Rising record prices at your local shop. Is it happening to you?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Guy Gadbois, Oct 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Heck, with the economy tanking and the vinyl boom kicking in, Jerry would have every excuse to jack up the prices just *that* much more.

But from what I can gather, his philosophy is that records are to be enjoyed and listened to, not hermetically sealed and obsessed over. He sells plenty of nice pressings, but for a price that someone can buy and not feel guilty for actually throwing on the turntable and playing.

Rodz42 and Easy-E like this.
  2. fab4

fab4 Forum Resident

Where I shop, records (regular and common stuffs, repress, rerererepresses) used to be in the 5 euros bins are now at 7 euros. Records that were 10 euros are now 15 euros... and so on... and that change have just happened since this summer !
    There is one store in Paris where the minimum price is 30 euros for french repressings that do not worth their asking price. Hopefully there is an other one shop where it is possible to buy very clean UK pressings for 10 euros.

3. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I have noticed the upward price creep at both local shops and record shows. There is a comic and toy shop near me that sells vinyl and the prices are way out of line. 40 bucks for a Tattoo You, 45 for Brothers In Arms etc etc. Both of those caught my attention because I have minty copies from 2 dollar bins.

hi_watt likes this.
  4. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

Supply and demand. Lots of hipster types grabbing records these days means prices on some of the popular stuff just keeps rising. :(

EasterEverywhere and bluesbro like this.
  5. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

When I joined this forum years ago, it was 90% cd nerds. CD's were still coveted and $8 used. Now this place is 90% vinyl nerds and cd's are worth $1-3 used.

You should have kept your records and bought more in the 90's. Jumping on trends rarely makes financial sense.

For what it's worth, Doobie Brothers records are still cheap. Knock yourselves out.

Rodz42, markp, hi_watt and 1 other person like this.
  6. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Yes and No! The really good stuff that everybody wants is definitely going through the roof. However, you can still find a lot of mid 1970's stuff, eg. Doobies, Supertramp, Steely Dan, etc. for some really good prices and still in good shape. I think that a lot record clubs over pressed certain titles so there is still a good supply of those floating around.

When it comes to the Beatles, Stones, Dylan, Led Zep, Bowie, Pink Floyd, various sixties pressings, etc. Good luck! Those records are starting to command silly prices.

7. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

But what about us 50/50 nerds :D My local Goodwill lp prices skyrocketed to 1.99 from .99 a year ago

LordThanos1969 and Malina like this.
  8. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Add in the fact that the young hipsters grew up paying $15-20 for a new cd, and retailers have a lot of room to raise lp prices before a hipster would perceive a record as expensive.

jeffd7030 and Peter Pyle like this.
  9. Six String

Six String Senior Member

If one is too young to have been purchasing records in the 1990s, you missed the nadir of vinyl prices and time will tell if you'll get another chance. Some shops in my area have raised prices but the biggest shop still has very reasonable prices. One shop an hour away that I visited for the first time a month ago had very few records below $8, though his records were in good shape for the most part. He told me that all of his records were nm or close to it. I found quite a few exceptions to that statement but overall I agree with that statement. It looks like he has figured out what he has to sell his stock for in order to make a living.

Because of the increasing demand and dwindling supply record hunters have to expand their horizons if they want to keep their costs down. For the most part though, the golden years of plentiful and cheap vinyl is going the way of the buffalo. They won't become extinct but the herds will never be as robust as they once were.

EasterEverywhere and Jgirar01 like this.
  10. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

I wouldn't shop at a store that doesn't list prices (maybe I'm spoiled for choice with plenty of shops around here). Even at a record fair, I just walk away from the tables where I'm expected to show the seller what I want with no clue what he will ask.

11. Guy Gadbois

Guy Gadbois Chief Inspector Thread Starter

Those hipsters make me crazy. I can't wait till the fad dies down and they sell all their records for Pono or whatever is next.

Peter Pyle likes this.
  12. Guy Gadbois

Jerry's a good guy, for sure. But 80% of what he's got isn't anything that most people would want. He's got thousands of soundtrack albums that will be there forever, along with the German pan flute music.

Rodz42 likes this.
  13. Guy Gadbois

I guess my point is that, a year or two ago, this same shop owner wouldn't have got out his price guide to figure out how much to charge.

14. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Goodwill, Yard sales, Flea Markets.

Used stores are taking advantage of the record "Fad" or whatever you want to call it.

I sold literally hundreds and hundreds of good clean titles for only about a buck or two each, and they did not all sale fast. (( about 7-8 years ago....))

15. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Yeah, gladly had over $100 each, no questions asked. Maybe the shop owner should have taken the time to price the records to begin with. When did money start growing on trees?

16. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Forum Resident

Jumping on trends rarely makes financial sense, but starting a new hobby rarely makes financial sense either. I've never picked up a hobby in an effort to generate cashflow.

dustybooks likes this.
  17. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I totally agree that the records should be priced, it's kind of the main part of job when you have a record shop, but those two records are still worth a lot more than $100 a piece if the condition is as described.

There's a guy who sells Reggae at UK record fairs, I'm sure the UK Reggae buyers on here will know who I mean, he has thousands of records none of which are priced, now that would just be an annoyance if it wasn't for the fact that he bases the price not only on what the record is, but on who's buying it, not a good business practice and I know a few people who won't deal with him anymore.

Man at C&A, Aftermath and troggy like this.
  18. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

It's kind of happening at the main shop that I go to, but the prices aren't as high as in your situation. I'm glad the guy who runs the local shop I frequent, Record City, is fair about his pricing. I'm fortunate to have shopped there for a long time, so he'll give me a decent deal. I got to say that the main Pink Floyd titles do not last. Even pricing Animals at 19.99, it won't last in the used bin.

19. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

OK, well then I guess for awhile you were able to get an advantage. However, the owner should have been charging more all along.

Aftermath likes this.
  20. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

It's slowly happening at the shops I frequent here in the South. More noticeable on common titles than the truly rare. I once asked one of my favorite places why the pricing on Michael Jackson's "Thriller" was now in the 18 buck range when 6 months ago it was fetching 8 and he said the younger crowd constantly buys them so he keeps hiking the price to see where the max is. Does the same with Van Morrison. The Police's Synchronicty has gone from 3 bucks to $16 in a year. I like the guy and he's more than generous in other cases it just amuses me how inflated stuff has gotten since the resurgence for the hipster newbie who doesn't know any better.

mosogotamravip and Cronverc like this.
  21. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

What would you have him do, though? He is making a living and knows there are people who will pay $18 for Thriller.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  22. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Unfortunately, if prices start getting too high, I fear that it is going to put the "kibosh" on the vinyl resurrection. People will start to get tainted and start thinking that maybe I don't need it that bad.

23. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Its the hipsters. Time to grab those cheap CDs that are being unloaded.

Peter Pyle likes this.
  24. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Five years ago you could have picked that record up in near mint condition for $1.00 all day long. What?, they pressed about 10 million of those or so. Give me a break!

Cronverc likes this.
  25. It's just being lazy not to price a record.

Rodz42 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.