Riverdale (WB)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by David Egan, Jan 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I can't help but think, every time I see a commercial for this show:

MikaelaArsenault and FVDnz like this.
  2. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Other thing I think is cool is how Josie and the Pussycats are all black too. Wonder if we'll get a new Sabrina Teenage Witch in the future, should Riverdale do well - and the show has now been renewed for Season 2 just announced the other day.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

BARB IS IN THIS SHOW!!! at least, that's what I've heard.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident

I have been a big Archie Comics fan nearly my entire life (I'm 34). I watched the complete first season with some interest. However, I will pass on the rest. Certain things, particularly Clifford Blossom murdering his son Jason and hanging himself are big stains on the Archie Comics franchise.
    The creator claimed that he was trying to "deconstruct the Archie Myth,"-a horrendous idea for an Archie Comics TV show.

dkmonroe likes this.
  5. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I thought that the whole appeal of Archie was that he was a clean cut kid.

Upsiditus and dkmonroe like this.
  6. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

The fascination of a lot of people in the entertainment business today is to take things that were always "clean cut entertainment" and throw some mud on them so everyone can be confirmed in their jaded cynicism.

7. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

+1000

dkmonroe likes this.
  8. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Unfortunately, I think it is considered edgy to take characters we are used to and taking them in a radical direction to make them more relevant. It is not just Archie but with other characters.

As an example, DC Comics recently reimagined Wacky Races (the slapstick Saturday Morning cartoon) and released it as Wacky Raceland. While I enjoyed the series, they made many drastic changes to the characters and set them in a "Mad Max" type world and made the racers battle-tested killers who are just trying to survive in a nightmare world so they have a chance for the winner to go to Utopia.

However, sometimes the change can make an uninteresting character more interesting. In Green Lantern they introduced John Stewart as Hal Jordan's backup and eventual replacement (when Jordan quit for a time). While he was an okay character he wasn't really interesting to me.

That changed due to his appearance in Justice League where they made him a former marine and gave him a military-like nature (it was so strong that they added this to his comic book portrayal). Unlike other Green Lanterns, when Stewart creates something with his ring he creates the pieces and then assembles them (when he created a sniper rifle, you could see each piece of the rifle as it is assembled). Added to that, in the comics they made him a tragic character (due to a mistake caused by his arrogance, a planet he was protecting was destroyed) that was still dealing with the guilt of his actions. Due to this, John Stewart has become my favorite Green Lantern.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    dkmonroe likes this.
  9. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

That's crazy about Wacky Races. That's the kind of thing I mean - where something was supposed to be just simple-hearted and silly, but they've gotta ugly it up to make it "relevant" or whatever. It's unnecessary.

The whole thing about Archie is that it's supposed to be light hearted fun, and the characters are supposed to be uncomplicated, carefree teenagers. That's why the MAD magazine parody making them into thugs was so funny. Making a series that's basically Gossip Girl with Archie character names is just ridiculous.

10. Solitaire1

That's the reason that the Archie Gang has been stuck at 16 years old for decades. Old enough to work at a job, drive a car, and go to High School, while not yet having to worry about more adult issues (such as college and marriage).

One of the things I like about Life With Archie is that while they had gang deal with more adult issues* they were still the same characters we knew from the classic comics.

*Including Archie having trouble dealing with Veronica as his boss, Midge finally dumping Moose for being abusive and turning toward Jughead, Archie as a struggling musician who is also working as a teacher, and Miss Grundy dying of cancer after marrying Principal Weatherbee.

dkmonroe likes this.
  11. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I enjoy it quite well, which probably means it will get cancelled soon.

12. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident

Actually, it has already been renewed for a second season.

Rfreeman likes this.
  13. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident

It's also often a humorous comic book, but the CW show has very few comedic moments.

14. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I'm getting tired of this kind thinking writing some people really need to quit the biz
    lack anything original and desperate to hold at any cost..
    Let's Make Scooby Doo dark... he will be Pitbull and and the Gang
    are emoe's and goths.. lots of tattoo's and speed metal music in the
    background..

dkmonroe likes this.
  15. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Wow!
    Cool show!

16. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

2 thumbs up for Betty Cooper - Mad world!!!!

Wicked Betty!!!!!!!!!

17. Solitaire1

I was visiting my local comic book shop and it looks like DC Comics has already taken Scooby Doo in the direction. I glanced through the comic and looks like it features the Scooby Gang going up against real zombies or monsters.

It is in keeping with the direction that DC Comics has taken with other Hanna-Barbera properties. In addition to Wacky Races (see my previous post), they have also done The Flintstones. While keeping the "modern stone age family" nature of the series they have put a more modern attitude into the series such as Mr. Slate hiring neanderthals because they have no concept of money so he won't have to pay them. The Jetsons: It looks like they are explaining why everyone lives in those high towers that put their homes high above the planet (they give a hint in one of the animated episodes where there is a massive cloud of smog above the planet and all of the building rise above the smog cloud).

18. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Veronica's catsuit made my day....

19. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Having a Net-binge. Lovin' Dark Betty.
    Our views aren't coloured as the comic was never a thing in the UK. I can just let it unfold, having no clue who these people are, other than what I'm shown. Mid-way through the 2nd series. Getting a tad bored of the whole 'Who is the black hood/Is he dead or not?' Move on...
    Other than that, it's great.

20. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

I tried watching this show but I didn't care for it. I never got past the 3rd episode of the 1st season. The casting is terrible. None of them can act, with the exception of Luke Perry. It's like watching a really bad high school play. I'm gonna switch back to reruns of How I Met Your Mother.

I agree with the other person in this thread who thought Riverdale spoiled Archie Comics. It didn't just deconstruct the franchise. It completely ruined it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.