RIP Pono and Pono Music Store

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SKBubba, Apr 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

Hi Tim, can you give me an example of a track with a reverb trail that clearly benefits from 24-bits in normal playback volume in a "massive" way?

Over the years with rock like the aforementioned Grateful Dead, Henley, Fleetwood Mac albums recorded in analogue originally, I've never felt those old recordings couldn't be converted transparently into 16-bits with modern dithering. Happy to be proven wrong with some examples...

A few years ago I did a test between 16-bits vs. 24-bits with actual hi-res digital recordings and the statistics for audibility was far from impressive based on responses I received.

floweringtoilet and scobb like this.
  2. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

I agree. It's the reason I normally shop for downloads at 7Digital and Presto for classical apart from offering 24 bit and 320 Mp3 AND often M4A. I only go to iTunes for the MFiT titles the mastering itself is good on and given up on Amazon.

3. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Not to be a pill, but can you give me some examples of these "biggest albums in recent history..."?

Just curious.

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Producer, writer, and former label CEO Dr. Luke, for one. You're likely thinking of the old veterans. I'm thinking of the current people who produce the pop music of today.

5. aroney

Nope. I'm just wondering what the recent big albums are that were only recorded at CD/Redbook quality.

6. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

MQA is DOA.

patient_ot likes this.
  7. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

8. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

9. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Granted, Ham, I don't believe MQA is at a stage in its commercial development to where it should be a primary (or secondary, for that matter) consideration when making a DAC purchase, but, there is development in that regard, and there is movement. Now, this isn't the proper place to discuss whether we consider that to be forward movement, or backwards, with regard to the bigger picture, but, there is undoubtedly a roll-out with a certain degree of traction taking place.

10. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

I usually stay out of debates like this. But just for the fun of it, I ran a little test. I have the original Janus master for the album Charlie - Lines. At the beginning of one song is a delicious chime gliss, an excellent test of high frequencies. I recorded it at 44 and 96 kHz and did a spectral analysis. Indeed, there is stuff above 20 kHz showing on the 96 kHz graph. But know what it was? Harmonic distortion. So I'm thinking that maybe... MAYBE, mind you... the harmonic distortion registers in the brain as "pleasing" somehow.

11. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Spacial cues perhaps. The brain is a wonderfully complex signal processing engine. Among other things, it detects very subtle differences in EQ resulting from the bones in our head rolling off frequencies and processes those in order to determine where a sound originated. For example, a sound panned hard right will sound noticeably brighter and louder in the right ear, compared with the sound detected by the left ear. The louder part is expected, but the difference in EQ is more subtle. Then there's tricks that can be played on the brain, most notably Haas Effect imaging. Precedence effect - Wikipedia

The Revealer and Grant like this.
  12. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Suddenly I have a hankering for a Toblerone...

hi_watt likes this.
  13. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

My PonoPlayer now takes hours to load a single album...tried a couple of different laptops, same result. Anyone else experience a similar issue?

Edit: Loading on to the internal memory.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  14. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

On loading music on the PonoPlayer, my understanding is that the user loads music on the player via drag-and-drop. Is that how you are loading music on your player?

Since you requested someone who had a similar experience, I'll mention the following:

The only time I've a similar problem (not with a single album but with all music) is when loading FLAC files on my player where they have to be autoconverted to a different format as they are loaded on my player. Once I did that with my iPod Classic (using MediaMonkey) and it took over 8 hours to load all of my music on my player. I had the same issue when using Media Go to load music on my Sansa Fuze although it didn't take as long it was still a slower process than when the files don't have to be autoconverted.

I got around the problem by converting (and maintaining them as a separate library) the files before loading them on my player, then it took less than 1 hour to load my player.

15. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

I was hoping someone could help with the following: Just bought a 200gb SD card. I bought some albums from Live Phish (ALAC files) and copied the new files to the SD card. I also copied a Bruce Springsteen album (same format) to the new SD card that I already had on my mac.

I already have Phish and Springsteen albums on my Pono player.

When inserting the new SD card (first time introducing an external card to my Pono Player) the device only sees the new Springsteen album but not the Phish ones. Anyone knows what could be the problem?

Thanks!

16. Hell on Reels

Hell on Reels Forum Resident

To be debuted at an industry Dog & Pono Show. Look for an alternative streaming service rumored to be named ManeStream. Available at the roadapple store. Hopefully it will stirrup some new business.

drh and Solitaire1 like this.
  17. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

My player had issues with higher Rez Alac files so I converted them to flac. Cd quality Alac were never an issue.

18. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
    Rush - Moving Pictures
    Donald Fagen - Nightfly
    Christopher Cross - s/t
    Peter Gabriel - Security

All f'ing fabulous sounding records and SH.TV favorites.

Also, this thread...
    Early pop/rock full digital recordings

PhilBiker likes this.
  19. aroney

Yeah, I know about all those, but I was looking for recent history from Grant.

I believe most recent digital recordings are recorded in greater than 16-bit/44.1 CD quality.

PhilBiker likes this.
  20. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Probably so considering even a lowly iPad can record 24/96.

21. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Is the card formatted correctly? I just picked up a used Pono and have had no issues with 64gb cards so far, but I just ordered a 200 so we'll see how that goes. All my music has been "side-loaded", and I have FLAC, .dsd, ALAC, and WAV files. Perusing the web and the Pono site I see some reports of dodgy Micro SD cards, so to be safe I ordered my new one directly from SanDisk. They're very good on customer service if you have issues with one of their cards.

John K.

22. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I wonder if they would get with Pony and come up with a Walkmane that can play hi-rez files.

nosliw likes this.
  23. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Hi John,

I was able to fix the issue. The music files had the wrong format but was able to fix them. Now I’m enjoying the new 200gb card. No problems so far.

Thanks for your note

24. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

25. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Wow. Sorry to hear this news.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.