Roadies (Cameron Crowe's new series on Showtime) *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dok, Jun 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dok

Dok Senior Member Thread Starter

Really? No thread on Cameron Crowe's new series on Showtime? NSFW BTW though the youtube version has been slightly censored. Hulu has it uncensored if you have a membership there.

amoergosum likes this.
  2. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I forgot about this series. I'll have to track down the first ep.

3. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

Looks like fun I'll have to check it out...

4. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Will have to wait for dvd ,
    unless another free
    Showtime wknd comes up .

vince likes this.
  5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Managed to find sometime to watch it last night. I liked the first episode. I'll keep watching. It looks like it'll be one of those easy to watch type series.

6. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

Based on the first episode, looks like the only worthwhile part of this show will be the soundtrack.

7. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident

i am a die hard Crowe fan and i know everything he makes isn't perfect but i love the atmosphere he creates on screen. His characters are always rich with flavor and i think this show has real potential. I don't see it as a runaway hit series but for those that enjoy his style of film making i think the Crowe fans will thoroughly enjoy it all the way through. The soundtrack, Ron White, Imogen Poots and the other members of the cast were really great. Cant wait for the second episode!

Remurmur likes this.
  8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I read about Ron White talking about Ronnie Van Zant, on Facebook today. Good old Cameron, will always love Ronnie.

9. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I thought Almost Famous was really good so I was looking forward to this. I'll give it another chance but I couldn't find much to like about it. Annoying characters, poorly written dialogue & something else that I couldn't put my finger on. I disliked this as much as everyone else disliked Vinyl.

bababooey likes this.
  10. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Hope it's good. I won't subscribe to Showtime just to get it though. I'll wait until it's available in other ways. And see what the reviews and public response is like.

I suppose having Crowe involved with it might give it a boost, although he hasn't DIRECTED a good movie in years. I generally like Luke Wilson. (Liked him a lot in the series he was in with Laura Dern a few years back.)

11. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

It's pleasant, but I don't see how any of these characters are going to develop into interesting people. Or if they are, they're keeping it well hidden. Crowe actually interviewed at length for a book Billy Wilder - who excelled at writing characters who were up to no good - and you'd think CC would have picked up on that. Drama = conflict and all. A little of the skateboarding film student goes a loooooong way.

I'll hasten to add that I like his movies, even when they veer too much into the land of whimsy. But they seem increasingly populated by characters who are intelligent enough to eloquently articulate (at length) their philosophy of life, or meaning of life, or poetic ruminations. Yet they seem clueless about how to solve their own problems. Multi-dimensional, but somehow lacking depth.

Scotian likes this.
  12. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I really liked the Pilot episode and found it to be a very good example of what Cameron Crowe does best, with fine performances throughout. It's a charming workplace comedy, Crowe's version of what Aaron Sorkin did on all of his shows. Looking forward to the next one.

jon9091 likes this.
  13. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

Episode 2 more boring than the first...an hour of Cameron Crowe trying to show that despite being old he is still cool....should have known when a "roadie" who looks all of 19 very dramatically announces that she "just doesn't hear music the same way anymore". Please....but may still be a notch above Vinyl.

14. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

I'd forgotten all about this. I'll give the first episode a watch soon. I've just noticed that Imogen Poots is in it, she's cool.

15. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

all the band name dropping made me all o_O

Malina likes this.
  16. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Enjoyed the pilot and looking forward to episode II. Thought there was very good chemistry between Wilson/Gugino and Poots/The Suit.

17. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

Agree, and I found it worse than Vinyl which at least had some decent acting in spite of the writing/plot weaknesses. Roadies doe'snt take itself seriously, and it's not very funny, the show comes across as being pretty stupid- plus never was a fan of the lead actor. Crowe may have succeeded with "Almost famous", but flops with the similarly themed "Roadies". I Expected way better.

18. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I've got some great roadie stories !

Being an equipment setter-upper, sound reinforcement twirling hob knobber....to doing merchandising for bands.

Not sure exactly what this Cameron show is about and it's aspects...but just being a 'gorilla' roadie ain't much fun. Being in the 'top banana' tier is where it's at ! :D

19. Complier

Complier Senior Member

Episode two is as bad, if not worse than the pilot.

20. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I could not make it through the first episode

Jack and Mr Class & Quality? like this.
  21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Call me crazy, but I really liked the show quite a bit. I thought the dialogue was snappy, it was never boring, it looked really good visually, the characters were fairly well-defined, it made sense, there was some humor balanced with the drama... I don't have a problem with it. The show just looks like a modernized extension of Almost Famous, and I liked a lot of that, too. The technical aspects (sound, lighting, VFX) were first-rate, and I even thought the fake 1970s/1980s songs were good.

Hey, at least it's better than Vinyl. :sigh: Ratings are not very good so far, so the public agrees with the vast majority of you...

‘Ray Donovan’ Returns Steady As ‘Roadies’ Debuts Low In Live+3 »

22. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I'm just tired Cameron Crowe period. He out lasted welcome...
    Take a powder cammy..

Jack likes this.
  23. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Waiting for the first Allman Brothers reference.....in the meantime, I will watch anything
    with Imogen Poots in it.

wbhendrix likes this.
  24. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

33 percent from critics on Rotten Tomatoes, that's enough for me to pass. I couldn't even make it through the trailer on Vinyl. I had a feeling that The Night Of from HBO was going to be good, just checked RT and it has a very high rating, gonna check that one out.

The Night Of: Miniseries »

25. Me neither.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.