RIP Pat DiNizio of The Smithereens

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OldJohnRobertson, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Thanks for staying on this, always checking the alerts

Hep Alien and squittolo like this.
  2. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

From The Smithereens facebook page: Big announcement on Tuesday at noon EST! Guest artists for "Time and Time Again: A Celebration of Pat DiNizio!"

Hep Alien, No Bull and squittolo like this.
  3. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

can't wait to hear who it is!

squittolo likes this.
  4. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

http://www.app.com/story/entertainm...dinizio-smithereens-tribute-basie/1016887001/

Marshall Crenshaw, Robin Wilson of the Gin Blossoms, Freedy Johnston, Peter Zaremba and Keith Streng of the Fleshtones, Bebe Buell, the Grip Weeds, Kenny Margolis, Soraia, Ted Leo, Graham Maby of the Joe Jackson Band, Andy Burton, Ed Stasium and Kenny Howes will join the Smithereens and the previously announced Stevie Van Zandt, Patty Smyth and Richard Barone at the “Time and Time Again: A Celebration of the Life of Pat DiNizio,” Saturday, Jan. 13, at the Count Basie Theatre in Red Bank.

5. LandHorses

6. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Wow. this is excellent. This will be one hell of a night! thanks for tracking this and posting!

keyXVII, melstapler and squittolo like this.
  7. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Pat did some sessions at Robin Wilson's recording studio which was located in Tempe, Arizona. While at the studio, Robin surprised Pat by showing him a set list he had saved from the night he saw The Smithereens on the "Green Thoughts" tour.

At one point, there had been talk about releasing a proper solo album, although nothing ultimately materialized from those sessions. The recordings were demos as far as Pat was concerned, but some of those mixes sounded great and did justice to his songs. Based on the quality material, Pat's prospective solo album would've bridged the gap between The Smithereens and the solo album he recorded in NC with Don Dixon.

8. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

No Bull and squittolo like this.
  9. putz

putz Forum Resident

Scored a pair of GA seats on Stubhub for Saturday's show at The Basie. Looks like I bought one too many and I now have one for sale. PM me if interested.

(RED BANK – JAN 9) This weekend’s Time And Time Again: A Celebration of Pat DiNizio concert at the historic Count Basie Theatre will be streamed live on theBASIE.org beginning at 8PM EST on Saturday, January 13th.

“Time And Time Again: A Celebration of Pat DiNizio” came together following DiNizio’s passing last month. With the Smithereens set to perform as part of the Citi-presented Little Steven’s Underground Garage at The Basie series, “Little Steven” Van Zandt curated a tribute to the legendary New Jersey rocker.

A portion of ticket sales will establish the Pat DiNizio Musical Performance Scholarship at the Basie’s Performing Arts Academy. Online viewers will be encouraged to contribute towards the scholarship fund via the Basie Web site.

“With the sudden, tragic passing of Pat DiNizio, I think it’s appropriate that we take this moment to pay tribute to him,” Van Zandt said. “I will be honored to sing a few of his songs with the band.”[​IMG]

The event will feature the Smithereens – Jim Babjak, Dennis Diken, Severo Jornacion and Mike Mesaros – joined by Van Zandt, Scandal vocalist Patty Smyth, Marshall Crenshaw, Ted Leo, Robin Wilson of The Gin Blossoms, Freedy Johnston, Richard Barone (The Bongos), Graham Maby, Peter Zaremba and Keith Streng (The Fleshtones), Bebe Buell, The Grip Weeds, Soraia, legendary guitarist John Jorgensen, Kenny Margolis (Cracker), producer Ed Stasium, Andy Burton, Kenny Howes and others.

“I’m heartened and overwhelmed – though not surprised – at the outpouring of love for Pat since his recent passing,” said Smithereens drummer and co-founder Dennis Diken. “I know there will be a lot of love in the room on Saturday night as we celebrate Pat’s life and music, and I think the DiNizio Musical Performance Scholarship offers a wonderful way to keep his spirit alive and pass along his passion for music and self-expression to enlighten young musicians for generations to come.”

