RIP Monty Python: 1969 - 2014

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sunspot42, Jul 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Terry Jones has made some fine (and witty) documentary-series about the Middle Ages and the Barbarians. I guess it depends on what you call "the business" (mediocre slapstick-y comedies; John Cleese is for hire! ;)).

2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Those series were made a decade ago though, weren't they?

Edit: Looks like the last one - Great Map Mysteries - was released in 2008. So 6-7 years ago.

3. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

He is 72 years old, afterall. In 2008 he was 66. Since 2008, he has written the libretto and directed two operas [2008; 2011]. He wrote a book of short stories, which I believe were once intended as the basis for one of his operas, but discarded [2011]. He was suppose to be working with Jim Steinman [of 'Bat Out of Hell' fame'] on a new project of 'The Nutcracker,' a couple of years ago. I was also under the impression he had started to direct a film ['Absolutely Anything'] earlier this year. I imagine since 2008 he has been enjoying life with his new young wife and daughter. Actually not a bad work ethic for someone who should be retired.

4. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

They are all getting on in years and we were lucky to be able to see the still surviving members still with us and able to perform. It was never going to be the same as when they were in their prime, same as seeing the Stones and the Who won't be the same.
    It was a pretty good showing for a bunch of septugenarians, given much of the material required quick fire execution I thought they did well. It creaked and groaned in some places but back in their heyday things will have gone awry, the level of energy and concentration required to deliver a lot of their material would be hard to maintain night after night at any age.

I did briefly think at one point though in the Anne Elk sketch when Cleese was coughing 'in character' if he might be about to keel over...

5. sunspot42

I had the same thought!

Knowing Cleese, so did he!

drivingfrog likes this.
  6. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

Any comments from someone who went to an encore broadcast in a cinema ?

I'm curious if the sound levels at the beginning of the show were "fixed" by a bit of post-production mixing? Ditto for the echo that was present in the live audio mix.

Also curious if the encore broadcast had an intermission - and a 30 minute count down during the intermission?

7. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I saw the first encore two days after the initial performance.

The screen/sound cut out a few times during the first half for between 5 and 30 seconds so I got a raincheck to another movie or live movie event. Other than that the sound was great although it would have been nice to have subtitles for all of the song/dance numbers. There was still echo so I don't think the sound was cleaned up all that much.

Our encore had the entire intermission with the countdown.

8. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

I was able to see a Dutch broadcast of the event -- sounded fine. Wonder why the rebroadcasts in theaters haven't had the sound replaced or tweaked with what went out to TV in Europe.

9. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

I'm guessing that the theaters are permitted to record the original broadcast, and replay it several times.

So any "warts" in the original broadcast would be there during the encore.

I suspect the home video will be cleaned up.

I didn't think the live broadcast was ruined by technical problems - broadcasting the event absolutely live almost guaranteed problems and I went into the theater expecting a glitch or two....

10. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Gilliam totally steals it!

MikaelaArsenault and sunspot42 like this.
  11. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

The theater I saw it at said that they got a live feed even for the encore. They told me that had started to preload the stream to avoid as many glitches and buffering problems as possible.

12. sunspot42

Yup! He was easily the big surprise of the night for me. Did a wonderful job on the Gumby flower arranging as well. All the more wonderful since it turns out he was the one most worried about his performing abilities in the documentary!

13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Wonder why they changed the dialogue from "flayrod's gone askew" to "crossbeam's gone askew"?

14. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

The sketch as it originally was broadcast on the television series included the line referencing the 'crossbeam'. When the group recorded their LP 'Another Monty Python Record', the dialogue from the sketch was slightly revised including this line which then included a reference to a 'flay rod' instead of a 'crossbeam'.

15. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Saw it tonight in SF and loved the experience of seeing these brilliant guys together one last time. No audio glitches but an odd start with a title card and Lumberjack audio sounding like from the TV show played over it which made no sense to me pre concert. A 15 minute intermission countdown as well.

sunspot42 likes this.
  16. Raf

Raf Senior Member

One Down Five to Go is currently an iTunes exclusive (before the general release on Nov. 10).

17. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I agree.

Palin, IMO, is better in bold and salesman type characters as opposed to meek type characters (e.g. Jabberwocky). (I would say the same about Dan Akroyd.)

18. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I watched the DVD last night after watching this the other night:

Yovra and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  19. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

Were the cameo's the same each of the 10 nights?
    In other words - was Mike Myers cameo the same tripping over himself to say how in awe he was each night?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  20. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

My favorite Python sketch:

21. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Clearly, one of their best!

My wife and I often use the following quote from Graham Chapman (heard at 2:53 of the following scene), when things don't go as planned!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzejK4-qZ2E

22. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

I am not sure who the other cameos were, but I do know they were different each night of the show.

23. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

24. danner

danner Forum Resident

Anyone catching John Cleese and Eric Idle on their upcoming tour? I have no idea what to expect but went ahead and bought tickets for the New Orleans show.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.