RIP Pono and Pono Music Store

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SKBubba, Apr 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Further

Further Forum Resident

So, now he's thinking it's better to pay good money to just stream something instead of actually own it? Crazy. What about the people that don't have super high speed internet? They have to pay the same but don't get the same full resolution as others?

Paying for a download is bad enough but at least you can do what you want with it. I'm a physical release guy anyway but I'm not opposed to buying a good sounding HD download if that's the only way I can get it. I'd much prefer it on a Blu-Ray or something, though.

It's beginning to look more and more like the idea of Neil only releasing Archives 2 online for streaming is true. Bad idea. As long as it gets a Blu-Ray release as well, I'm fine with it and that's what I'll buy but if it's a streaming-only type of deal, forget it. I shouldn't have to be connected to the internet to enjoy the good music that I've bought and paid for.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Very disappointed. One thing the Pono store got right was that they offered more ala carte choices than HDtracks or 7Digital. I shouldn't have to fork over $40 for the one or two songs I really want in hi-res.

It came to my attention that 7Digital offers ala carte downloads to foreign customers but not to US customers. I'm sure it's the labels behind this. Why? I just don't get it. I continue to wonder why I have money in my wallet right this minute to purchase music, but I cannot find any place to buy it. So I purchase used CDs, which benefits neither the artist nor the label. Given the paltry income stream from streaming services, one would think artists and labels would be ecstatic to sell a few songs and reap the royalty revenue.

3. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I've moved away from physical media but I will never move away from wanting to possess and have control over the files to organize and play as I please. I can't imagine how a customer base who would care about hi-res vs 44/16 lossless (or even lossy) would be ok with only streaming.

4. Atmospheric

Exactly.

Also, I for one don't want some random person curating my listening experience. I prefer to do that myself.

These are dark days for music lovers. Neil's right about that.

5. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

Love my player, used it on today's walk, no one could tell what was in my pocket.

MikaelaArsenault and Atmospheric like this.
  6. POE_UK

POE_UK Forum Resident

The ones that dont worry about stuff like this are the ones that go further

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. Atmospheric

I think you'll need to esplain that to me. I truly don't get your point.

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I never cared about the player. I just cared about the store, and all the great music it had to offer in lossless.

I don't blame Neil. He tried. I blame the record labels for not wanting to sell lossless music at reasonable prices. I also blame Apple for buying up and destroying his partner. Some may call it strategic business, but I call it a sham for what Apple offers, and their sorry-ass MFiT lossy files that don't even sound all that good.

MikaelaArsenault and Atmospheric like this.
  9. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

So why did Pono shut down? When did it close?

10. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

:laugh: How is buying technology and offering jobs to an already bankrupt company, "destroying his partner". They were already dead. Apple gave these people new jobs with a stable, profitable, company. And they gave Omnifone a way to make money, by purchasing some of their patents. Sorry, Pono was a lame idea from the beginning, and parading your buddies like Stephen Stills (who's basically deaf) into a limo to say who great it sounds was a joke. Neil sounds like a crybaby....and oh yeah.....he's still selling all his music over on Apple.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  11. MikaelaArsenault

Sounds like Pono didn't even last a long time at all.

12. jon9091

A little over two years. So....no.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  13. MikaelaArsenault

I'm not surprised.:biglaugh:

14. jon9091

Actually, less than that as the online store has been unavailable since the middle of 2016.

On July 17, 2016, Pono Music announced that their online music store would be temporarily shut down due to the acquisition of their content partner, Omnifone, by "a large company". During this shutdown period, Pono Music would be transitioning to a new platform provided by 7digital. As of early 2017, the note remained on the website unchanged, there was no indication of progress in the planned transition, and music downloads remained unavailable.

But what was really going on was this...

• 4 May 2016: Omnifone Group Ltd and Omifone Ltd placed in Administration (bankruptcy)

And somehow, this is Apple's fault. :laugh:

15. MikaelaArsenault

Even better! :p

16. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

Pono store opened Jan 2015. Went offline July 2016. Basically 1.5 years.

SH forum members were right by voting 2 years if you include all the uncertainty give or take thinking that it might open again in the poll (including yours truly):
    PONO poll

It was poorly conceived to begin with and based on hot air.

Anyone want to now vote on how long MQA will last?

17. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

My FIL insisted on buying one. Asked for my thoughts. Told him it's a niche product that wouldn't last. Told him about Pono's situation and he replied back that I was right.

Wish I hadn't been but it was rather predictable, in my view.

18. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Is that the immensely talented John Laroquette in your avatar? Curious choice on an audio forum. Why?

JoshM and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  19. David Johnson

David Johnson Forum Resident

Funny I just checked the link to the poll, turns out I voted for 2 years.

It's too bad though. I'm well over $2k invested in HD music over the last few years. Probably more than half went to the Pono store as opposed to HD Tracks.

Yes I bought many actually Hi-Res music there, but the majority was regular 44.1/16 albums that I haven't been able to find. And to be honest never complained about the price, which to me, was fair.

With some of the crap albums
    today I'm way more aware as to what I'm buying and now refuse to pay $17.99 to $24.99 for an album!

My last purchase was David Bowie box set 5 Years at HD Tracks this last Christmas for 20% off. (However that set was pretty decent.)
    I am done buying albums from them again. Seems like I have had better luck with Pro Studio Masters, unfortunately they don't have a fraction of what I am looking for, except only for a few new releases once in a while.

So I will really miss the Pono store!

David

20. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I have no dog in this race - never bought into Pono, but always appreciated Neil's stance re: sound quality. Kind of surprised to see so much animosity towards the guy here.
    In regards to Apple - I think they suck. This coming from a former web designer who enthusiastically used their products in the early 90's and continues (not so enthusiastically) to use them now. These days I hate the fact that they change their user interfaces continuously, usually with horrible results. And iTunes is a necessary evil for me that shares the same esteem as my cable service. Why are people so quick to support this bully in the market?

21. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Pono was such a silly idea. Young's goodbye rant re-posted on page 1 is unintentionally hilarious. He has zero business sense. No wonder artists get so screwed by the industry - are they this completely clueless as a general rule?

2trackmind likes this.
  22. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

I'll miss the store because of it's selection. The player was of no interest to me.

Ed

23. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

Hippie thread crap.

rnranimal likes this.
  24. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

i saw the demise even when he started this, no way could this have prevailed.

25. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

yes. Yes they are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.