A short film about DiNizio will be shown during the concert, along with tributes from artists inspired by Pat’s work. Fans can expect a set of The Smithereens’ entire catalog, ranging hits like “A Girl Like You,” “Miles From Nowhere,” “Blood And Roses” and much more. Legendary Metropolitan-area radio host Jim Monaghan will host.

10. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

This will be a wonderful evening!!

Hep Alien and squittolo like this.
  11. allbrosca

allbrosca Dancing Madly Backwards

FYI, I heard that Dave Davies (KinKs) has been added to the bill!

longdist01, 905, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  12. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

That makes it all so perfect. Somewhere Pat is smiling...

13. LandHorses

keyXVII, Hep Alien and squittolo like this.
  14. putz

putz Forum Resident

Dave is definitely performing per his Facebook page.

If any forum members want to meet up before the show, PM me.

Hep Alien, JoeRockhead and squittolo like this.
  15. LandHorses

Count Basie Theater Twitter....................

#theBASIE‏Verified account @CountBasieThtr 10m10 minutes ago

Please note: Tonight's broadcast will be linked from the front page of http://theBASIE.org beginning at 8pm EST. You may see a blank page when you click over. This is simply a placeholder until the broadcast begins. Hit "Refresh" at / around 8pm and you should be fine. (1/2)

We are anticipating record site traffic and have done everything possible to increase bandwidth and make the broadcast available worldwide. Please also consider clicking over and contributing to the #PatDiNizio Musical Performance Scholarship.#smithereens #timeandtimeagain

#theBASIE on Twitter

squittolo and Hep Alien like this.
  16. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

17. Hep Alien

Hep Alien Forum Resident

Well, that was a freaking wonderful celebration of Pat's music. I am so grateful they shared the live stream with us. Jimmy, Mike, & Dennis played and sang with all of their hearts and the guests were all great. Time to hit the sheets...

keyXVII, squittolo, Aggie87 and 6 others like this.
  18. putz

putz Forum Resident

Looks like the Live Stream is no longer available for viewing. If anyone knows otherwise, please elaborate.

So I went to the show and was on the rail with Land Horses right in front of Jim Babjak (no actual rail, just the stage). Scandal was ok but must have run long because they left out Goodbye to You at the end of their set.

The video tribute was great to the point of being tearworthy. It's on Youtube along with a half dozen songs.

Dennis, Mike and Jim were truly playing their hearts out all night and they needed this show as much as the fans did. Jim was close to tears a bunch of times and I just wanted to hug it out with him. That not being possible I just kept yelling words of encouragement to him between songs. I got a guitar pick from him for my troubles.

Thriller was there and did the vocals on House We Used to Live In and then they broke into their Who Tommy Sparks jam. Dennis and Jim really stood out on that. It felt like Keith Moon was there in spirit. That song brought the house down

The guest performers were all wonderful. Dave Davies did Strangers which he wrote for the Lola album. Just Dave on acoustic with Dennis laying down a beat. I think the only non Smithereens song other than a Beatles cut and a fitting tribute to Pat
    (Strangers on this road we are on. We are not two we are one). Was hoping for Days as well, but not to be.

Robin Wilson of the Gin Blossoms handled the vocals on a lot of the songs and would be a great replacement for Pat if they are looking for someone to fill his shoes.

The show was a fitting celebration to a wonderful musician and person and provided everyone there that night with a sense of closure.

Oh yeah, they handed out 500 White Castles in Pat's honor and WC donated money to Pat's scholarship fund. Being as this was NJ, nobody wanted the Veggie Castles.

