RIP: Taylor Mitchell killed by coyotes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Macman, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Masmusic

Masmusic Compact Discs Forever!

The RCMP shot one of the coyote's and are looking for the second one. Attacks by coyotes are very rare but do happen. I have coyotes in the bush behind my house and at the sight of humans they run away.

2. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Incredibly sad and very Laura Palmerish. Listening to her songs now on myspace. She was really good and had lots of potential.:sigh:

3. peerke

peerke Senior Member

What a terrible way to go.

4. The wildlife dept. says the same thing about red wolves, cougars and black bears in rural central Oklahoma, but some rangers will admit they're here. We've seen red wolves on our property and two recognizably different cougars within a mile of our house. No bears though. Coyotes are everywhere. Now that it's fall mating season we hear them singing every night.

As noted by others, coyote attacks are extremely rare. The victims are usually young children. Dog attacks are a hundred times more common.

5. RipItUp&StrtAgan

RipItUp&StrtAgan New Member

Good lord, that's horrible. I grew up in the country in Cape Breton and have never had a problem with coyotes nor ever heard of anything like this until now, everytime I've encounter them they just run away scared. Sad news, RIP.

6. Dr Faustus

Dr Faustus A younger man now getting old

How very sad. My thoughts are with her friends and family

7. titaniumman

titaniumman New Member

Werewolves.

Sad.

Scary.

8. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

This is so sad. What a horrible way to die.

9. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

I've heard of small dogs and other pets getting killed by coyotes but never a full sized human. Horrible news. R.I.P. Taylor.

10. Macman

Macman Senior Member Thread Starter

The coyotes here are much bigger than the western variety and look a lot like wolves.

11. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

What horrible news :(

12. We cannot begin to comprehend what this poor girl's family will be going through at this time.

I wasn't aware of her or her music before but I am saddened by her passing.

I hope that we can keep this thread on topic and respectful.

My thoughts are with her family, friends and loved ones.

Best Wishes
    David

13. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Sad News...

Yes, please folks, remember it is a RIP thread... :shake:

I just read this:

Coyotes kill woman on hike in Canadian park

By ROB GILLIES, Associated Press Writer Rob Gillies, Associated Press Writer – 32 mins ago

TORONTO – Two coyotes attacked a promising young musician as she was hiking alone in a national park in eastern Canada, and authorities said she died Wednesday of her injuries.

The victim was identified as Taylor Mitchell, 19, a singer-songwriter from Toronto who was touring her new album on the East Coast.

She was hiking solo on a trail in Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova Scotia on Tuesday when the attack occurred. She was airlifted to a Halifax hospital in critical condition and died Wednesday morning, authorities said.

Coyotes, which also are known as prairie wolves, are found from Central America to the United States and Canada.

Wildlife biologist Bob Bancroft said coyote attacks are extremely rare because the animals are usually shy.

Bancroft, a retired biologist with Nova Scotia's Department of Natural Resources, said it's possible the coyotes thought Mitchell was a deer or other prey.

"It's very unusual and is not likely to be repeated," Bancroft said. "We shouldn't assume that coyotes are suddenly going to become the big bad wolf."

Royal Canadian Mounted Police spokeswoman Brigdit Leger said other hikers heard Mitchell's screams for help on Tuesday and called emergency police dispatchers.

Police who were in the area reached the scene quickly and shot one of the animals, apparently wounding it. But the wounded animal and a companion coyote managed to get away.

Paul Maynard of Emergency Health Services said Mitchell already was in critical condition when paramedics arrived on the scene and had multiple bite wounds over her entire body.

"She was losing a considerable amount of blood from the wounds," he said.

An official with Parks Canada said they blocked the entrance to the trail where Mitchell was attacked and were trying to find the animals to determine what prompted such an unusual attack.

"There's been some reports of aggressive animals, so it's not unknown," said Helene Robichaud, the park's superintendent. "But we certainly never have had anything so dramatic and tragic."

Mitchell was an up-and-coming folk and country musician who was nominated for a 2009 Canadian Folk Music Award in the Young Performer of the Year category.

"Words can't begin to express the sadness and tragedy of losing such a sweet, compassionate, vibrant, and phenomenally talented young woman," Lisa Weitz, Mitchell's manager, said in an e-mail. "She just turned 19 two months ago, and was so excited about the future."

___

14. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

I hope to find her Cd...

:shake:

15. CaptainOzone

CaptainOzone On Air Cowbell

How awful. RIP.

16. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

horrible story

17. Yes, really sad and terrible!!

I haven't read or heard about any witnesses yet, but in the absence of these, it sounds to me (and my daughter) more like the killing of an un-hungry bear. The coyotes would have hung around as scavengers (which they are). Just a thought.

R.I.P.

18. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

I was really ripped when I saw this...what a horrible tragedy. Her music will get tons of recognition now, when sadly, she had such talent that she didn't need this media "push"...she was on her way.

The album title "For Your Consideration" and the design is great, she really had promise.... what a sad fate.

19. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

Such a sad story, may she rest in peace.

20. dlnathan

dlnathan Forum Resident

From an article I read a while back, Coyotes have seen an increase in size and dangerousness. Why? They have bred with Wolves ie CoyWolf. CoyWolves are taking the niches left by the absence of Wolves in the Northeastern part of North America; an area near Nova Scotia. I suspect that over time the Wolf genes will spread to all species of Coyotes creating a new Deadlier type of animal.

Some Articles to chew on:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32976657/ns/technology_and_science-science/
    http://writersdailygrind.blogspot.com/2009/09/wolf-x-coyote-hybrids-find-niche-in.html

21. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

22. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Unlike timber or gray wolves, coyotes very rarely travel in packs. They are shy and solitary animals and normally roam and hunt alone and that's why coyote attack is a very rare occurence but anything could be possible.
    This is the very first time I've heard about a coyote attack on a human being.

RIP Taylor Mitchell.

23. Coyotes typically hunt in pairs and their packs are smaller and less organized than those of wolves, but they do travel in packs, especially in the fall. I have seen packs of at least six coyotes. Coyotes do attack children rarely, sometimes fatally.

24. Coyotes are especially large in Oklahoma, due at least in part to hybridization with the red wolf, a species smaller than the more northern gray wolf.

25. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

Just saw this on the BBC news page - what a terrible loss. My thoughts are with her family and loved ones.

RIP Taylor Mitchell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.