RIP Spinal Tap...?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheLazenby, Mar 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

I'd love a new movie that shows them as old men still grinding out the metal in a parody of the Rolling Stones. Christopher Guest could do great stuff with this.

2. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

It's not so much "a habit" as it is a way to keep their ownership of the characters. I read something years ago - and I forget the specific details - but the crux of it was this: the original deal for the film stated that if the characters were inactive for a substantial period (something like 7 years), the rights of the characters would revert to the film studio. One of the primary actors stated that they were very aware of this, and that's why Tap would "come back from the dead", so to speak, every so often...

Perhaps someone here as a more detailed memory of that clause than I do (?).

3. NickDanger

NickDanger Forum Resident

There's a fine line between clever and stupid.

4. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

Well, then hopefully they stick with this and get their personal issues put aside for just a bit next year.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Even if Shearer and the other main cast members had been "stuck with" $30,000 per episode to date, each one would've earned more than $17 million since the series started! :eek:

Not saying they didn't deserve their raises, of course - given how much money that show makes, of course they did - but I just thought it was astonishing to think how much they've earned from that gig...

6. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

Keelhauling?!

7. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

Probably one of the finest, and easiest gigs in the universe from what I've heard.

8. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I hope they are done. I don't really need to see any 70 plus year old geezers trying to rock...

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The original movie is genius. The videos that accompanied the vinyl soundtrack were amusing, as were some of the interviews they gave in character around that time.

Everything else has been mediocre or worse (sometimes a lot worse). If they put it to bed for good at this point, it will be no loss...

vonwegen, Dudley Morris, JFS3 and 3 others like this.
  10. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

I think they are past their sell-by at this point, but I loved that 1992 tour, seriously one of the best arena/amphitheater-size concerts I ever saw. I was hoping for years they'd bring the live Tap show around one more time. I even enjoy the Break Like the Wind album from that year, though it's far from solid gold.

mrjinks likes this.
  11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Which is why Harry might be hard to get along with. You can afford to be independent, opinionated and stubborn with that kind of money.

sunspot42 likes this.
  12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, I've always gotten the impression that voice work is a very good gig. Of course, it requires talent - I don't want to imply it's chump work or anything - but it doesn't take nearly as much time as live-action acting does and voice actors can knock out a lot of performances in a little time.

I'm too lazy to calculate it myself, but I'd be curious to figure out the total Shearer and the other main actors have made across the series' run - gotta be upwards of $30 million!

13. tortoised

tortoised Well-Known Member

1) What's the veracity of these salaries?

2) Why the insinuation about Harry being "opinionated and stubborn"?

14. zen

zen Senior Member

Someone should make a movie spoofing Spinal Tap.

15. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Tell me that scenes of senior citizen rockers dealing with the indignities of age doesn't sound like a rich vein of humor.

OK, how's this for a scenario - Tap has been re-discovered by a new generation, and has to go back out on tour after years of idleness. Derek Smalls has been utterly impoverished (as he was never one of the songwriters) and is desperate for the tour money. Nigel Tufnel is not particularly interested, as (due to a fluke), it turns out that he is now a member of the House of Lords (Christopher Guest is Baron Haden-Guest) and is enjoying this, and is frankly embarrassed by his rock past, with a new girlfriend who is concerned with being part of "society". David St. Hubbins took the "Saint" part of his name too seriously, and is now the guru of a religion centered around him (love to see the way Bono and/or Sting could be skewered).

They go out on tour, and there are groupies again - who have to deal with the fact that the armadillos are no longer rampaging, colostomy bags, geezer rockers who need to use a walker, etc.

I have to get back to work, but seriously - if they put these guys in front of a camera again, it could be something even funnier than the original.

16. elborak

elborak Forum Resident

If handled right, this could be brilliant. Do an album and/or tour just like an over-the-hill band that can't stand each other but is forced to work together for financial reasons.

17. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

:righton:

18. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

In the Maron podcast he said he's criminally underpaid.

19. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

That's pretty much what This is Spinal Tap was 30 years ago

20. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

oh, they'll get back together when Hell Freezes Over... maybe they could sign up Don Felder while they're at it :)

21. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  22. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

I hear they are going to be the Fall next time Mark books a US tour as those transatlantic flights are getting pricey

23. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

It's been all downhill since the critically acclaimed Shark Sandwich anyway.

sunspot42 and The Hud like this.
  24. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

Stonehenge remains my very favorite Spinal Tap song. It's so epic!

25. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

I remember reading a two word review of that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.