House We Used to Live In/Sparks

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    squittolo, dangiedr and Hep Alien like this.
  19. putz

putz Forum Resident

Here's the video tribute

20. putz

putz Forum Resident

Robin Wilson on Blood and Roses

21. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

As of now (5:30pm Eastern Jan 15 2017), the full recording is still on the live stream page, with all three camera views accessible. The page is confusing - the lower still image on the page is the placeholder and it doesn't indicate what to do. Click one of the three camera views on the upper right of that image. The recording starts, with a video recording of the same still picture, so you might not notice any change, but the video is playing. Mouse over the bottom of the image to reveal the video scroll bar.

The recorded video shows the still picture until real video starts at about 38:30 with a live shot of the crowd with no sound. The sound comes on and announcements and intros start at 58:00.

Time And Time Again: A Celebration of the Music of Pat DiNizio

22. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

That's nice and makes perfect sense. I am going to see Dave in April and the Smithereens were originally on the bill as Special Guests.

23. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Marshall Crenshaw did a Buddy Holly tune, which was appropriate.

I watched most of the show on the stream, would have loved to have been there. I thought Robin Wilson and Ted Leo were the top two performers. Also really dug Lenny Kaye, Tony S. and the Fleshtones. I'm guessing Soria was only there because of Little Steven. Pat was allegedly a fan of hers, will have to take LS's word for it. If Little Steven wanted one of his artists, a better pick might have been Kurt Baker, who actually knows and loves and is influenced by the Smithereens. Glad that Dave Davies made it there as well, a fitting tribute and performance.

Really enjoyed the tributes from those who couldn't be there as well.

24. LandHorses

Well, I can't add anything else. This show was as great as advertised. January is only half way over, and this is going to end up one of my favorite concerts of the year. There was a lot of love and emotion in the room. Every guest did a great job. Of course, I was happy that Lenny Kaye and Tony Shanahan were involved......they weren't in the guests announcement last week. I saw Lenny sidestage earlier on. Great meeting you Putz........I've only met a couple of people from here.

The White Castle's came in great too as I skipped eating to wait in line.

Here's some reviews of the show............
    Pat DiNizio honored with epic tribute concert by surviving Smithereens and friends (WITH SETLIST AND VIDEOS)
    Steven Van Zandt, Kinks’ Dave Davies Pay Tribute to Smithereens’ Pat Dinizio
    Pat DiNizio Smithereens tribute: Music, tears and burgers at the Basie

There's two more smaller scale Pat DiNizio tributes coming up in New Jersey next month.........

2/3/18 - The Court Tavern, New Brunswick, NJ - Blood & Roses: The Court Tavern Memorial Tribute to Pat DiNizio. No ticket info yet.
    Jim Babjak and The Grip Weeds

2/25/18 - Crossroads, Garwood, NJ
    Pat Dinizio Tribute feat. remaining members of The Scotchplainsmen & friends - Tickets - Crossroads - Garwood, NJ - February 25th, 2018
    This is a Scotch Plainsmen (Pat's side local band/friends) DiNizio tribute. A small afternoon concert that will be a lot of fun.

Hep Alien, squittolo and JoeRockhead like this.
  25. jfoley61

jfoley61 Forum Resident

Not to go off topic, but I found this show of Pat's, from late last summer, in his home town of Scotch Plains, NJ. He plays a lot of tunes he loves from his youth, and tells a few stories along the way. Coming from late August of 2017, it could be one of his last shows.

VOD Player

Here's the setlist:

Ohio
    Back In The USSR
    Dear Prudence
    Funk 49
    Rocky Mountain Way
    Only A Memory
    White Room
    Sunshine Of Your Love
    Time Is On My Side
    Jumpin' Jack Flash
    Paranoid
    Behind The Walls of Sleep
    Cinnamon Girl
    Down By The River
    From The Beginning
    If I Needed Someone
    Blood And Roses
    Feelin' Alright
    No Matter What
    Come Together
    Knockin' On Heaven's Door

Hep Alien, squittolo and melstapler like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.