RL Led Zeppelin II -- Is this the Real Deal?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by katstep, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder Thread Starter

I stopped by my favorite thrift store today and was sifting through the vinyl bins and came across a well worn copy of Led Zeppelin II. Rough cover, seam split, etc. I normally would have passed it up, but after spending so much time here at SH forums, I now look at each and every copy of this that I come across. Lo and behold, I'm pretty sure that this is the legendary RL cut. The reason I'm posting the picture is that the RL in the deadwax doesn't look like the RL I know so well. Did his mark evolve over time, like most signatures do? Advice would be appreciated.
    It plays with a fair amount of surface noise and is by no means pristine, but it is very playable. The cost? $4. Is this the real deal?

[​IMG]

2. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Yes. Nothing the matter with that. You find the same looking 'RL' on some Band records. How is side 2? There are different pressings.

3. xman

xman Active Member

Great detailed picture. Good on you.

4. katstep

Cool, so I lucked out! Sounds really nice on my modest system.

5. inperson

inperson Senior Member

That's what I first thought! I can't get anywhere near that with my digital camera.

6. katstep

It's just my little 4 year old Canon A530 on macro setting. The thing focuses within an inch or two. Pretty amazing tech. Took a little trial and error though! First time I've attempted to shoot deadwax.

7. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Crop that RL and you'd have one very cool avatar!

8. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Just found the same style RL on a Jan Akkerman - Profiles LP that I was cleaning yesterday

9. katstep

Good idea! I might do that!

10. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

There's a huge thread here just about 'RL' cut vinyl. Lots of LPs. That guy was working.

11. Engineer X

Engineer X Forum Resident

Hey Katstep, did you find it at Dave's (Fatty) thrift?

12. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

That record looks beat. There are some mighty grooves in there though.

13. katstep

Yup! I think I even passed it by last week when I saw you there. Nice find, but I wish it were a little cleaner. I'll have to run it thru the vacuum a couple of more times.

14. katstep

Yes, it's far from pristine, but plays fine and is not trashed (the close up, harsh flash tends to amplify any imperfections). I wouldn't have bought it otherwise. Of course there's some surface noise, but I can live with it until I find a cleaner one.

15. buckeye1010

buckeye1010 Zephead Buckeye

Even on beat-up LZII RLs, the power seeps from them there grooves! I got two beat-up ones (different styles) - anyone want to trade me one not-so-beat up for two beat-up ones?

:sigh:
    I didn't think so....

Congrats, BTW! One never knows what they might find!

16. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Hey, the first one I got was when another forum member here found an "archive quality" LZII RL at a local record shop for $5 and sold me his old beat-up copy. If I were in the US I'd be regularly checking used record bins.

17. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I finally saw one of these at a shop today after checking the deadwax on every copy of LZII I've seen for over a year. Alas, it looked pretty rough and the shop was asking $20 for it so I took a pass :sigh: I just can't justify spending that much on a record that couldn't possibly grade out better than G, no matter what it is.

18. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Here! Here!

JG

19. slunky

slunky Forum Resident

$20.00? Yikes! Why on earth would they charge so much for a beat up record? It's not even a rare title. Maybe they're hip to the 'RL' thing...

20. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

Macro setting is best and yes, looks like a genuine RL.

21. buckeye1010

buckeye1010 Zephead Buckeye

22. katstep

Thanks to all who replied to verify my find! SH forums are awesome!

23. katstep

24. underdog73

underdog73 Forum Resident

I found a trashed FAIR copy with heat damage on the edge. You guys are SOOOOO right about how great sounding the "RL" version is -- even with the "warm crackly fire" playing in the background :) Too bad I can't really play the 1st song on each side. My search will continue for a better copy...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.