Ritchie Blackmore's new lineup

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Murph, Nov 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich! Thread Starter

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Anyone familiar with the vocalist? If it is truly only going to be a few shows, why not put together a great band of former collaborators? While it will certainly be interesting to hear him plug-in one more time, this is not exactly the most exciting rock band he has put together....

GodShifter and Murph like this.
  3. jimbags

jimbags Forum Resident

He's already sacked two of them

Octowen, Gersh, Meng and 14 others like this.
  4. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

This is the singer's band (Lords of Black - Ronnie Romero):

He sounds pretty good IMO. Best thing about this band actually.

5. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Seems like a lot of work to put together a brand new band, practice/rehearse and then do just 3 shows? I'm hoping more are announced........is there no demand for even a single show in the states at medium sized arena?

6. Gregster

Gregster Forum Resident

Hello,

The possibility of using previous members would have been not only expensive ( contracts etc etc ), but a majority of the surviving members of both Rainbow & Deep Purple are still quite busy doing their-own-things, so a new line-up would have always been the path-of-least-resistance by-a-long-shot, especially for only a hand-full of gigs.

That's one thing for sure about all of this, is it's really an official farewell to fans, that have really only had a diet-of Blackmore's Night to enjoy(?) for so-many-years...At least he finally respects his past & roots at long last ! And the joys of a Marshall Stack with a Stratocaster !!!

To those that get to see him, I hope you enjoy yourselves, as no-doubt he'll be playing his a**-off ! ( Not just noodling around ).

Cheers,

Gregster

7. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

He has no idea how this will be received. It could be a tremendous success or be a dud. If these three gigs get good press and general buzz, maybe more will happen. A full-on reunion of a previous version would be more certain, but either he's burned those bridges, or, like Gregster suggested, either the money or the time is not there.

Wombat Reynolds and Lk4605 like this.
  8. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

This is interesting. At first I wasn't sure if this was Coverdales/Whitesnake Purple Album version, then parts of it sounded like Dio a little bit. Either way its a very good impersonation of a more mature Coverdale. But, I don't hear Freddie Mercury in there.

PDK likes this.
  9. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Unless they were part of a festival bill, I doubt Rainbow could generate enough interest for a medium size arena in the US. As I recall, the last Rainbow tour of the US was in clubs 20 years ago. That was a totally new band as well.

While I'm a little disappointed that I'm only familiar with the keyboard player, I'm also kind of intrigued that Blackmore went with a group of mostly unknown players. Joe Lynn Turner must be pissed. ;)

GodShifter and Murph like this.
  10. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Graham Bonnet also offerd his services, according to Classic Rock. But he suggested RB should just focus on a Deep Purple reformation rather than Rainbow.

11. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Jens Johansson on keyboards eh? Nothing wrong with that I suppose. Yup, I'd imagine JLT kicking up a stink over not getting chosen too lol.

12. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

i prefer a new group like this. the 1995 Rainbow was a new group of unknowns and it was a fantastic one.

13. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I don't recall them playing arenas in the US in their heyday. They played theaters in New Jersey. I assume their will be a dvd. I would like to see Ritchie ripping it up on the strat.

14. petercl

petercl Forum Resident

Straight Between the Eyes was an arena tour, but they were with The Scorpions who were breaking out at the time.

Crush Everything and Fullbug like this.
  15. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Their you go - double bill.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  16. Of course, Bonnet never had a chance anyway - the last thing Blackmore needs right now is a singer at risk of sneaking off just before showtime to get a haircut.

17. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I just played those linked clips of Ronnie Romero's performances. Meh...he's OK, but a bit generic, IMO. I think Russell Allen (Symphony X) would have been a better choice if Blackmore wanted to go for that style of RJD type vocals, for which he obviously does.

Crush Everything likes this.
  18. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Agreed. He has a sprinkle of Dio in his voice too. I would go see them.

boboquisp and dkmonroe like this.
  19. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Yeah, there has to be serious obstacles if Blackmore has any interest in bringing this line-up to the U.S. At best he would have to shoot for small theaters, and even that might be a stretch based on how poorly the band was received during the mid-90's when they were relegated to playing clubs.

20. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

A "cross between Dio and Freddie Mercury"? Wow, I'm trying to wrap my brain around the idea of how that's supposed to sound but can't.

wowliksom and supernaut like this.
  21. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

The new guy is just as generic as they get. A poor man's Jorn Lande.

22. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

I guess he's going for an even heavier version of Purple/Rainbow. I think I'd rather him track down Rod Evans and see if he would give it a go. :hide:

23. zen

zen Senior Member

[​IMG] ...and...[​IMG]

24. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I can't imagine that his Blackmore's Night dummer could handle "A Light in the Black," Kill the King," or any of his heavier songs unless there's an inner beast that isn't being currently tapped.. I guess we'll find out! I do like the new singer, though.

patel kismet and highway chile like this.
  25. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Not impressed. Sounds like your generic metaler.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.