We can only take solace in knowing he is now at peace. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and his many friends."

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

6. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Farewell, Howie:thumbsup: :( Another good guy done too soon...

ED:cool:

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

He was a nice guy. :(

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

http://www.billboard.com/billboard/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1824016

Former Petty Bassist Epstein Dies

Howie Epstein, 47, former bassist for Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, died at a hospital in Santa Fe, N.M. late Monday night. Santa Fe County Sheriff Greg Solano says that while the cause of Epstein's death was as yet undetermined, the musician had been transported to the hospital by a female companion who told police that Epstein had been using heroin, and had also been taking prescription antibiotics for an illness.

"We are deeply saddened at the news of Howie's passing," reads a statement from Petty & the Heartbreakers. "It's difficult to put into words how much we loved him and will miss him. The world has lost a great talent and a kind and gently soul. We can only take solace in knowing he is now at peace. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and his many friends."

Epstein played with the Heartbreakers from 1982, when he replaced original bassist Ron Blair, until last year; at that time, the band said it had parted company with him "because of his ongoing personal problems." In 2001, Epstein and his then-girlfriend, singer Carlene Carter, were arrested in New Mexico after three grams of heroin were found in the couple's car.

-- Chris Morris, L.A.

9. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

This is very sad news. Great musician and he is already missed and will be for many years.

10. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Sad indeed. So much tragedy, loss and misfortune in the rock world in these first two months of the year.

Jim W.

11. speedo

speedo Member

what a great loss a great man.
    A true music fan

12. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Very sad news. Rock N' Roll heaven has gotten some great bass players over the last year. Entwistle, Dee Dee, now Howie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.