Rob Reed-Sanctuary-July 21 (fan's of Mike Oldfield take note)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by peterzac, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peterzac

peterzac Forum Resident Thread Starter

Rob is main person behind band Magenta and came out with fantastic release a couple of years ago called Kompendium(has to be heard in 5.1, fantastic).

Now he is putting out a solo album and as title of this post I think this is his musical love letter to what Mike Oldfield music did for him.
    Check out this 2 minute teaser for the new album:

http://prog.teamrock.com/news/2014-06-10/rob-reed-to-release-his-own-tubular-bells

peter

2. Robert van Diggele

Robert van Diggele Forum Resident

This promises to be a great release, in 5.1 as well. The Magenta albums are very proggy and Kompendium is high quality music.

Rob is also an excellent surround mixer, for me on the same level as Steven Wilson is.

3. peterzac

4. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Love his work -- and the Kompendium 5.1 is stunning. From the little clip, this will be good too!

5. peterzac

I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned anything here.
    I would have thought music lovers would be all over this.
    Just had my first listen yesterday and this is a amazing recording, everything everyobody loves here, crystal clear flat recording and was made for surround.
    You can definitely here the Mike Oldfield influence in so many parts of this album.
    Have to run will hopefully report more but hope some others will chime in as this is very,very good.

peter

6. Robert van Diggele

Too busy enjoying the album to write about it ;)

Just kidding, the album in definitely a Mike Oldfield tribute, the influence is clear. Nothing to worry about though, the melodies are fresh and very good. The mix is on par with the Kompendium mix. When you have that one, you know enough.

When you are unfamiliar with Kompendium or other Rob Reed mixes, for me his mix work is on par with that of Steven Wilson. Rob makes very good use of the rear speakers with excellent placement of instruments. Highly recommended, and for the low price, it is hard to hesitate :)

peterzac and calgary669 like this.
  7. Arjan

Arjan Senior Member

Another recommendation. The Mike Oldfield influences are obvious. A record for those who enjoy the early Mike Oldfield records.

calgary669 likes this.
  8. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Is there a place to download the 5.1 mix in a lossless or uncompressed format?

9. Robert van Diggele

As far as I can see the 5.1 is only available on the dvd-av.

10. JonMcK

JonMcK Forum Resident

A great homage to Oldfield and sounds wonderful in 5.1.

The promo videos are pretty clever as well.

Robert van Diggele likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.