RIP Kaye Ballard

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by FredV, Jan 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FredV

FredV Senior Member Thread Starter

2. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I don't remember ever watching The Mothers-In-Law. I may have been watching Ed Sullivan at the same time or I always put off my weekend homework to Sunday nights. RIP.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

R.I.P. have to watch my DVD Mothers In Law box! fine actress and comedian...

SandAndGlass and pghmusiclover like this.
  4. FredV

FredV Senior Member Thread Starter

JakeM, Doug_B and Myke like this.
  5. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I used to watch that back in the early 70s. Funny show.

RIP Kaye

jtsjc1 and pghmusiclover like this.
  6. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

8. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Damn!!
    I have loved Kaye my entire life. A fantastic singer, terrific actress and so very, very funny! I saw her on stage in ths Marx Brothers musical "Minnie's Boys" and "Chicago" about 25 years ago and she was fabulous! She was so nice to me, I got her to autograph my program.
    Very, very sad news. I admire Kaye Ballard immensely.

9. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

10. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

A memorable actress!

11. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I remember liking The Mothers-In-Law a lot, and thought it ran a lot longer than just two seasons. I must have seen it in syndication. Kaye was great on the show, as was her co-star Eve Arden.

12. Coach Betsy!

Rest well.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Very surprised to hear about Ms. Ballard's private life:

Ballard never married or had children. She wrote in her memoir, “I found an emotional connection with women like Liz (Smith, the admittedly bisexual syndicated columnist who was Ballard’s road manager in the 1950s) that I could never find with a man. I don’t know why or how it happened, but I do know it has kept me single my entire life.”

https://www.desertsun.com/story/news/2019/01/22/kaye-ballard-dies-at-93-rancho-mirage/2620474002/

I thought she was very talented but only thought of her as a sitcom/game show personality. I honestly didn't know about her range as a Broadway/musical theater actress. She was very good in The Mothers-in-Law, and I remember the show pretty fondly from the 1960s.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

15. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I remember watching Mothers in Law on TV as a kid. I thought she just had a funny face, always made me smile even before she delivered her line.

Vidiot likes this.
  16. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

The Washington Post obit didn't mention Laugh-In, but IMDB confirms she was in it. I remember her from that. I think she also made a lot of talk show appearances in the 60s. She was certainly a memorable performer.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Ballard had terrific comic timing, and I was sorry she didn't work more often.

18. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

:shake:...A ways ago I discovered her first-ever??, ballad tempo, recording of the song " In Other Words " : better known as " Fly Me To The Moon ". My parents had the cast LP to a Ben Bagley revue tribute to Cole Porter that she was on. R. I. P.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  19. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

20. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

21. Rob P S

Rob P S Senior Member

22. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

The late great Wendie Jo Sperber always reminded me of Kaye Ballard with her style of acting. RIP to both of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.